DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Haha....i love when people call Bret Hart (one of the greatest to ever lace the boots and a guy who grew up in the business) a mark or bitter.....then he turns out to be 100% correct.  

Surly Bret is usually right about pretty much everything. He just says it in a way where people hope he's wrong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

It's gonna be Shane like when he outwrestled an Olympic gold medal winner

Lesnar vs Shane is supposedly being considered.  Damn, Stephanie really doesn't want to split Vince's kingdom in half with her brother.  She's going to allow her nephews to become orphans to make sure it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Is there anyone, anywhere in the world that has nuclear heat? I'm referring to The Rock or Austin level pop.. Or has the interpretation of nuclear heat changed with the evolution if the fans now preferring sing alongs? 

I feel like Bryan and Punk were the last two acts to get that nuclear pop. Perhaps Nakamura?

I think Bryan turning on Bray Wyatt in the cage is probably the loudest pop in the last four or five years. It was up there in all-time loud arena reactions with anything from the '80s or the Attitude Era. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Is there anyone, anywhere in the world that has nuclear heat? I'm referring to The Rock or Austin level pop.. Or has the interpretation of nuclear heat changed with the evolution if the fans now preferring sing alongs? 

I feel like Bryan and Punk were the last two acts to get that nuclear pop. Perhaps Nakamura?

Atlantis

I'm guessing Tag and Womens. So both brands will have four titles, but when the Cruiserweight Division shows up on Raw and they get a fifth title will SmackDown follow suit and if they do what title would they even introduce? Television? Womens Tag?

13 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I'm guessing Tag and Womens. So both brands will have four titles, but when the Cruiserweight Division shows up on Raw and they get a fifth title will SmackDown follow suit and if they do what title would they even introduce? Television? Womens Tag?

Considering Raw has an extra hour, a little imbalance probably won't hurt.

A TV title would be an easy way to get a midcard guy over without doing much but having him hold onto it for a long time, and RAW needs stuff to fill three hours, so it seems like that would be a great idea for that show in particular.

I think they made a mistake by having two women's championships. They should have put the women on one show and the cruisers on another, then split the heavyweight and tag championships. There is no depth in the division, and letting someone like, say, Alexa Bliss or Carmella be champ of a major show would have been okay in 2002, but the fans wouldn't buy it in 2016. 

I'm bummed that Nia Jax is on RAW instead of on Smackdown feuding with Becky Lynch and/or Nikki Bella over their women's title. She's the only one of the women who was recently called up (other than Emma, who had been called up before) who is actually improved enough to be a reasonable addition to the roster. 

Since things are so lopsided toward RAW for the women, though, they should call up Asuka and put her on Smackdown ASAP if they want to give both divisions enough depth to carry two titles. 

• Like 3

Aren't they all TV titles at this point? The days of "You want to see the World Champion? Buy a ticket" came to an end long, long ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

A TV title would be an easy way to get a midcard guy over without doing much but having him hold onto it for a long time, and RAW needs stuff to fill three hours, so it seems like that would be a great idea for that show in particular.

I think they made a mistake by having two women's championships. They should have put the women on one show and the cruisers on another, then split the heavyweight and tag championships. There is no depth in the division, and letting someone like, say, Alexa Bliss or Carmella be champ of a major show would have been okay in 2002, but the fans wouldn't buy it in 2016. 

I'm bummed that Nia Jax is on RAW instead of on Smackdown feuding with Becky Lynch and/or Nikki Bella over their women's title. She's the only one of the women who was recently called up (other than Emma, who had been called up before) who is actually improved enough to be a reasonable addition to the roster. 

Since things are so lopsided toward RAW for the women, though, they should call up Asuka and put her on Smackdown ASAP if they want to give both divisions enough depth to carry two titles. 

I agree with this 100%. It would help differentiate the shows. If you like the women's division, you now have a reason to tune into Raw if it's the home of all the women. If you like cruiserweights, you now have a reason to watch Smackdown if they can only be seen there. I actually would have taken it a step further and made the Tag titles exclusive to Raw-- Smackdown can still have your thrown together "tag team match, playa" matches with four random guys, but legitimate full-time teams could be confined to Raw. This way, they can be put in singles matches to help stretch to 3 hours in the event of injuries.