DVDVR Message Board

[TV] August Television Discussion

PetrolCB

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to question your parenting Matt but damn... 14? I had watched half the horror titles in all four video stores in town by the time I was his age. 

I sat through all of Alien in a dark movie theater when I was eleven and didn't freak out.   My mom was very proud.

Hell, back in the day the horror stuff on television was nearly as scary as the stuff in the movies.  

My mom got a tablet for the sole purpose of watching re-runs of Kolchak:  The Night Stalker on YouTube while my father gorges on MSNBC and I got her the entire runs of Ray Bradbury Theater on BluRay for her birthday.

I think her heart exploded when I told her that someone uploaded episodes of The Darkroom with James Coburn to the YouTubes.

Yeah, the pilot episode Closed Circuit is probably more relevant today than it was back then.

The twist in The Boogeyman Will Get You scared the shit out of me as a kid.  Probably because the episode was based on a short story by Robert Bloch.

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn that's a great intro. I've never even heard of The Darkroom before. But then, my era was Friday the 13th The Series, Tales from the Crypt, and Monsters. 

The entire run is on YouTube on the CampNightmare channel.

TMK, there has been no DVD compilation.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2016 at 5:00 PM, (BP) said:

I'm going to have to check out the IT Crowd because I've been rewatching Darkplace and Richard Ayoade is brilliant. 

IT Crowd is a riot. 

• Like 3

I was watching some of season 1 of 24 and, man, the look Nina gives to the CTU surveillance camera after she kills that woman in the final episode is one of the most terrifying TV moments ever. 

nina_24.JPG

Dear God. Not only has the mask has slipped, she doesn't care it's slipped. She looks borderline demonic here. (Bear in mind we spent most of season 1 thinking she was just a nice, pretty, if slightly lovelorn and frustrated, woman.)  

Kinda feel the show wasted her in later seasons, frankly.  She was a truly terrific villain. 

• Like 1

I never watched Ash vs the Evil Dead when it first aired, because I thought it would be sitting on my cable's On Demand indefinitely. But then it vanished for months. But now it's back, so I watched the first episode and really liked it.

How big was "Today's Special" in Canada?

I know in America it was limited only to us kids who had cable, and i was apparently one of the few kids in my elementary school who actually had cable at the time, so  when Nickelodeon showed the live stage show episode I was blown away by the sold out audience.

10 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

How big was "Today's Special" in Canada?

I know in America it was limited only to us kids who had cable, and i was apparently one of the few kids in my elementary school who actually had cable at the time, so I was just blown away when Nickelodeon showed the live stage show episode and was blown away by the sold out audience.

It was PBS for a while, because I remember watching it in SLC, and we didn't have cable.

So I discovered the greatness that is BUZZR last night. It's like the VH1 Classic to Game Show Network's MTV... nothing but old school game shows dating back to the 50s. Caught some of the original "Double Dare" from 1976... actually a pretty fun show, hosted by a comically young Alex Trebek (this was his only CBS game show), looking EXACTLY like my previous boss.