DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've never understood why big companies (NFL, NHL, WWE have all done this) don't approach the GIFers and basically offer them a job doing it for WWE.  I mean, I'd think people following WWE on Twitter would see some of these GIFs and go "Wow, I need to see that match" not "Oh, now that I've seen that, I don't need to see the match!"  I mean, in the past half hour, I swear the WWE Twitter account has sent out 4-5 tweets about the Colonel Ziggler "match", wouldn't throwing in some GIFs of the big matches of the night, stir up interest in watching the show on the Network and turning into Raw tonight?  Then again, this is the company who still thinks people aren't going to watch/order a replay if they show anything but still images for 2-3 weeks after the event.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, caley said:

I've never understood why big companies (NFL, NHL, WWE have all done this) don't approach the GIFers and basically offer them a job doing it for WWE.  I mean, I'd think people following WWE on Twitter would see some of these GIFs and go "Wow, I need to see that match" not "Oh, now that I've seen that, I don't need to see the match!"  I mean, in the past half hour, I swear the WWE Twitter account has sent out 4-5 tweets about the Colonel Ziggler "match", wouldn't throwing in some GIFs of the big matches of the night, stir up interest in watching the show on the Network and turning into Raw tonight?  Then again, this is the company who still thinks people aren't going to watch/order a replay if they show anything but still images for 2-3 weeks after the event.

I agree with this. If you heard that corporate speech that Stephanie gave a few weeks ago that had some marks losing their minds, (to me) she said as much. She basically said that they don't care what platform people use (I think she said they were "platform agnostic). as long as it gets them to sign up for the WWE network. So seeing cool shit from an event seems like it would accomplish that. I know they want people to use their channels but really, how much are they making from youtube hits?

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I didn't have AXS TV/Fight Network so I never watched the New Japan stuff with Mauro and Josh Barnett.  Has Mauro always been this excessive with his similes?   When he is serious about what is going on in the ring he one of the best but man he just can't help himself at times. I mean do we really need to compare something to Ryan Lotche for example in the heat of a match.    I mean I guess it is better than JBL who does the same thing referencing soccer, rugby, and cricket stars that maybe 3% of the US population know.   

Yes, it's like JR and his football references and little phrases. It's annoying but I can deal with it to get his emotion and passion for the matches.

I like Mauro's references as he mixes in current events as well as history that if you get it is pretty cool.  I wouldn't mind if he toned down on them though because he does get excessive on them at times.  But to me he is a huge upgrade from Cole when he was announcing on SD.

3 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I agree with this. If you heard that corporate speech that Stephanie gave a few weeks ago that had some marks losing their minds, (to me) she said as much. She basically said that they don't care what platform people use (I think she said they were "platform agnostic). as long as it gets them to sign up for the WWE network. So seeing cool shit from an event seems like it would accomplish that. I know they want people to use their channels but really, how much are they making from youtube hits?

I think WWE was/is a top 10 user of youtube so its undoubtedly near the top amount, but i suspect the amount for it is under 2 million a month. I think some other big YouTuber talked about a 1.5 mill in a month being their biggest payday, but who knows if all that was YouTube ad money.

21 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I think their logic on everything from yesterday though is that the GIFs were being posted in real time during the event. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing would have went down if DTAM and Lariato had waited until today to post their GIFs. 

But that said, does Ricochet vs Will Ospreay get the attention it ended up getting without the GIF of that opening sequence being spread around Twitter?

For the bigger YouTube stars it's not just ad revenue but also sponsored videos and the like that are a source of income. The YouTube gold rush ended a few years ago so a lot of people have had to add revenue streams like merch and sponsorships to stay afloat. But I wouldn't be surprised if WWE was getting more than $2mil, That $1.5m figure is for an individual who belongs to a larger multichannel network pay structure that takes a large cut of their profits. WWE aren't a multichannel network like FineBros or ScreenWave who has to pay their talent, they get to keep all that revenue for themselves. For WWE it's basically free money since it costs very little to put content they have already created for other platforms and put it on YouTube. It's basically a channel built as an advertisement for the network that also generates a revenue stream for them.

1 hour ago, caley said:

The large companies have tons of fake social media accounts all over the place.  Twitter, YouTube, and even here.  Yup, there are WWE fake accounts here.

More than half of Facebook is bot accounts and chances are most of your Twitter followers are fake accounts as well.  Go over to any Google platform and the number just explodes.

They are easy to spot.  Overwhelmingly positive for the product and heavily anti-competitors.

Go to any sports site and you can spot the paid content intermixed with real articles to go along with the ads.  This is why I use adblocker.

