DVDVR Message Board

[Best of] THE TOP 330 MOVIES OF THE 1990s

RIPPA

Note From Rippa - Televiper was also the high vote in the original poll. Though he had it #28 then.

This is true, it did slide down my ballot again because I've consciously exposed myself to even more 90's costume drama and other films were better but its still a really good movie.

328) HE GOT GAME

1998 - 101 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #46 JR Goldman)

Sometimes I think that Public Enemy song from the movie ruins this one in my memory ("I got game, she got game, we got game") and other times I think it's the best thing about the movie.

326) THE INDIAN RUNNER

1991 - 102 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #40 Televiper)

DIRECTOR: Sean

I have no idea what this is, but everything (the poster, the cast) makes it look pretty awesome.

320) HOWARDS END

Note From Rippa - Televiper was also the high vote in the original poll. Though he had it #28 then.

Every single time this is on TV, my dad says "Howards Rear End" and laughs to himself.  I'm not sure I could ever watch it without constantly thinking of that.

319) KING OF NEW YORK

Probably should have been higher, just for Christopher Walken's dance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

313) TO LIVE (HUO ZHE)

1994 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #44 ohtani's jacket)

DIRECTOR: Yimou Zhang

STARRING:  You Ge, Li Gong, Ben Niu

Placement On Original List: N/A

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - This is the start of a 4 movie tiebreaker block. Sadly there are many more of those to come.

• Like 1

I was the other vote on To Live. Didn't get to rewatch it, but it made a big impact on me when I saw it years ago and thought it was a very, very solid film that told an interesting multi-generational story about life in China. I think I must have had it not that far off where O.J. had it on his ballot.

Posted Image

312) THE LAST SEDUCTION

1994 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #33 Televiper)

DIRECTOR: John Dahl

STARRING:  Linda Fiorentino, Peter Berg, Bill Pullman

Placement On Original List: #275 (2 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - Last Seduction was the last movie on the last countdown. Televiper was again the high vote then (#37). I swear I am not picking on him. He is the only one that this has happened to so far.

Oh and basing this solely on the movie posters... Linda Fiorentino... Good Lord. I might need to watch this movie... and get some me time. Dammit - said the quiet part loud again.

• Like 1

Posted Image

309) IRON MONKEY

1993 - 114 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 jaedmc)

DIRECTOR: Woo-ping Yuen

STARRING:  Rongguang Yu, Donnie Yen, Jean Wang

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - So very irritated. It wasn't until right now when I was going to post this that I realized that I left Iron Monkey off my ballot. Grr...

Posted Image

311) NEWSIES

1992 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #31 Hillary)

DIRECTOR: Kenny Ortega

STARRING:  Christian Bale, Bill Pullman, Robert Duvall

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (40%)

WIKI

I was the other vote on this. First thing I ever saw Bale in and I've been a big fan of his since. This is also the reason I want Generico/Zayn to have a 1920's singing paperboy gimmick.

• Like 2

315) TITUS

1999 - 110 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #52 Televiper)

The 90's was a great decade for Shakespeare. This is one of the better ones. Also the 1st film I voted for to make the count, though much love for Cronos, King of New York, To Live, The Last Seduction, and Iron Monkey.

THE LIST SO FAR(330-309)
330. SOAPDISH (Hoffman, 1991) - 100 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #16 Hillary)
329. TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (Lynch, 1992) - 100 Points - 1 Vote (Highest Vote: #1 UberRudo)
328. HE GOT GAME (Lee, 1998) - 101 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #46 JR Goldman)
327. SLEEPERS (Levinsons, 1996) - 101 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 Newb82)
326. THE INDIAN RUNNER (Penn, 1991) - 102 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #40 Televiper)
325. EUROPA (Von Trier, 1991) - 102 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #26 Control)
324. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S ROMEO + JULIET (Luhrman, 1996) - 103 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #14 Hillary)
323. CRONOS (Del Toro, 1993) - 103 Points - 2 Votes (Highest: #47 Natural)
322. LAST ACTION HERO (McTiernan, 1993) - 103 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #35 Rippa)
321. 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (Junger, 1999) - 104 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #18 Natural)
320. HOWARDS END (Ivory, 1992) - 105 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #44 Televiper)
319. KING OF NEW YORK (Ferrara, 1990) - 107 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #30 EricR)
318. A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (Redford, 1992) - 108 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #17 Tim Evans)
317. A SIMPLE PLAN (Raimi, 1998) - 109 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #21 Kyle Casey)
316. GEORGIA (Ulu, 1995) - 109 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #30 Kawada)
315. TITUS (Taymor, 1999) - 110 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #52 Televiper)
314. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Branagh, 1993) - 112 Points - 3 Votes (Highest Vote: #43 UberRudo)
313. TO LIVE (HUO ZHE) (Yimou, 1994) - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #44 ohtani's jacket)
312. THE LAST SEDUCTION (Dahl, 1994) - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #33 Televiper)
311. NEWSIES (Ortega, 1992) - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #31 Hillary)
310. SHALLOW GRAVE (Boyle, 1994) - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #5 JR Goldman)
309. IRON MONKEY (Woo-ping, 1993 - 114 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 jaedmc)

