DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

Cross posted from the media thread

It's a celebration of Ichiro's 3000th hit, tempered by the passing on the day of recording of longtime ESPN anchor John Saunders. On the podcast today are Joe Lucia (@Joe_TOC) from Awful Announcing and The Comeback and former ESPN producer Gus Ramsey (@GusRamsey)'

Joe talks about John Saunders (1:29), Ichiro's 3000 hits and his amazing MLB season (5:07), the rash of retiring players this week (15:33), the August 1 trade deadline (21:26), the Aaron Sanchez soap opera in Toronto (22:42), rooting for bad teams (26:46), NBC's Rio Olympics coverage (33:08) and televising internationl futbol in the US (37:45).

Gus discusses John Saunders (48:34), Ichiro (53:00), retiring players (58:10), the Dan and Kieth years on Sportscenter (1:01:06), Sports Night and other depictions of newsrooms in TV and Film (1:05:29), working on the WWE Network's Edge and Christian Show (1:12:24), the state of current WWE (1:26:50), his new Talent Coach service for broadcasters (1:31:31) and the new Madden and other video games (1:39:15).

http://tinyurl.com/winter42

• Like 1

This Alex Rodriguez thing is so stupid. Why couldn't they just let him to at least get 700? Girardi is toting this not being responsible to do the retirement tour bs, even though he kept starting (and batting second!) Jeter during his dog ass final year. They possibly could've gotten SOMETHING for him at the deadline or on waivers. Sounds impossible, but somebody would've probably signed him, if not for skills then at least because he's on the precipice of a pretty serious accomplishment. That's a money grabber  

I'm a Phillies, not a Yankees fan so there's no bias or preference to this argument. I just generally think it's dumb. 

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Because Fuck A-Rod?

I am now imagining that the discussion about him with the team execs went exactly like this. Meeting gets called, one sentence is spoken, everyone agrees, and off they go about the rest of their days.

Thanks for the laugh!

• Like 1

Matt Holliday broke his thumb. Poor baby. One of the dirtiest players in MLB and the guy most likely to be in the conversation with Will Clark for biggest asshole got knocked down a peg.

• Like 1

It fills me with such joy even when my team is doing bad. I'll even root for the Cubs over anyone else in the playoffs just to get the curse thing out of the way. If Miami and AZ can have 2 WS a piece in the last 20some years, let the Cubs have one every century or so.

The rain pouring onto A-Rod's pregame ceremony, sending him trotting quickly into the dugout while holding his commemorative autographed base...it's one of those little things to treasure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

The rain pouring onto A-Rod's pregame ceremony, sending him trotting quickly into the dugout while holding his commemorative autographed base...it's one of those little things to treasure.

I'll take the RBI double helping the Yankees to a win over that. 

It got a little dusty in my living room at the end seeing Alex hug his daughters on the field. 

Busy transaction day

Yanks call up Aaron Judge and announce he will be the starting RF going forward

Jonathan Papelbon asks Nats to release him, Nats will DFA him instead (that isn't 100% official but what the local reporters are saying)

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So....

Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge just went back to back HR which was each's first career AB

On a day where the Yankees celebrate the 20th anniversary of the '96 championship. Somewhere in the distance, John Smoltz can still be heard crying. 

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So....

Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge just went back to back HR which was each's first career AB

Elias is saying this is the first time this has ever happened

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So....

Such a cool thing. I love the fact that this game is coming up on 150 years of professional play, and there is still stuff happening for the first time.

Judge destroyed that fucking thing, by the way. I also like that Austin's came back on the field and Judge's landed in the net, so they got them back real easily.

• Like 1