DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To the people questioning WWE's handling of LGBT stuff, I'm guessing that it's more likely this leads to a new Be a Star-esque campaign.

Oh please, it'll be tout-tacular, or worse.

No good can come of this given the mountain of anti-gay footage that exist in pro wrestling. Hell the reason WWE exist today is because someone figured out macho men will pay money to scream at effeminate acting men.

If you don't think current day WWE wouldn't jump at the chance to start an LGBT campaign using storylines and characters as the jump-off point... well, you're probably just wrong. Not saying they'll treat it with decency or respect, but they'll do it and shortly thereafter you'll have something similar to the Be A STAR thing. That whole thing came about when various forms of bullying and harassment was a hot button issue, now people have moved on to LGBT issues. 

30 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

GLAAD just tweeted out a news article about WWE'S pledge. 

I am assuming no one showed them Ezno and Cass this week cracking wise about Jericho and Owens "watching each other's backs".

Ah!  Thank you.  I was wracking my brain trying to remember the most recent homophobic thing someone said on WWE TV.

I guess we haven't come that far from Scott Steiner grabbing the mic and calling Rougeau and Ouellet "Queerbeckers" at a house show 20 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Wow.  I never thought I would see ESPN go all in on wrestling.

I can't wait until they start a wrestling show where they have multiple people scream at each other for 30 minutes. "ROMAN REIGNS NEEDS TO TURN HEEL!! ROMAN REIGNS NEEDS TO TURN HEEL!! ROMAN REIGNS NEEDS TO TURN HEEL!!  It will be like the visual adaptation of F4W board.

And by "can't wait" I mean I can't wait to not watch it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Boydy said:

They should have Bray Wyatt as the Charles Manson character in Aquarius where he is bisexual and uses his seduction powers to get what he wants.

What happens in the Wyatt family stays in the Wyatt family? 

Either way Randy Orton is still not sure who is the pitchers or the catchers in the bunch.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

Being gay can get you killed in certain parts of the world. Wonder how the global brand is going to deal with that.

This is a good point - remember that Darren Young boycotted the Saudi Arabian tour because of their anti-gay laws. I wonder if anyone is going to call WWE out for (presumably) continuing to tour those types of countries.

Coincidentally, I re-watched Unforgiven 2002 on the network yesterday. Fairly good show, all things considered. Jericho/Flair, Edge/Eddie, and Benoit/Angle are all good matches if you're interested...

... BUT, where I was going with that thought was the angle surrounding Stephanie McMahon and Eric Bischoff. This was coming off the heels of the Billy/Chuck "wedding." There was a match between Billy/Chuck and 3MW where the stipulations were if Billy and Chuck won, Bischoff had to kiss Steph's ass, and if 3MW won, Steph had to perform HLA. Of course, 3MW won, and the resulting segments and commentary was truly as embarrassing as any WWE has ever done. It ended with Eric bringing out the "fattest, ugliest lesbo [he] could find" which was Rikishi in drag who turned on him and gave him the stinkface much to Steph's delight. It was insane to me that a national company could perform something like this with some absolutely astonishing (in a bad way) lines from Lawler and Bischoff and not get raked over the coals as recently as 14 years ago. Of course that's when every state was scrambling to put marriage laws on ballots during national elections, so maybe not.

I guess if someone wanted to troll WWE, they could tweet that video to WWE, Steph, and GLAAD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

What do you think would actually happen if they still, defiantly booked them? 

Honestly, I don't know why they adhere to that "rule" when they do mid-east shows. What're they gonna do, stone the corporate jet?

They would use the military to hold all WWE personnel hostage, have them arrested for crimes against Islam, give physical punishment to the men involved with the booking and attempt to execute the women. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boydy said:

They should have Bray Wyatt as the Charles Manson character in Aquarius where he is bisexual and uses his seduction powers to get what he wants.

So, Bear Wyatt?

ETA: Why does this sound familiar?