DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 7/26/2016

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Well, it's good to know I can continue not watching SD for a while.

All we need is Raw to trade Roman, Sheamus, Show, Shining Stars, and Henry for AJ and Alpha, and the women not named Eva or Nattie. Also, when they're ready for NXT call-ups send Joe, Nak, Aries, Bayley, and Asuka to Raw, while SD gets the fresh game-changing talents of Blake, Murphy, and the Drifter.

fixed

Hmm.  I didn't actively hate the show, but they have a lot of work to do. Tonight showcased how tiny the roster really is.

You can't say it's about the wrestlers, then have Shane and Bryan out there so much, absorbing all the pops.  When Stephanie isn't hogging as much TV time as you, you may have a problem. Randy Orton needs to stop projecting his kinks upon others. Nothing wrong with those kinks, but he was among polite company. The parade of women felt like that scene in Taken where the girls were being auctioned off. Tell Corbin to buy black pants. Sometimes, it's OK for Cena to go over.  Ziggler is good, but I'm trying to picture his match with Ambrose and--I don't know.  And finally, don't put together 115 minutes of TV programming when you need to cover 120 minutes.  It felt like Shane and Bryan were trying to sell Ambrose and Ziggler full-life insurance policies.

Until they get more talent on the roster, I think SD needs to go full gonzo with the show.  Have Ambrose eating quick-mix concrete on screen (the crushed pea gravel helps you grow!). Team Alexa Bliss with Erick Rowan as Little Bo Peep and the Forgotten Sheep.  Bray and AJ form a banjo dueling duo, Follow the Phenomenonals. They already have matching hoodies. Old Man Cena selling liniment and sassafras syrup. Eva Marie going All Blue Everything--the perfect Smurfette gimmick!

When you can't be better, be different and weird.  It'll tide you over until reinforcements are called in.

• Like 9

So the Smackdown Fist has returned in virtual form on the titan:Tron game grid. 

Simon Gotch has cut his t-shirt in the style of his singlet

So, the SDL Tag Division (and a few others) were in a battle royal to determine who would be in the six pack challenge.  Boy, was Zack having a bad night in that match.  But did JBL out bad Zack by calling Kalisto "Sin Cara".  Is Kevin Dunn on Smackdown because it felt like they totally missed Kalisto doing a frog splash on Kane.  I was half expecting them to have Kane do the Zombie Sit Up and throw out all the jobbronies at one point, but at least they sort of elevated Crews even though he won by suckering Kane over the top rope. 

So I guess with Shelton and Rhyno getting promoed, we know where some of the former employees they reached out to are probably showing up.  Since they have the Tron opening, maybe Chuck Palumbo can show up and build them lightcycles.

Nattie looked really awkward in any spot where it looked like she was supposed to be kicked off so she could do a running rebound.

I'm just happy to know that the narrator from the Cryme Tyme intro (a.k.a Nise Gary Owens) is still alive and now doing Eva's entrance

Miz doing an interview segment where he got up and sat in a different chair when answering questions to himself was brilliant.  If Matt Hardy wasn't killing it so hard every week, Miz and Maryse would probably be best reinvention of an act.

So Dolph vs. Dean is going to be the main event on the pre-show, right?

Did they figure SummerSlam was so loaded they didn't really need a marquee WWE title match, preferring to save it for Backlash, which will surely need it?

Or is this yet another "screw you guys" to the people who think Bray Wyatt will rise to the main event?

Or both? I do think Bray will get his day sooner rather than later, actually, probably at Backlash.

I think they just want us guessing a bit. I figured Bray would sneak out a win and it'd be Bray vs. Ambrose at SummerSlam. I also figured Roman would beat Balor because, well, Roman, and because they'd want to run Roman vs. Rollins again. They're trying to increase the "anything can happen" factor.

The first sign of "Wait...what are they doing?" was Bryan and Shane proudly announcing that there was a Battle Royal for the sixth slot and everyone was eligible, then coming back from a commercial and a bunch of them (Orton, Miz, American Alpha) had left.  What's the kayfabe reason there? "Hey guys, I know you have a title/a SS match/Aren't debuting until next week, but that match we said everyone was eligible for...none of you are eligible for it."

I thought the best result for the Battle Royal would have been Erik Rowan winning, followed by a mid-Smackdown moment where Bray runs across Rowan and tells him The Wyatt Family will dominate only for Rowan to say he's his own man now.  Plus, then you have Rowan eat the pin.

That said, I enjoyed Dolph going over because he is still a super-over act.  He got a huge pop for his win, and even though people here hate his offence, his Zig Zag/Superkick, even his Fameasser are all super over moves that pop the crowd huge.  

I'd like to see Bray and/or AJ Styles take Ascension on as back-up.  I think there's potential there for them to be an over act (Konnor is freaking huge) or, at the least, entertaining cannon fodder to back up a bigger act.

Smackdown actually has way more tag teams than I'd thought: A.Alpha, Usos, Hype Bros, Vaudevillains, Ascension.  I think my preference would be for the Usos to turn heel, win some tag titles, and have Alpha chase them for a while.  Women's division is more of a work-in-progress, so I don't think there's as much of a need for a belt there yet.  I wouldn't be shocked to see title announcements for both after Summerslam but before the SD PPV.

