DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I dunno, the look on Steph's face was pretty organic. That lady was pissed. 

Sgt. Slaughter was indeed a Marine drill instructor at Parris Island. Incidentally he got his wrestling name there because his fellow Marines thought that facially he resembled Jackie Gleason in the film Soldier in the Rain, whos character was named Sgt. Maxwell Slaughter. 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Whether it's a work or a shoot or who knew or who didn't;....  Vince Russo is still a moron and this is not to be compared to 2000 WCW

This 100x.

From WCW Monday Nitro - October 18, 1999:

Parka hits an enzuigiri, and covers Buff for the win!

Buff immediately pops back up, looking bored.

Buff gets the headset and says "Russo, did I do a good job for you? Who else do you want to beat me?"

• Like 2

Shouldn't the fans turn on Big Cass the same way they turned on Reigns?  Like Reigns when his push first started, he's

1. The lesser member of a hot act
  2. Not at the level of his push, work-wise
  3. Only getting pushed because of cosmetic reasons

I feel like right now the fans can't see this because of how hot the team is right now, but I wonder how things will be in a few months to a year when Cass is being pushed down their throats and Enzo is being minimized even more than he is now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

I don't know where that report came from but it's actually the opposite of what was in the Observer. Everyone involved knew what was going on and acted accordingly.

Yeah people "quote" the WON (or PWI or Torch) all the time and it either a gross misinterpretation or just straight up made up.

It is like all the memes that put fake quotes on a celebrity's picture and everyone is all "well clearly he said it"

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Shouldn't the fans turn on Big Cass the same way they turned on Reigns?  Like Reigns when his push first started, he's

I feel like right now the fans can't see this because of how hot the team is right now, but I wonder how things will be in a few months to a year when Cass is being pushed down their throats and Enzo is being minimized even more than he is now.

The thing is, Enzo's not good in the ring. At all. So I've got no problem pushing Cass as the legit worker and Enzo as his runty spazz buddy who talks a lot, which is pretty much what they're doing.

Cass isn't great either, but he seems to be putting it together already, and if he can lay off the taunt-spam after every move he's already fine as a US title-level threat. And he isn't being pushed as THEGUYYOUGUYSHE'STHEGUYLOOKATHIMHE'SAWESOMEEVERYONELOVETHEGUYPLEASE (yet, at least) - it just feels like, "Hey, this guy is seven feet tall, throws a mean boot, and get a big reaction - why wouldn't we throw him in some big matches, exactly?"

11 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I think people may underestimate the level of "smartness" of the WWE fan today. I don't believe there are many casual fans left and the majority of people that go to Raw are Smarks, almost where ever they are. The poster boy for this is of course Reigns, who after two years of pushing has literally gotten maybe three pure babyface reactions. The sooner the E would realize who their audience is the better off we would all be. 

This. I went to Battleground and was sitting next to two kids who were basically your typical John Cena fankids. Decked out in fruit loop gear from head to toe. They spent a good chunk of the Owens/Zayn match talking about how Owens and Zayn used to be friends in Ring of Honor and how Zayn used to wear a mask and pretend to be a luchador. Those kids couldn't have been more than 9. Not saying they were smarks or anything but just that you're right in that today's fans are way more well informed than the fans of yesteryear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

This 100x.

From WCW Monday Nitro - October 18, 1999:

Parka hits an enzuigiri, and covers Buff for the win!

Buff immediately pops back up, looking bored.

Buff gets the headset and says "Russo, did I do a good job for you? Who else do you want to beat me?"

"Steiner and Nash are improvising out there folks!"

"Scott Steiner went up for the jacknife. What a pro!"

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There are three factors I would add regarding the Reigns push which don't exist yet with Cass:

4, The existence of Daniel Bryan. Cass would need a similar foil to make him appear to be getting a push over someone more popular/deserving in the fans eyes.

5, Steamrolling of the roster.

6.  Inevitability

If Cass starts going over wrestlers people like and is positioned for the title the boos will start.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic