DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] AUGUST 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Okay - I guess this needs to be said

On the Takeover Conference Call - Triple H said that Corey Graves is WWE now and that there will be a new announcer for NXT (or more than one)

It wasn't clear when exactly that is happening but I am assuming at most Graves calls Takeover but someone else works the tapings

• Like 1

If it's a dweeb no-name for an announcer I'll be really annoyed.   The NXT commentary team was my favorite bar none before CWC started.  Graves going all Heenan-like with the right guy to play off of him was a joy to my ears.  I'm hoping since that will be stopped that he goes all Heenan on Byron now.  I'm really hoping for somebody worthwhile to replace him.

I am wondering if they are trying to get someone to make the transition - similar to like Graves - who they move from full time wrestler to full time announcer

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Why does HHH hate us?!?

Unless Regal is coming back to the booth, in which case, YAY HHH!

Seriously though, they might as well use HBK for that spot.

I don't know how good Michaels would be in that spot. He's probably not all that familiar with the nxt roster. Heaven help us if we were to get pilled up Shawn on commentary. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know how good Michaels would be in that spot. He's probably not all that familiar with the nxt roster. Heaven help us if we were to get pilled up Shawn on commentary. 

Presumably if he's already started training/teaching the finishing class at the Performance Center, he's familiar with the roster.  I don't know if he's started teaching it yet though.

That sucks that Corey won't be doing NXT, but he has tremendously improved Raw already. I guess he can't be everywhere. Long term, it's tough to see who could replace him because (a) he was such a natural in the booth and (b) worked with the roster and had his finger directly on the pulse with everyone's character and the audience they were presented to. Maybe they'll get lucky and another "going nowhere" midcarder like Wesley Blake will find his real calling is as an announcer.

In the mean time, maybe Big E can fill in for a round of tapings while he heals from his ringpostitis to pick on young boy Tom.

Bloom wasn't terrible before, and maybe with training he could get there, but talking was really never his strong suit. Obviously Regal could do it, but as authority figure, he seems to already have his on-camera role set, and I'd hate to change that because the MR has so overdone the heel authority figure trope that it's nice that they're finally remembering "Oh yeah, maybe let's not hit the fans across the face with the people ostensibly in charge who are also the people actually in charge shitting on them every week."