DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] AUGUST 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So does Daria instantly become the weirdest person Nakamura has ever teamed with?

For those that don't know what I am talking about

Daria Beranto and Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Riddick Moss and Billie Kay.

12 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

It's weird because of how so far down the card she is.  But she does a MMA gimmick, so it kind of makes a little sense.

She is also openly gay so MAIN EVENTER~!

(I am mostly joking but she was also the one person Meltzer specifically named as "don't be surprised if she starts getting pushed" after Steph's announcement.)

On 8/12/2016 at 3:15 PM, Brysynner said:

Poor Nikki Cross, I feel like she has a winning lawsuit against whoever ran the NXT Olympics for lack of proper medical doctors on site.

So based on this Nikki's character is the WWE version of Mary Catherine Gallagher from the 90's Saturday Night Live shows.  If she can take the same bumps as Molly Shannon I would be fine with it

Who was the monster in that video?  Man I hope they hide him when Vince looks at the Performance center

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

So based on this Nikki's character is the WWE version of Mary Catherine Gallagher from the 90's Saturday Night Live shows.  If she can take the same bumps as Molly Shannon I would be fine with it

I don't think she has changed from her indy gimmick actually going off what I saw of her in Stardom

On 8/10/2016 at 10:54 AM, Matt D said:

I also haven't been to 9:30 since I lived in the city back in 2006. Did wrestling ever run there (ECW maybe? I saw ECW at the Roxy in Boston in 1999 which feels like a similar venue)? I know WCW used to run in the Armory by RFK. I used to live a 3 minute walk from there for a year.

Nothing's ever run at the 9:30 Club, but ECW did run at Nation (a sleazy 9:30-ish venue over by where Nats Park is now, back when that was a bad part of town).  I remember Masato Tanaka ellbowing the fuck out of Mike Awesome on that show.

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Nothing's ever run at the 9:30 Club, but ECW did run at Nation (a sleazy 9:30-ish venue over by where Nats Park is now, back when that was a bad part of town).  I remember Masato Tanaka ellbowing the fuck out of Mike Awesome on that show.

I used to love that part of town...for those of you not in the know the Nationals stadium is built on top of the ancient burial ground of multiple strip clubs.  No wonder they never win anything.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:57 PM, Brysynner said:

Heel NXT House Show Trio Team (Joe/Authors of Pain)

Dress Joe like the AOP and call them Fat Shield.

2 hours ago, Marcel said:

Nothing's ever run at the 9:30 Club, but ECW did run at Nation (a sleazy 9:30-ish venue over by where Nats Park is now, back when that was a bad part of town).

I loved and miss Nation greatly.  Went to a bunch of Dj shows there back before dance music became exclusively hot garbage for bros.

Apparently Shawn Michaels is becoming a full time coach at the performance center

Also Sara Amato and Adam Pearce are being moved full time to be Producers on the main roster

By Mike Johnson on 2016-08-15 10:50:00
As we reported last night in the Elite section of PWInsider.com, WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels has joined the ranks of Coaches for the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida and will be working full-time for the company at the facility.

Michaels, who officially retired from in-ring competition in 2010, will be taking over the "finishing class" previously run by Terry Taylor.  Taylor recently underwent neck surgery, which is what required Michaels to come in as a replacement.  Taylor remains with the company.

We are told that Michaels, who has always maintained a close relationship with Vince McMahon and Triple H, will be relocating to Orlando for the position.  Considered one of the finest in-ring performers ever, Michaels owned a wrestling academy in 1998 in his native San Antonio, Texas, bringing Daniel Bryan, Brian Kendrick and the late Lance Cade into the business alongside trainer Rudy Boy Gonzales.

Michaels joining the PC is not the only change set to take place over the next few weeks as NXT/PC Coaches Sara Amato and Adam Pearce will be moving onto full-time positions as Producers for the main roster now that the brand split has taken place.  WWE has brought in a number of guest coaches of late, including Scotty Too Hotty and Stevie Richards.

• Like 2

Did someone post the McGregor-insults-John-Cena stuff from this weekend and I just missed it?  Cause this is too good not to mention

From the Wrestling Observer website:

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/conor-mcgregor-john-cena-hes-big-fat-40-year-old-failed-mr-olympia-motherfcker-218606

UFC star Conor McGregor began a war of words with the wrestling world earlier this month after calling most wrestlers "messed up p*ssies" and later tweeting that he would "slap the head off" the entire WWE roster. And he went even further in continuing his verbal attacks on the roster at a UFC press day event on Friday night.

Specifically, McGregor didn't have kind words for John Cena.

"What's the main guy? John Cena, He's 40, he's 40 years of age. He's walking around in a luminous orange t-shirt and a headband talking about how nobody can see him, we can see him right there. He's a big fat, 40-year-old failed Mr. Olympia motherf*cker." McGregor said.

The controversy initially began when McGregor was asked on the UFC 202 media conference call if we would ever see him transition from the Octagon to the squared circle for an appearance. McGregor said he hadn't thought about it and was critical of most professional wrestlers.

But McGregor said he had respect for the McMahon family, Triple H, and The Rock, and he reiterated the respect he has for Vince McMahon on Friday night, complimenting him for what he does with the "bunch of dweebs" currently on the WWE roster.

Talking about the roster, McGregor said, "That new age of those guys are absolute dweebs, they just seem messed up in the head. I don't know what it is, when I listen to them talk, when I listen to them carry themselves, they just don't seem right in the head."

Perhaps giving him his desired reaction, many in the wrestling industry reacted to McGregor's previous comments on social media. One of those who responded was industry icon Ric Flair, who tweeted that McGregor should thank him for his gimmick. Flair also dared McGregor to take on wrestlers like Brock Lesnar, Dolph Ziggler, and Fit Finlay.

McGregor responded to Flair's tweets on Friday night, saying that Flair is a legend but denying that what he does is a gimmick. And he challenged any wrestler who wants to face him.

"This ain't no gimmick, this is the real sh*t. I've got to get in and fight a man for real. With no script, with no nothing. He was talking about bringing some other wrestler guys out to challenge me, come bring it then. This is the real sh*t over here, if you want to come over we can fight no problem. A few of them are talking about the street and all. If they want to do that, come at me and see what happens." McGregor said.

I don't watch UFC so I barely know who McGregor is, but he definitely seems to be entertaining.

I like Shawn being there yet am really surprised they got him away from hunting for any length of time.  If it's just while Terry's gone then I guess that's fine as long as he's back for winter hunting.

Sara being on the MR could mean one step closer to somebody there going "Hey, you're a damn good wrestler and we need more on SD.  Whaddya say?"  At the same time, it is her job to be in that role and she does a damn good job at that.  While it'd be a dick move to put her on SD 1. They were on separate shows anyway with her in NXT and 2. She can be a super-valuable asset helping the SD women.

35 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Regardless of what happens to your hair and your physique, never let somebody tell you you're too old to play a heartthrob. 

"You see Samoa Joe, you're doing an ok job showing your displeasure with facing this opponent, but let me show you how to really throw a tantrum in the ring."

27 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

"You see Samoa Joe, you're doing an ok job showing your displeasure with facing this opponent, but let me show you how to really throw a tantrum in the ring."

*Joe stomps Mojo's head* "MOVE! MOVE!"

In all seriousness, though, Shawn's a good fit for the performance center. Very few understand the WWE style better and has a sense of showmanship that the other trainers don't, as well as just having a good all-around mind for the business. I've been watching a lot of stuff from the 2000s recently, and even as Shawn got up there in years, he was still one of the best guys in the company at getting the crowd invested in all of his matches.