DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Kids was a big thing getting passed around my friends as well. I remember not being very shocked at all by it, which may say something about the school I went to. I felt the same way about that movie Thirteen with Evan Rachel Wood too. Both really quite mild, in my opinion, and not very good either.

Because of people like you, Clark and Korine upped the teens behaving badly genre ante with disturbing stuff like Gummo and Ken Park.  Thanks. :)

Posted Image

299) EVENT HORIZON

1997 - 118 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 UberRudo)

DIRECTOR: Paul W.S. Anderson

STARRING:  Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (22%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - Right now, the 22% freshness rating is the leader in the clubhouse for lowest score to make the countdown.

I had JACOB'S LADDER in my 130's. If we do another re-visit a few years from now, and I'm actually able to make an attempt to watch a shitload of 90's movies before making my list instead of going off memory, it might make my top 100.

Rippa reads this post, then if he remembers my list, cringes.

Living in Oblivion is the first movie that I truly feel like a dunce for leaving off my ballot. Now I'm mad at myself, and feel like I should apologize to Jingus for making his number 3 film fall so low. 

Considering the fact that I'm the one who pushed two of his top 10 through, I'm a little disappointed that we haven't yet seen these much talked about write-ups. :)

• Like 1

I'm seeing a hell of a lot of titles here that are movies I haven't watched in long years.  I might've included a lot of them if I'd seen 'em within the past decade or so, but ce la vie.  

314) MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

1993 - 112 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #43 UberRudo)

My first pick on the big list!  (Although I can't believe that I'm sharing it with the one guy who liked Fire Walk With Me!)

302) LIVING IN OBLIVION

1995 - 117 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #3 Jingus)

Sigh... who was the other guy?  

Living in Oblivion is the first movie that I truly feel like a dunce for leaving off my ballot. Now I'm mad at myself, and feel like I should apologize to Jingus for making his number 3 film fall so low. 

I take apologies in the form of cash, gift cards to really cool stores, and co-signs for various loans.  

300) NOISES OFF

1992 - 118 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #35 Hillary)

Wait... did I forget to vote for this one?!

(runs to check my much-edited list)

...whew, nope, there it is at a respectable 49.  What is it about backstage behind-the-scenes comedy that it generally turns out really good?  

299) EVENT HORIZON

1997 - 118 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 UberRudo)

I still don't get UberRudo, nor anyone else who would vote for this.  It's a blatant ripoff of both Solaris and Hellraiser, with a million other little haunted-house plagiarisms.  The CGI effects looked shaky at the time and look downright shitty today, and the STUPIDLY LOUD soundtrack mix doesn't help.  

297) TOKYO FIST

1995 - 120 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #8 Jingus)

Sigh... who was the other guy?  

Considering the fact that I'm the one who pushed two of his top 10 through, I'm a little disappointed that we haven't yet seen these much talked about write-ups.  :)

I wish I could do it, but I didn't get past about 25 before college suddenly jumped out and snapped an iron chain around my free time.  I'm writing this post on a deserted floor of a university library at 3 in the morning.  (spooky music, accompanied by Scott Wall scared-finger-waggling gif)  Maybe I can finish it as a little bonus thingy for the end of the countdown, but right now I've got like three different papers due this week which I haven't even started on yet.  

Posted Image

296) ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

1999 - 122 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #29 CSC)

DIRECTOR: Oliver Stone

STARRING: Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz

Placement On Original List: #164 (5 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (50%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - I was the other vote here. It had Lawrence Taylor and James Brown. Y'all are lucky I didn't put it in my Top 10.

Posted Image

295) PHILADELPHIA

1993 - 122 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #18 Randy)

DIRECTOR: Jonathan Demme

STARRING: Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Roberta Maxwell

Placement On Original List: #64 (7 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (77%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - Our early leader for biggest fall from the original list.

Yeah, that's pretty surprising to see Philadelphia this low (says the guy who didn't even have it on his own ballot). I wonder why it got only 2 votes this time, as opposed to the 7 it got the first time around?

Well the simplest answer is that this time its a complete different sample group. I did a quick look at the original results and I count approximately 16 people who voted last time who didn't vote this time (this number isn't firm because I could have easily missed someone changing their user name and I did the count in about 30 seconds).

So this batch either didn't like it (at all or enough to vote for it) or didn't see it. (I fall in the later category)

Posted Image

292) TWISTER

1996 - 123 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #33 Rippa)

DIRECTOR: Jan de Bont

STARRING: Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton, Cary Elwes 

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (58%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - Y'all suck. Except CSC... he has amazing taste in movies.

That Van Haggar track put it over the top for you guys, didn't it?

Posted Image

292) TWISTER

1996 - 123 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #33 Rippa)

DIRECTOR: Jan de Bont

STARRING: Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton, Cary Elwes 

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (58%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - Y'all suck. Except CSC... he has amazing taste in movies.

The reasons behind your fondness for my ballot are quickly becoming clear.

I eagerly await the highest of the "just the two of us" votes.