DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm still sad the laptop GM wasn't outed as a rogue AI that escaped from a Russian think tank and decided to work for the WWE because it had read all there is to read about capitalism and decided Vince McMahon was the greatest capitalist on the face of the earth.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

A TV title would be an easy way to get a midcard guy over without doing much but having him hold onto it for a long time, and RAW needs stuff to fill three hours, so it seems like that would be a great idea for that show in particular.

I think they made a mistake by having two women's championships. They should have put the women on one show and the cruisers on another, then split the heavyweight and tag championships. There is no depth in the division, and letting someone like, say, Alexa Bliss or Carmella be champ of a major show would have been okay in 2002, but the fans wouldn't buy it in 2016. 

Since things are so lopsided toward RAW for the women, though, they should call up Asuka and put her on Smackdown ASAP if they want to give both divisions enough depth to carry two titles. 

Please - no more titles.

I've seen many suggest that the women's division should have been kept confined to one show, but from a PR perspective it seems like a bad idea to have one show be "The Men's Show" - sending that type of message could get them some negative publicity. The split also opens up opportunities for women who would otherwise have been passed over - before last week's RAW glorified squash match against Charlotte, Alicia Fox hadn't worked either of the big two shows since before WrestleMania.

I think all the talk of how lopsided the women's rosters are must be coming from people that just love Sasha (and now Bayley) a lot:

RAW has 6 active female wrestlers (Charlotte, Bayley, Nia, Dana, Alicia, Summer), 1 female manager (Lana) and 2 inactive female wrestlers (Sasha, Paige). It probably makes the most sense for Emma to show up here when she's healthy.

SDL has 6 active female wrestlers (Nikki, Becky, Nattie, Naomi, Alexa, Carmella), 1 female manager (Maryse) and 1 inactive female wrestler (Eva). It probably makes the most sense for Tamina to show up here when she's healthy.

Where's the imbalance? If anything SDL's roster comes off as more stacked because they're actually using all of them on the main show.

Plus, the Raw roster was stacked the way it was to give Sasha a bunch of heels to work with (and now Bayley can do that instead if they put the belt on her).  Everyone else but I think maybe Alicia Fox is a heel.  Better split on Smackdown on top of the stuff you mentioned.

Babyface champ running through a shitload of heel challengers is what Vince likes, though.

6 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

What did Bret say?

You can probably guess, but it's here

I take no great pleasure in saying “I told you so,” but if you’re a professional wrestler and you keep hurting opponents and or yourself, clearly you’re doing it wrong. I wrestled a very realistic and physical style and not once in 23 yrs did I ever hurt one opponent ever. Seth Rollins needs to improve his technique and become the safest wrestler in the business. I have great respect for Seth. I believe he’ll improve and hopefully stop hurting the talent before someone gets killed. Wrestlers have to trust one another. If a wrestler holds the life of another wrestler in his hands for the sake of his family, wife or children you plain and simply cannot drop it!

36 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Damn, going in on Rollins AND a drive-by shot at Samoa Joe. Bret is out for smark blood.

Wait, wasn't it put out there that Kidd's injury came about from the way that Kidd attempted to take the muscle buster?  If that's indeed true, why swipe at Joe for that?  How many other people since Joe's used the muscle buster have been injured by it?

Lance Storm makes the same claim about not hurting anyone ever.

That said, if you can make that claim it's a damn good thing to say about your skill and career, and I respect the hell out of both of them for how they didn't hurt people.

That's one thing Miz can't say- I know he's injured at least two folks with not catching them on dives.

It looked like Seth was trying out more knee strike based offense in the match with Sami on Raw. I know the Cena thing happened, but overall, I think that's a better direction for his character in the ring. He should be hitting stuff that looks sneaky and effective. There's no reason for a weasel like Rollins to be doing a powerbomb of any kind. It's very likely that all of the injuries surrounding Seth's powerbomb were freak accidents, but if the move is that difficult to pull off, it's time to retire it.

I still can't get over that one move of his they explicitly banned was the one that never injured anyone (and also his best looking one).

7 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

So newzy people have been buzzing that something horrible is going to come to light this week that will be a "major black eye on the sport"

This should be fun.

Meant to comment on this too, but I couldn't edit the quote into my last post.

Have any of these "buzzes" ever amounted to anything? The only black eye on pro wrestling this century came pretty much out of the blue (Benoit).