DVDVR Message Board

[TV] August Television Discussion

PetrolCB

On 8/8/2016 at 2:51 PM, Pete said:

So I discovered the greatness that is BUZZR last night. It's like the VH1 Classic to Game Show Network's MTV... nothing but old school game shows dating back to the 50s. Caught some of the original "Double Dare" from 1976... actually a pretty fun show, hosted by a comically young Alex Trebek (this was his only CBS game show), looking EXACTLY like my previous boss.

I moved back in May and this was part of the OTA HDTV I discovered at the new crib. They burn through the episodes pretty quick, though. Love seeing "Press Your Luck"  and "Card Sharks". 

10 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Finished up Last Chance U, that head coach is hot garbage in every sense of the word, and that academic adviser is probably the only person who actually gives a crap about those guys. I would definitely be into a second season for sure.

I've been doing a rewatch and the coach is worse upon further review.  The conversation he had with the scout when Ollie was hurt was completely out of line.  He could have sent him to an outside doctor, but didn't.  Ollie was clearly lying about not having a headache so he could get back on the field.  He couldn't even open his eyes when he was talking to the doctor.  He then turned around and asked whether or not he was doing enough to help these kids better their lives.  No bitch, talking bad about your injured players to recruiters is not helping these kids better their lives.

• Like 1

So, I watched You're the Worst season 1 and really liked it. Now I'm watching season 2 and I'm FLOORED. This series went from a pretty funny look at relationships to a serious drama about...well, I don't want to spoil it.

I'm 9 episodes into season 2. This feels like groundbreaking stuff.

1 hour ago, Jerome Miller said:
  1. http://deadline.com/2016/08/thomas-gibson-exit-criminal-minds-after-on-set-altercation-1201802257/

Thomas Gibson fired from "Criminal Minds" after getting into an argument and kicking one of his producers.

Odd.  I don't watch the show, so I don't care one way or the other. but yesterday they were just suspending Gibson for two episodes and not letting him continue directing episodes.  Wonder if the situation escalated, or somebody just saw a reason to trim a big salary from an aging, expensive-to-produce show.  Gibson has a reputation for being hot-headed and difficult.  Maybe it was just the last straw.

8 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:
  1. http://deadline.com/2016/08/thomas-gibson-exit-criminal-minds-after-on-set-altercation-1201802257/

Thomas Gibson fired from "Criminal Minds" after getting into an argument and kicking one of his producers.

I'm going to go ahead and theorize that Emily Prentiss, since the character is returning full-time, will be the new head of the BAU. Which is fine with me, since I love Paget Brewster, but I don't know how much longer this show has left.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:15 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Odd.  I don't watch the show, so I don't care one way or the other. but yesterday they were just suspending Gibson for two episodes and not letting him continue directing episodes.  Wonder if the situation escalated, or somebody just saw a reason to trim a big salary from an aging, expensive-to-produce show.  Gibson has a reputation for being hot-headed and difficult.  Maybe it was just the last straw.

Apparently he kicked a writer, not a producer. The writer was cool with the suspension but the rest of the writing staff was not and pressed the issue. 

22 hours ago, J.H. said:

The Get Down is cheezy, yet so much fun and earnest... yeah I can dig on this

James

It really is cheezy as all hell, but it also nails the energy of being young and black while trying to figure out life in a terrible neighborhood. 

• Like 1

Watching it now and I'm digging it quite a bit. Up to the fight scene in the alley right now ("If you fuck up my pants, Imma kill you twice."). Agreed, great great energy. Don't know if its gonna be deep viewing, but I like that its serious without taking itself seriously at all.

I'm hoping Season 1 Part 2 gives a really out there interpretation of Bambataa... I mean like more out there than Bambbaataa usually is. Loved Cool Herc layign down the law on why and what his parties were all about. Also liekd how, even when buss up his party, he's still hospitable as hell!

James