DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

I still expect the Dodgers to pick up A-Rod for no apparent reason and demand to pay his contract next year to prove some illogical point. Also, they'll put him in Center Field.

Let's check in with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

County Supervisor Andy Kunasek sent a letter to Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall as the dispute reached a climax in April, describing the baseball business as "evolving into a parasitic enterprise." He accused Hall of selling a "false narrative," slandering county board members and doing "irreparable harm" to taxpayer confidence in government.

As Kunasek delivered the letter to the team, he directed a profanity-laced storm at Hall, calling on owner Ken Kendrick to "take your stupid baseball team and get out" and go back to "f--king West Virginia," according to team notes that Kunasek does not dispute

This is fine.

• Like 4

Noted in the General Media thread. He also had a STRONG HOT TAKE about them cancelling football games now because of snow and rain. Yes, because they should play on glorified concrete in a meaningless preseason game.

A hot take is something people say to get a rise out of people, even though they probably don't believe the opinion and it doesn't have any basis in reality.

For example - saying Derek Jeter isn't a top ten Yankee ever is a hot take. Saying he's not a top 20 Yankee ever is a MOLTEN take.

• Like 2

So what's the thing where they reflexively say something incredibly ignorant and regressive that they assume will resonate with "sports bros" or whoever their perceived audience is?

I was kind of calling that a hot take, but maybe I should just go back to calling it "being a racist/sexist/homophobic asshole/douche/cuntfart."

That's potentially soooo many words though! 

10 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

The issue is that Time Warner launched the Lakers RSN a year or two earlier, and they want the providers to double dip. If they bundled them for a lower fee per network, this wouldn't be an issue.

They totally misread the market, especially given the fact that there are two established Fox RSNs in the market already. I'd be pissed if I lived in LA, but I'd get it. They're not just clashing over a few cents here.

There's no reason for them to not package the channels, I haven't understood why such a seemingly simple compromise hasn't been reached. After all the fuckery that went on with Frank McCourt, I had assumed that the new owners would want to stay away from anything that could be construed as an overt "fuck you" to the fanbase.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

So what's the thing where they reflexively say something incredibly ignorant and regressive that they assume will resonate with "sports bros" or whoever their perceived audience is?

I was kind of calling that a hot take, but maybe I should just go back to calling it "being a racist/sexist/homophobic asshole/douche/cuntfart."

That's potentially soooo many words though! 

I personally call them STRONG OPINIONS (all caps, obviously), but you can call them hot takes as well.

It's all the same garbage. PIRANESI HAS SOME TRULY HOT TAKES. As with most things it can be blamed on Tim Tebow and yelling robots.

Wow, its even got a wikipedia page.

A hot take is a journalism term derisively used to describe a "piece of deliberately provocative commentary that is based almost entirely on shallow moralizing" in response to a news story,[1] "usually written on tight deadlines with little research or reporting, and even less thought".[2]

The term gained popularity in sports journalism in 2012 to describe the coverage of National Football League quarterback Tim Tebow, and was analyzed in a Pacific Standard article by Tomás Ríos.[1] It became increasingly used in other forms of journalism in 2014 after a piece on The Awl by John Herrman to describe the economic pressure on online publishers to produce instant, often glib, responses to current events.[3]

In April 2015, Buzzfeed editor Ben Smith wrote on Twitter, "We are trying not to do hot takes," to explain the deletion of two articles that were critical of the site's advertisers. Readers responded by pointing out that the deleted articles were not hot takes.[1] Jezebel's Jia Tolentino argued that the articles were instead "actually in service of an idea" and that based on Herrman's definition of "hot take", ideas were positive alternatives to hot takes.[4]

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Meh...hard to  ever feel bad for fat cat owners lol.

Especially the Rangers owners. Especially after they lay out a cool billion for their new stadium with heavy taxpayer monies.

• Like 5

The Tigers were brilliant for dumping Fielder's huge contract, and getting back the still highly productive, Ian Kinsler in that deal. 

If Todd Grisham gets canned for his comments about Ichiro, I'm sure the Harris Brothers would get him a job in TNA. 

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

Especially the Rangers owners. Especially after they lay out a cool billion for their new stadium with heavy taxpayer monies.

Well you have to realize that they desperately needed a new stadium as the one they have is an ancient artifact at 23 years old. Jesse Ventura had one thing right: we don't replace 25 year old schools, why the hell are we replacing 25 year old stadiums and arenas?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Well you have to realize that they desperately needed a new stadium as the one they have is an ancient artifact at 23 years old. Jesse Ventura had one thing right: we don't replace 25 year old schools, why the hell are we replacing 25 year old stadiums and arenas?

In the case of the Rangers, they want a cooler stadium. As in literally cooler. Their current stadium is an absolute roasting oven with no air movement whatsoever. Just an incredible oversight in the original design. 

That said, the current stadium does not need to be replaced - if the taxpayers are paying a dime, that is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Couldn't they spend far less and re-design it somehow to have air flow?

They wanted a roof - but a roof is too expensive and would require the team to vacate during construction. 

Why they can't just bust a few holes in the walls and stick in some fans... that I can't answer.