Note From Rippa - So very irritated. It wasn't until right now when I was going to post this that I realized that I left Iron Monkey off my ballot. Grr...

So much bullshit. 

Note From Rippa - Last Seduction was the last movie on the last countdown. Televiper was again the high vote then (#37). I swear I am not picking on him. He is the only one that this has happened to so far.

Yeah, not surprised I'm still the high vote here but I would've thought this would've garnered more votes than last time given how much this film still gets pimped.

313) TO LIVE (HUO ZHE)

1994 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #44 ohtani's jacket)

DIRECTOR: Yimou Zhang

STARRING:  You Ge, Li Gong, Ben Niu

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - This is the start of a 4 movie tiebreaker block. Sadly there are many more of those to come.

I loved this movie back when I first saw it during my devouring-everything-foreign movie-watching phase.  Its impact has dulled in my memory as it's so chalk full of tragedy that it almost becomes silly to me, like a soap opera.

312) THE LAST SEDUCTION

1994 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #33 Televiper)

DIRECTOR: John Dahl

STARRING:  Linda Fiorentino, Peter Berg, Bill Pullman

Placement On Original List: #275 (2 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%)

WIKI

Oh and basing this solely on the movie posters... Linda Fiorentino... Good Lord. I might need to watch this movie... and get some me time. Dammit - said the quiet part loud again.

I had this poster on my ceiling for a great number of my teenage years.  Never did see the movie.  Liked the poster.

310) SHALLOW GRAVE

1994 - 113 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #5 JR Goldman)

DIRECTOR: Danny Boyle

STARRING:  Kerry Fox, Christopher Eccleston, Ewan McGregor

Placement On Original List: #171 (4 Votes)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (72%)

WIKI

I enjoyed this back when I saw it, but now the only thing I remember is when I turned up the soundtrack at a pawn shop and it's got this little narration from Ewen McGregor at the start of the title-track and I couldn't hear what he was saying and, from that point, every time I mentioned it my brother broke into a pseudo-McGregor impression and would go "I'm Ewen McGregor...welcome to my Shallow Grave" followed by a spooky laugh and now that's all I can remember about the movie and/or soundtrack.

309) IRON MONKEY

1993 - 114 Points - 2 Votes (Highest Vote: #27 jaedmc)

DIRECTOR: Woo-ping Yuen

STARRING:  Rongguang Yu, Donnie Yen, Jean Wang

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

WIKI

I spent years trying to track it down and when I finally saw it...meh.  The comedy was too silly, too over-the-top, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a ridiculous stunts martial arts film.

Two movies off my list. I'm a bit disappointed that A Simple Plan got 5 fewer votes this time around. Until I looked it up for my ballot, I had no idea Sam Raimi was the director, so that's cool.

The wife gets a kick out of these. For example, she kind of snorted at the idea of Soapdish being on the bottom of the list, implying that she would've had it pretty high on her hypothetical ballot. "I guess I should be surprised it's on there at all" was her comment IIRC. If she were voting, I think these countdowns would be very different, methinks. :P

Two movies off my list. I'm a bit disappointed that A Simple Plan got 5 fewer votes this time around. Until I looked it up for my ballot, I had no idea Sam Raimi was the director, so that's cool.

The wife gets a kick out of these. For example, she kind of snorted at the idea of Soapdish being on the bottom of the list, implying that she would've had it pretty high on her hypothetical ballot. "I guess I should be surprised it's on there at all" was her comment IIRC. If she were voting, I think these countdowns would be very different, methinks. :P

If my wife was voting - Soapdish would have been higher (and I was one of the votes for it)

Newsies would have been WAY higher and God knows where Sister Act would end up

If I had put together a gimmick ballot for teenage JR, I think Shallow Grave might have been number one. I still think it is a tremendous thriller, that holds up better than some of the 90s suspense films that will inevitably be higher. I think this is due to the small and talented cast making this very much a filmed stage drama by the end. It really adds a claustrophobic element that I find lacking from other movies of this type.