Slater's promo got over way more than I think anyone was expecting (I really don't think they expected the SD crowd to chant along with Heath, hence his happy marching reaction), but I think that's what happens when you let guys talk without worrying too much about catchphrases and just let them sound tough.  Who was the wrestler he beat up?  A local guy?

This show was perfectly fine.   All this bitching about Kane but it's clear he is there to put over the younger guys. Like it or not, Kane is viewed as a legitimate guy to the majority of the audience. Crews takes him out and then gets to cut a promo in the walkway with Renee straight after.  I didn't see an issue with that at all.  The camera angles during the battle royal were good too.

Heath Slater's segment was awesome.     The Miz and Orton stuff was ehh but the same thing is going to happen on RAW with Brock. Lesnar will barely be here. I guess he's going to show up once but that's much more of a Lesnar and SummerSlam issue then anything SD! creative could have done. They have to put Orton out there to promote the match. 

They introduced some new women to their division and Eva's entrance was brilliant. Another fine segment there.  It's a work in progress and I thought Alexa/Carmella were called up too soon but they will get there.

Six pack challenge was decent. I don't know what some folks were watching because clearly Cena, AJ and Bray are all very over with the crowd and Dolph still receives a nice reaction all these years later.

This is a feud for Dean Ambrose like Bret Hart facing The Patriot. Everyone knew The Patriot wasn't going to win but he got a good showing against the top guy on the show and it gave Bret something to do until it was time for an Austin or Taker. 

Why run AJ vs. Ambrose now?  SummerSlam doesn't need that match.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Someone should be slobbering over the return of Chris Masters any minute now...

I've seen both of them live a bunch of times and Shelton was always way more exciting to see live than Masters.  The Masters thing was cute for a while. Sure, he was having some nice little sub-10 minute matches that most people didn't see but that's all it was.  Is Shelton a great worker?  No, not really but fuck that, watch his highlight reel. He's still the man to me. 

If SD! brought back Carlito Tuesday evenings would be must-watch television in my house.

Back to this show, I'm really not sure what people were expecting.  SD! clearly did NOT win the draft that much we know.  It was discussed at length. So they have to think a little bit about what they want to do here.  Can we blow through AJ and Dean within the first month?  Yes, you could do that but it's better to be thinking long-term.  Bring in some people like Rhyno who are known and they can be the gatekeepers like a Kane for all the young dudes to roll through.  They gotta build up Crews and Corbin and those guys. 

Then MAYBE after Brooklyn they get a stimulus package and Nakamura shows up and Joe shows up..   I mean really, they COULD go to RAW but the roster is already stacked over there, it wouldn't make much sense.  Ten weeks from now everyone would be bitching about why is Sami Zayn barely on and why is Rusev jobbing so much etc.. 

A brand split was never going to be perfect overnight.  

One last thing..    the tag divisions and the women.  No, they didn't address it. That doesn't mean they will NEVER address it. It's the first show. American Alpha are debuting next week. Some of the new women will probably debut next week also.  I still think both issues will be addressed. 

If there was ever a time to "wait and see"...   it's now.

• Like 1

Not country enough. Wrestling needs country, dammit, and not that "spooky" Sister Abigail backward-crab-walk Wyatt crap. I'm talkin' Bunkhouse Buck/Col. Robert Parker/Jamie Noble/Dick Murdoch funny charismatic country. Not that Godwinns shit, the real deal. Comin' to Smackdown: Dem Boys. Retcon them as from North Georgia, have Unknown Hinson do their theme song, boom.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jstout said:

Not country enough. Wrestling needs country, dammit, and not that "spooky" Sister Abigail backward-crab-walk Wyatt crap. I'm talkin' Bunkhouse Buck/Col. Robert Parker/Jamie Noble/Dick Murdoch funny charismatic country. Not that Godwinns shit, the real deal. Comin' to Smackdown: Dem Boys. Retcon them as from North Georgia, have Unknown Hinson do their theme song, boom.

A THOUSAND TIMES YES! To the return of Bunkhouse Buck and Col. Robert Parker.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If SD! brought back Carlito Tuesday evenings would be must-watch television in my house.

Carlito was supposed to wrestle in Valdosta a few weeks ago but it got changed several weeks out with the rumor being he signed with WWE.

18 minutes ago, jstout said:

I dunno. When the Godwinns started walking around wearing overalls with Confederate Flag patches on them, that seemed pretty country to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

This could force them to turn Ziggler heel or just turn him naturally, which would be good because I kind of loved him as the preppie asshole.  To me he's only been shit since he turned babyface with his title win and mainly because he didn't keep any of that persona and instead became the little kid version of Michael Anthony from the Hot for Teacher video while thinking he was the little kid version of David Lee Roth from the Hot for Teacher video.

Well, we all can't grow up to become a champion sumo wrestler or America's favorite tv game show host.

• Like 3

The biggest problem with Ambrose/Ziggler is it has all the makings of a terrible, terrible match. Ambrose's biggest strength as a face is his selling, where he can show his tenacity and determination as he attempts to fight back. He's not the strongest guy, nor the biggest, but he's a scrappy fighter. However, Ziggler is a dreadful offensive wrestler, so there's nothing for him to have to fight back from. On the other hand, Ziggler is incapable of actually selling any damage, so a prolonged period of Ambrose offence isn't going to work either. What I expect to see is two guy spamming superkicks/rebound lariats for 15 minutes. At least they're hopefully not stupid enough to make Ziggler champion.