You can easily spot the paid content.  Low quality, under 500 words, no substance, opinionated, and a lack of real information.

We, as a society, have become obsessed with the narrative to the point the narrative is more important than the truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

The large companies have tons of fake social media accounts all over the place.  Twitter, YouTube, and even here.  Yup, there are WWE fake accounts here.

More than half of Facebook is bot accounts and chances are most of your Twitter followers are fake accounts as well.  Go over to any Google platform and the number just explodes.

They are easy to spot.  Overwhelmingly positive for the product and heavily anti-competitors.

Go to any sports site and you can spot the paid content intermixed with real articles to go along with the ads.  This is why I use adblocker.

You can easily spot the paid content.  Low quality, under 500 words, no substance, opinionated, and a lack of real information.

We, as a society, have become obsessed with the narrative to the point the narrative is more important than the truth.

We also are super obsessed with hyperbole in today's culture. Everything has to be the "greatest" or the "worst." Things can't just be fine or what they are. It's why click-bait crap succeeds and long-form writing or articulate criticism fails in today's society. We don't want the educated, logical part of our brains to be stimulated and will always opt for something that stimulates our emotive side.

• Like 4

Just now, Chaos said:

We also are super obsessed with hyperbole in today's culture. Everything has to be the "greatest" or the "worst." Things can't just be fine or what they are. It's why click-bait crap succeeds and long-form writing or articulate criticism fails in today's society. We don't want the educated, logical part of our brains to be stimulated and will always opt for something that stimulates our emotive side.

I have reached the point where all I read are headlines and article titles because I know the article content will be so low the headline carries 90% of the information.

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

Wow, someone sounds paranoid.  Maybe you need the cool, refreshing taste of a Mountain Dew Kickstarter to take the edge off.  

As for me I'm going to watch the latest episode of Holy Foley, available on demand now on the award winning WWE Network.  I can access the show using my computer, tablet, smart phone, or through a variety of streaming devices. 

Well goodbye for now fellow members of the DVDVRMB Universe.

• Like 13

Just now, offspring515 said:

Wow, someone sounds paranoid.  Maybe you need the cool, refreshing taste of a Mountain Dew Kickstarter to take the edge off.  

As for me I'm going to watch the latest episode of Holy Foley, available on demand now on the award winning WWE Network.  I can access the show using my computer, tablet, smart phone, or through a variety of streaming devices. 

No, not paranoid in the least.  I used to write fluff articles for companies in the mining industry.  I can pick out computer generated and human generated content with ease.  A lot of the sites you visit these days are full of computer generated content to the point where actual news reporting has become a lost skill.

A perfect example is clicking on a news bit in Facebook's news feed only to find multiple people sharing the same article with the same opinionated tagline.  They are not real people, they are bots. 

The last great article I read was about how in news these days the narrative is more important than the truth.  

http://qz.com/723537/in-the-post-factual-democracy-politicians-win-by-getting-feelings-right-and-facts-wrong/

I am not cynical.  It is the world we live in. 

I would love to know who you think, on this board, is a paid WWE shill. Reddit, sure, I can see that. But this is a niche wrestling board, we aren't as important or big as a place like Reddit. I've definitely ran into some "Correct the Record" bots/paid shills on Reddit for the Clinton campaign, so I know this isn't you being paranoid, but I don't think anyone on here is being paid by WWE or given free stuff to promote their content.

1 minute ago, evilwaldo said:

No, not paranoid in the least.  I used to write fluff articles for companies in the mining industry.  I can pick out computer generated and human generated content with ease.  A lot of the sites you visit these days are full of computer generated content to the point where actual news reporting has become a lost skill.

A perfect example is clicking on a news bit in Facebook's news feed only to find multiple people sharing the same article with the same opinionated tagline.  They are not real people, they are bots. 

The last great article I read was about how in news these days the narrative is more important than the truth.  

http://qz.com/723537/in-the-post-factual-democracy-politicians-win-by-getting-feelings-right-and-facts-wrong/

I am not cynical.  It is the world we live in. 

Hahaha no hard feelings fellow entertainment fan.  I understand and accept your point of view.

Sometimes I get stressed out thinking about that topic.  So I just chill out and listen to the new single "Dangerous" by Alternate Waves.  Available now on iTunes.

Will that topic ever be resolved? Who knows.  Maybe it will get better or maybe, as Jolly Rancher says, it will "Keep On Sucking".

Either way I'll just check out the fun, innovative and exciting programming on WWE Network including Swerved, Table For Three and The Stone Cold Podcast (Oh Heck Yeah!).

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

How much is this WWE Network?

• Like 5