DVDVR Message Board

[TV] August Television Discussion

PetrolCB

Aw man, I took a nap and missed all but the last song of the Cure Unplugged, which was "The Walk" done truly unplugged -- as in they used bongos, xylophone, and freakin' kazoos to simulate the synthetic sounds of the song. Unlike Old Man Dylan who was using Hammond organ and shit, that was truly unplugged, minus the mics. 

2 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So did anyone see Sharknado 4?  I didn't even realize it was on yesterday.

Sadly, yes.  It was, well, take all the fun out of the first 3 and make a movie that's pretty much all cameos and so many Star Wars (and some other movies) quotes that its a wonder the movie will make any money with how much they had to shell out to NOT get sued by Disney.  It was bad.  And not in a good way.

Speaking of the beloved Randee of the Redwoods, in the wake of a US presidential election this comical, I can't believe this was the first thing aired on MTV Classic:

• Like 2

Has anyone watched Last Chance U on Netflix?  I've watched 5 out of the 6 episodes and I'm dying to get home so I can finish it up.  It is about the East Mississippi Community College football team, which is an elite junior college football program.  It is basically a team full of Division I football talent that didn't have good enough grades to attend a Division I school.  It shows how and why these kids fell through the cracks, but also shows that these kids have all the potential in the world.  It is one of those things where you see kids who believe in themselves at 1000% when playing football, but 0% everywhere else.  I honestly don't know if I'll feel uplifted or heartbroken at the end, but it is definitely going to be one of the two. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Has anyone watched Last Chance U on Netflix?  I've watched 5 out of the 6 episodes and I'm dying to get home so I can finish it up.  It is about the East Mississippi Community College football team, which is an elite junior college football program.  It is basically a team full of Division I football talent that didn't have good enough grades to attend a Division I school.  It shows how and why these kids fell through the cracks, but also shows that these kids have all the potential in the world.  It is one of those things where you see kids who believe in themselves at 1000% when playing football, but 0% everywhere else.  I honestly don't know if I'll feel uplifted or heartbroken at the end, but it is definitely going to be one of the two. 

I feel very much compelled to watch since that's a bit close to my neck of the woods, and I happen to know a bunch of people like that. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

Some of these cooking shows on the PBS Create digital sub-channel are a joke.

"Taste the Islands with Chef Irie" is so low budget that it's literally filmed with just one camera inside 'Chef Irie's' Miami condo in his own kitchen as he cooks and speaks with an exaggerated Jamaican accent, but even that isn't enough to fill 22-minutes so they insert Chef Irie talking on Skype to his girlfriend as she drives from her house to his condo to sample this week's recipe.  

21 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I have fond memories of watching Today's Special on PBS when I was young. I remember being pissed when it replaced the Polka Dot Door. I was probably five at the time. . . 

Aaand someone today reminds me that Today's Special had flashes of genuine brilliance and honesty albeit it delivered with a sledgehammer.

Hey, kids!  LET'S LEARN ABOUT ALCOHOLISM~! I suppose it's never to early to warn 'em.

I will post in the Surprise Casting thread that the actor that plays Phil the Drunk (Gerald Parkes) also plays Doc, the bartender with Tourette's from The Boondock Saints.

• Like 1

I'm just really upset about the slow jam that is playing at the beginning of that clip like store lady is going to tell us that all the stress from alcoholism means she needs to unwind with a special visitor and she'll need us to come back in a couple of hours or so. By the way, kids, this is Chett.  He's the special visitor but you probly won't be seeing him again because some friends are just friends for the one time when you need a friend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Speaking of Adult Swim, was Hogan's hate mongering pillow talk what killed China, IL or was Brad Neely already planning on doing that Hawg Narlin shittyness instead?

killing China, IL might be the worst thing Hogan has ever done. Bastard.

• Like 2

We're five episodes into Stranger Things. The best part is that we're watching it late at night with the 14 year old. He's seem certain things (Ferris Bueller, in part because he's named from it, Goonies, the Back to the Future Trilogy, ET), but this is sort of his first TV-14 thing he's seen along these lines, certainly the scariest (a couple of episodes of Doctor Who are closest up until now). So he was darting out of the room and watching from his doorway for parts of the last episode and yelling at the characters on the screen a lot. Plus, I get to randomly follow him without him knowing and scare the crap out of him, so it's an overall enjoyable bonding experience.

21 hours ago, supremebve said:

I watched the finale last night, and I want there to be more.  The finale was about as poignant of a case of race, class, and privlege that you'll ever see in a television show.  The majority of the players on the team have no other options, but football.  If they don't make it to the next level and get a scholarship to a Division I school, they don't have any plan Bs.  There is an event that starts in episode 5 and ends in episode 6 that shows how disposable we treat the people in the margins in this country.  It is one of those situations where a group has to make a split second decision that could literally ruin their lives, but they wouldn't be able to live with themselves if they didn't make it.    

Spoiler

After the incident the head coach behaves in a way that I just can't respect.  The team was put in an impossible situation, and even though they had everything to lose they were willing to lose it all for each other.  Afterwards their head coach, who spent the entire series being a loose cannon, called his team a bunch of rednecks and thugs.  His team is filled with players who have spent their entire lives being told that they are worthless.  There is a scene in this show where the academic advisor is talking to one of the star players on the team about how he is a bright kid who has the ability to be a good student.  He just has no confidence when it comes to school.  Afterwards, he is doing an interview talking about how he doesn't know if anyone at the school really cares about him as a person (she does by the way, she cares A LOT).  These kids don't need their football coach reinforcing their belief that they are worthless, and that is exactly what he did.  To the credit of everyone else on the coaching staff, they all took up for the players.  It would be irresponsible to say that the team was 100% in the right, but sometimes in life doing the wrong thing is the right decision.  It can be argued that the head coach brought this entire situation to a head, by calling two timeouts while up 40+ points in the last minute of the first half.  Their quarterback had already scored 6 rushing touchdowns(he's the front runner for the starting job at Auburn this year, and he was the backup for most of the year), and he was trying to save time to score again.  He was being a huge asshole, and his players paid the bill for it.  The biggest issue is that if the season didn't work out for him, he'd get to start over again the next year.  Most of those players don't have that luxury, this is their only chance and his behavior jeopardized all of their futures.  Honestly his team showed remarkable restraint based on the situation, and the coach acknowledged that after reviewing the tape.

