DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Daniel Bryan stuff makes me incredibly sad.  You either tease a return and it doesn't happen, further depressing him because it's bugging him enough as it is.  Or he does return DESPITE all the concussions from ROH alone and more in WWE.  That and that thing the one study found in his brain that made WWE say "You're done."  The guy should be set for life and should just ride off into the sunset to make wonderful, tree-hugging babies.  I was fine with him as Smackdown GM and CWC commentator, no risk and he can have some fun with it.  But stuff like Talkin Smack and the Forbes article (Forbes?  Really?) just seem like a bad idea.  I might be a hypocrite like Beech27 if he wrestles awesome talent, but fuck this is sad.

• Like 2

It's not my place to judge. If Bryan wants to ride out his WWE contract by being the SD GM and doing stuff like Talking Smack and the CWC, and then leave when his deal is up and go to Japan or ROH or whatever - that's between him and his wife. I'll support the guy in whatever he wants to do with his life.

The segment with Miz on Talking Smack kind of seemed mean spirited and something that someone backstage came up with to make Bryan mad and push his buttons. It doesn't make me want to cheer Miz (and I know it does for some of you, especially the anti-Bryan posters on here), it makes me want to see someone potato Miz.

Just now, Casey said:

It's not my place to judge. If Bryan wants to ride out his WWE contract by being the SD GM and doing stuff like Talking Smack and the CWC, and then leave when his deal is up and go to Japan or ROH or whatever - that's between him and his wife. I'll support the guy in whatever he wants to do with his life.

The segment with Miz on Talking Smack kind of seemed mean spirited and something that someone backstage came up with to make Bryan mad and push his buttons. It doesn't make me want to cheer Miz (and I know it does for some of you, especially the anti-Bryan posters on here), it makes me want to see someone potato Miz.

Isn't that the whole point of being a heel?

If that was the intention, to get more heat on Miz, then it worked. But it doesn't seem like that was the point of the promo, it seemed like it was to piss of Bryan, legitimately, and to fuck with him. Hey, maybe I'm being worked, but either way I didn't like that segment.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NickMD said:

The Daniel Bryan stuff makes me incredibly sad.  You either tease a return and it doesn't happen, further depressing him because it's bugging him enough as it is.  Or he does return DESPITE all the concussions from ROH alone and more in WWE.  That and that thing the one study found in his brain that made WWE say "You're done." 

The way Meltzer explained it, Bryan had several tests that cleared him and then one that didn't, and WWE told him they needed him to retire as soon as he failed that one.  He  said that the normal protocol for the test Bryan failed would be to undergo more testing and then figure out where things stand, making it sound pretty much like WWE was overly cautious and jumped the gun.

Speaking of injuries, it's hilarious to me that Balor said on Jericho's podcast that the first thing Terry Taylor told him in NXT was that he'll learn a style that will lengthen his career.  Days after I heard that show, Balor is on the shelf.  There's a difference between learning a safe style and actually practicing it, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The way Meltzer explained it, Bryan had several tests that cleared him and then one that didn't, and WWE told him they needed him to retire as soon as he failed that one.  He  said that the normal protocol for the test Bryan failed would be to undergo more testing and then figure out where things stand, making it sound pretty much like WWE was overly cautious and jumped the gun.

Speaking of injuries, it's hilarious to me that Balor said on Jericho's podcast that the first thing Terry Taylor told him in NXT was that he'll learn a style that will lengthen his career.  Days after I heard that show, Balor is on the shelf.  There's a difference between learning a safe style and actually practicing it, I guess.

With Bryan they had the concussion lawsuits that they were and still are dealing with.  Overly cautious, maybe.  They could and maybe should have tested the one failed result, but that still doesn't discount all the past injuries he had.  I think it was best for him to retire anyway, guy's been doing this for well over a decade.  Now if the door's slightly ajar for him to return, assuming Daniel does would that be wise for WWE to allow that?  There's the lawsuits but also a potential PR nightmare should Daniel get a concussion again.

With Balor that wasn't his fault.  He was getting thrown semi-blindly into a barricade by Seth and had to find the a way to catch himself so his head didn't hit.  I wouldn't put that on him.

17 minutes ago, NickMD said:

With Balor that wasn't his fault.  He was getting thrown semi-blindly into a barricade by Seth and had to find the a way to catch himself so his head didn't hit.  I wouldn't put that on him.

I see your point but I'd put it on him for agreeing to it. 

How stupid is it to agree to a spot where 1) you're not in control of the bump 2) you're bumping on a hard, vertical surface that is decidedly not a wrestling ring i.e. the surface you're taught to bump on and 3) you have to trust your opponent to gauge the exact distance?  These guys are trained to fall flat on a huge surface, not make an exact landing on a small area.  It's a dumb bump to take.

29 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

What noteworthy wrestlers have taken the most time off after a supposedly career ending injury and then come out of retirement?  Shawn is the only one I can think of offhand and he was out for what, 4 years?

Finlay?

I think the main problem with Seth's power bomb on Finn is that they've made the outside of the ring look too safe. Guys try way more stuff with the very thick layers of padding on the floor and the padded barricades with give in them. Pretty much every WWE match has at least one bump to the floor or dive in it.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

A large part of the problem with the current WWE style is their ludicrous notion of what constitutes "safe". The piledriver, a move that's been a staple of wrestling for decades and can be performed safely by any two well-trained wrestlers, is banned (with occasional exceptions) because Owen Hart decided to be a bitch about Austin being uncomfortable taking his K-Driller 19 years ago. But multiple guys have out-of-ring dives as part of their regular moveset, which going by the current WWE notion that "your moveset is your brand so get all your shit in every match" means they have to do suicide dives and tope con hilos in meaningless TV matches. I mean, anyone who thinks Big E is safer doing that suicide apron spear on a regular basis than he is taking a piledriver once in a while is out of their fucking mind...

• Like 6