DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 7/26/2016

Dolfan in NYC

I was looking forward to an Alexa/Becky feud before the other women came out. I feel like Alexa could be a big deal, but man is that division going to be dire whenever Becky isn't in a match.

Becky / Nattie was a very solid match. 

It just had the hard luck to be on a mildly entertaining yet pedestrian show following a fucking epic RAW with one of the best womens matches ever shown on television which just happens to be an instant classic and legit MOTY contender. 

• Like 3

I realize admitting to liking Ziggler is a banable offense around here, but I still think he's a great worker.  Granted his finishers are basically meaningless at this point and he's never not been booked like absolute crap or not followed up on, but I'm still glad he's around.  That being said I don't think he was the right guy to go over here.

Shelton Benjamin coming back is a good thing.  I've been hoping for a while that he'd return (preferably to reform the WGTT with Swagger, but he's on job duty on Raw) and hopefully they'll do something interesting with him. 

Rhyno showing up is also cool, but something tells me he'll do one match and be gone again.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I knew this was going to be the Anti-RAW when the fucking battle royal got booked.  When in doubt, cover the shortcomings of your shitty workers by throwing them into a cluster fuck or a triple threat.

God, I love The Miz.  He continues to be the molten heat machine of this fucking fed and he leans into offense like he loves to eat hospital food and uses his wonderful doucheness to put over guys that are in dire need of getting over.

Who do you feed to the Viper when smarks like me post Fuck Randy Orton.as often as they can?  The mother fucking Miz.

They managed to put Orton, who is one of my least favorite people on the roster, in the ring with someone I actually wanted to see him beat the shit out of.  I don't know if that's good character work and booking, or if it means I just hate both Orton and Miz.

32 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Part of the problem with Smackdown is that it has too many guys who really should just go away for a long time. Longer than nine months. Orton, Bray, Kane, Miz...I think everyone who praises Miz makes sense in terms of how good he is in his role, but man, he's just so stale even considering that. 

Kane should just stop. There is no amount of coming back or time spent away that will spur even an iota of interest in him. Dude has done that at least 5 times and nothing stuck. Just give it up. He is a great actor, but he basically useless. He cannot put anybody over because beating him is meaningless. He cannot beat anybody without effectively burying the person he beats. Dude should take a job with Regal and help guys with their acting skills(because if we can take anything from Kane, he is a phenomenal actor even in the worst of roles).

They are obviously waiting to get Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Asuka,and Nakamura on this show until Triple H finds three suitable candidates to replace them in NXT. Probably who ever gets signed in the CWC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

They managed to put Orton, who is one of my least favorite people on the roster, in the ring with someone I actually wanted to see him beat the shit out of.  I don't know if that's good character work and booking, or if it means I just hate both Orton and Miz.

You legit hate Orton less because you kayfabe hate Miz more.

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Having to choose who I'd rather watch between Orton and Miz is like choosing if I'd rather die of cancer or AIDS. 

• Like 4

Man, Eva's entrance is SO horrific that it's going to get over huge. She'll be a massive babyface in a few months. Almost New Day-esque(minus the charisma & personality).

• Like 1

Here's the thing that I think people need to catch up on. For as much as people remember Smackdown for being the "Workrate" show or whatever from the Smackdown 6 days, the draft should have told us everything we needed to know about which was going to be the "fresh" show. Every single talent fans have really been wanting pushed lately (Sami, Owens, Cesaro, Enzo and Cass) ended up on Raw, were as outside of Styles, Becky, and AA, Smackdowns draft has just been "guys who have been around forever". The Brand Split seems to have been created by USA Networks meddling with them wanting "Big Stars" to Smackdown, but USA Isn't wrestling savvy enough to know that "Big Stars" aren't the things the crowd is hot for right now, it's hot for "Rising Stars". They are the ones getting the live reactions. As for ratings, who knows at this point. So Smackdown got "older" more established names, and Raw got most of the young, really good talent people are amped for, but people got list in the "Shane and Bryan want Change!" thing that hasn't actually led to anything.

Also, let's be real here, it sure felt like Raw was more of a Triple H run NXT based show then a usual TV show. Today felt like it had Vinces hands all over it. If that is a trend, Raw is gonna be a hot show to watch for a long while.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Having to choose who I'd rather watch between Orton and Miz is like choosing if I'd rather die of cancer or AIDS. 

You feel the way you do because you realize that Miz will have to sell Randy Orton's shitty offense as if it were 1975 again and the Miz was in the ring with a Valentine and you know that Orton is not going to job anytime soon.

Then Orton will vie for Ambrose's belt and you can play the drinking game where if a guy hits a move that looks like it doesn't hurt one bit, you take a shot..

A month ago when it came out that Vince would be the guy primarily in charge of SD, I got worried that it would just end up like Raw.

Then I watched Raw last night and it was a breath of fresh air. Immediately I thought that SD would for sure suck because they weren't going to give both shows the same treatment.

Turns out I was right. What in the fuck? BRAY WYATT IS RIGHT THERE! Why Ziggler? Why? For fucks sake, you can even play up that Ambrose can't beat Bray. If you're the USA Network, how are you not pissed right now?

• Like 1

Do I get to be the first person to mention Viperville?? 

Does cobra commander know about this shit? 

When they had the 15 people out on the apron to start the show and DB announced the battle royal I thought he was gonna say fuck it and go LU style and tell all the women their in it too so it wouldn't have been as sad too watch depending on your perspective I suppose. 

• Like 1

DOLPH ZIGGLER! Here to Show the World. Loved how that was truly unpredictable. I thought of the 6, he actually had the smallest chance of winning. I figured when he got his visual fall on Wyatt after the Zig Zag, that was it for him. Legit marked out a bit for the finish, thought that final stretch of Cena's AA fest was awesome. I realize I'm the only one who loved this.

Great to see Rhyno back on the main roster and Shelton on his way. Excited for any returning legends and veterans to get another run.

Orton/Miz was odd as a match, was scared that Orton got hurt again early as it looked that way and the finish was awkward for a bit but he seemed ok in the end.

Becky/Natalya was very solid. Not sure we needed all the others coming out but I really liked Alexa's initial introduction, she came off excellent and has star potential.

I like Smackdown Live.

• Like 1

Be of good cheer.   We all know from sports that there will be talk of trades and such, so the rosters will not remain static.   If they are smart, they will take stock of what worked, want didn't work, and adjust both programs so that both shows have comparable rosters. 

Right now, RAW is fucking stacked and Smackdown had about as solid of a card as you could have with the roster it had.  Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the matches; this show just had the bad luck to be on television 24 hours after the most exciting RAW in the past few years.

Tonight was not the night to play it safe.

Speaking of Rhyno, that Heath Slater promo was pretty good. I wouldn't mind them building him up as a dangerous outsider who runs in on both shows and costs people their matches until he gets signed/gets an IC or US shot.

Or you could feed him to Rhyno. That's cool too.