DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Omega said:

The Headbangers are returning to smackdown and will be in the Tag Team title tournament

On the scale of random '90s WWF workers returning to Smackdown, that will be more Road Warrior Animal than Tatanka. :(

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

What noteworthy wrestlers have taken the most time off after a supposedly career ending injury and then come out of retirement?  Shawn is the only one I can think of offhand and he was out for what, 4 years?

Didn't see anyone else mention it, but I always thought Steamboat was the right answer to this question, almost 15 years from WCW in 1994 to WWE in 2009. What is odd about Steamboat's return is he was actually doing house show matches too which is fascinating and silly in hindsight considering his health/body still wasn't great.

11 hours ago, Omega said:

The Headbangers are returning to smackdown and will be in the Tag Team title tournament

Just skimmed the name at first and parsed it as The Headhunters. Was trying to figure out when they would have been on SD, then remembered that they actually were in the company in...97, I think?

Was it for more than one appearance? How'd Cornette wind up managing them?

Snow's in TNA. He's an agent and manager, he's promoting his Wrestlig School in London by managing a couple of French lads who used to be at the WWE performance centre.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DTTW said:

Has anyone actually broken a neck screwing up a suicide dive? I've seen nasty looking stuff but I'm not aware of any serious injury. 

I'm of the mindset when you are free falling on a bump, you're safer from injury because you have control over your body. You could tuck your chin, rotate more to the right, etc. Where as piledrivers you are being moved around by a force you don't control making it more dangerous. Why isn't that true?

I still remember Edge fucking up one of Los Boricuas (I think it was Miguel Perez Jr., right?) on a tope con giro. But then, that's how you can injure another person rather than yourself on a dive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Is it too late to make a joke about the dicks returning? I didn't make up that they existed, right?

We're still a few years away from them being vintage enough. In 2024, we'll get The Dicks, The Bashams, and The Gymini.

I saw that Headbangers news, and expected to see a day later "Headbangers not coming to SD after all because they can't keep their mouths shut."

I mean, it's not exactly earth shattering, but it would've been a better surprise return if it had been a surprise.

32 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I saw that Headbangers news, and expected to see a day later "Headbangers not coming to SD after all because they can't keep their mouths shut."

I mean, it's not exactly earth shattering, but it would've been a better surprise return if it had been a surprise.

The Headbangers need to have a Spinal Tap moment and get lost on the way to the ring, or get locked in the Elimination Chamber pods, that for some reason happen to be in the arena.