Given how big of an inspiration Firestarter was for Eleven as psychokinetic weapon of mass destruction, I hope we get an operative specializing in disposal in the next season of Stranger Things paying homage to George C. Scott's Rainbird that works for the EGA (Evil Government Agency). It just now occurs to me that not only did Rainbird rock a sweeter ponytail but he also had a more lethal explosive martial arts strike than that poser Steven Seagal. Also get the fuck out of here with that throat ripping tiger claw death strike Dalton did in Roadhouse because that bullshit's impossible. Rainbird's explosive strike to the bridge of the nose is still the best.

My dad was either the worst or best dad ever because he let me watch stuff like Nightmare On Elm Street and Hellraiser while it was still fresh out on video tape. I don't remember either one of those sending me out of the room or even around the corner peaking but Dan Akroyd's Werewildcat from Twilight Zone: The Movie did manage to have that effect on me when I was barely four. I still get a slight thrill to this day out of waiting for the exact instant for Akroyd to pop back up and show Albert Brooks something really scary.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I watched the finale last night, and I want there to be more.  The finale was about as poignant of a case of race, class, and privlege that you'll ever see in a television show.  The majority of the players on the team have no other options, but football.  If they don't make it to the next level and get a scholarship to a Division I school, they don't have any plan Bs.  There is an event that starts in episode 5 and ends in episode 6 that shows how disposable we treat the people in the margins in this country.  It is one of those situations where a group has to make a split second decision that could literally ruin their lives, but they wouldn't be able to live with themselves if they didn't make it.    

Reveal hidden contents

After the incident the head coach behaves in a way that I just can't respect.  The team was put in an impossible situation, and even though they had everything to lose they were willing to lose it all for each other.  Afterwards their head coach, who spent the entire series being a loose cannon, called his team a bunch of rednecks and thugs.  His team is filled with players who have spent their entire lives being told that they are worthless.  There is a scene in this show where the academic advisor is talking to one of the star players on the team about how he is a bright kid who has the ability to be a good student.  He just has no confidence when it comes to school.  Afterwards, he is doing an interview talking about how he doesn't know if anyone at the school really cares about him as a person (she does by the way, she cares A LOT).  These kids don't need their football coach reinforcing their belief that they are worthless, and that is exactly what he did.  To the credit of everyone else on the coaching staff, they all took up for the players.  It would be irresponsible to say that the team was 100% in the right, but sometimes in life doing the wrong thing is the right decision.  It can be argued that the head coach brought this entire situation to a head, by calling two timeouts while up 40+ points in the last minute of the first half.  Their quarterback had already scored 6 rushing touchdowns(he's the front runner for the starting job at Auburn this year, and he was the backup for most of the year), and he was trying to save time to score again.  He was being a huge asshole, and his players paid the bill for it.  The biggest issue is that if the season didn't work out for him, he'd get to start over again the next year.  Most of those players don't have that luxury, this is their only chance and his behavior jeopardized all of their futures.  Honestly his team showed remarkable restraint based on the situation, and the coach acknowledged that after reviewing the tape.

IRL Buddy Stephens has no respect as a coach or person.  He is where he is because he's good at handling money.  There's a reason EMCC transformed out of nowhere into a magnet for elite prospects and a pipeline for talent to find its way to major D1 programs under his watch, and it's not because he has a sterling reputation for developing kids on and off the field (as evidenced by the show).  He's a glorified street agent.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

IRL Buddy Stephens has no respect as a coach or person.  He is where he is because he's good at handling money.  There's a reason EMCC transformed out of nowhere into a magnet for elite prospects and a pipeline for talent to find its way to major D1 programs under his watch, and it's not because he has a sterling reputation for developing kids on and off the field (as evidenced by the show).  He's a glorified street agent.

Honestly, his reaction towards his team in that final episode made me want to jump into the TV and kick his ass.  

Spoiler

There is a like 3 second part where he's trying to stop a kid from running on the field, and the kid is pleading with him saying, "Coach, they have DJ Law and they're stomping him out."  The player just looks at him like, "how can you see this and expect me not to help my teammate," before running out on the field.  He acted like his team was supposed to sit there and watch their star player get beaten to death on the field.  His players try to help their teammate they are rednecks and thugs, but he gets into a fist fight with a referee over a bad spot and they're supposed to respect him.   

Yeah, I know. I think we live in different times. For one thing, it's an age of binging where so much is at our fingertips. He can easily watch entire series just like that, and things are just available. We were much more married to the 2 hour limit of VHS and a 60 channel world without on demand, with just syndication or what not. I think about all the things I would have never watched, save for nothing else was on. Then there's the unending nature of things. I'd rent a game as a kid and beat it over a weekend, maybe, and rent another. He can play Space Engineers or Ark or Minecraft or whatever for six months or more. And youtube. He's probably more comfortable watching someone else play video games on youtube for eight hours than watching a show or movie. 

Plus he's our kid, which means he's seen Touch of Evil and Key Largo and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Rear Window or whatever we had on but not a lot of horror.