DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 7/26/2016

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'd assume Asuka loses in August and comes up too, 

My theory is Asuka wins in Brooklyn and then brings the NXT Women's Title to SDLive. It would give NXT time to rebuild their women's division and give Smackdown Live their own women's title

I have to say, the "Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan being all over the show was a ploy to make Stephanie McMahon look better because she wasn't on Raw that much" is getting close to jet-fuel-can't-melt-steel-beams level of paranoia.

I've seen people say that Summer Rae can work but so far I'm not trying to argue I just have never seen it from her. She plays her character well but in-ring I don't know. Paige is good but she hasn't improved since NXT. I don't know what happened to her.  Dana is another woman who plays her character really well but hasn't figured it out in the ring. 

I do think both divisions need work. 

Anybody know the timeline on when Nikki and Emma could be coming back? I know Nikki posted a vid of her and Bayley doing some training on Twitter, but haven't see much of anything about Emma. Put both of them on SD and the women's division is a hell of a lot stronger. The heel/face dynamic would need a bit of work even if Nikki comes back as a face, though.

27 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I feel like the Smackdown women roster's glaring weakness is less in-ring work and more women who can cut a promo/carry an angle. The only woman on the roster I have confidence in is Natalya and I'm not really sure that's a good sign.

Natalya is pretty terrible at promos and character work. Bliss, Carmella, Naomi, Summer Rae are all actively better than her by a good margin. Whats more than can blend it well enough in the ring which Natalya pretty much sucks at. Honestly the division can work if they actually try to book them in a an even remotely decent manner. It just won't be as good as Raw's division can be because they have no one on the same level as Charlotte & Sasha. Put Bayley on SD and that changes. Really even Nia being on SD would have been a lot better for the division.

22 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Amusingly, I think Natalya is just fucking awful with a microphone. I'd say Bliss is the best promo they have.

Natalya's commentating during her feud with Charlotte made me actively dislike her.

I'm not talking about this board, but something I've found interesting in my reading elsewhere since last night are some of the reactions to Dolph's win. For all the talk over the last few years (from some) about how crazy it is they're not pushing him, and how feel-good his post-WM title win was, I found it very interesting how so many were now saying "Dolph? He's an upper-midcard guy at best!" Holy shit, this is exactly what you've been asking for! Maybe it's just something that speaks to how guys are perceived based on WWE's booking of them, but I was really surprised by that given how seemingly widespread the call to push him was only fairly recently.

It's a great example of how 50/50 booking will ruin the perception of a guy and how much wins actually matter. Dolph it's more 30/70 and as a result no one sees him as a credible threat to Ambrose. If he were to win the title instead of elevating him it would lower the status of the WWE title to that of the pre-unification World title. And I don't think anyone expects him to win at Summerslam which is why I'm worried they'll do it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Fresh said:

One thing no one has mentioned yet: no Raw recaps.

Weren't there no RAW recaps on RAW itself also?  Just the announcers explaining what happened rather than the same clip over and over at the top of every hour.

49 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

It's a great example of how 50/50 booking will ruin the perception of a guy and how much wins actually matter. Dolph it's more 30/70 and as a result no one sees him as a credible threat to Ambrose. If he were to win the title instead of elevating him it would lower the status of the WWE title to that of the pre-unification World title. And I don't think anyone expects him to win at Summerslam which is why I'm worried they'll do it anyway.

I think it's pretty easy to elevate people quickly these days, especially with two hours a week.  NXT would do an amazing job of going from a nothing tag division, to building up a team like The Revival to being unstoppable champions in a few weeks time. 

I mean it will never happen, but if Dolph comes out the next three weeks saying he wants to prove that his win isn't a fluke and they let him run through Crews => Del Rio => Cena or AJ before SummerSlam, everyone would believe he was capable of beating Ambrose without devaluing the title.

It's obvious that they are basically going for a hard reset of the entire roster, so you have to pretty much ignore everything that's happened for the past forever and just go from here.

• Like 1

I thought two things. 

1. AJ and Cena are already paired up and it's been a good program that people want to see. 

2. Keep Dean strong.  So you have Dolph with his moment but he falls short at the PPV.  You save Corbin, Crews, Wyatt and these guys for the future.

21 hours ago, Cristobal said:

The Raw women's roster isn't fantastic either.

• Sasha
  • Charlotte
  • Dana
  • Nia
  • Paige
  • Alicia Fox
  • Summer Rae

Well, you've got a bunch of heels in there to play Villain of the Month for Sasha's title, so you at least have some sort of locker room dynamic to work with.

Nia Jax has been spectacular lately now that she's found her niche as the monster heel of the Women's Division.

Alicia Fox and Paige are pretty solid when they are motivated. 

On 7/27/2016 at 7:07 PM, Eivion said:

Natalya is pretty terrible at promos and character work. Bliss, Carmella, Naomi, Summer Rae are all actively better than her by a good margin. Whats more than can blend it well enough in the ring which Natalya pretty much sucks at. Honestly the division can work if they actually try to book them in a an even remotely decent manner. It just won't be as good as Raw's division can be because they have no one on the same level as Charlotte & Sasha. Put Bayley on SD and that changes. Really even Nia being on SD would have been a lot better for the division.

Becky is a sleeper hit babyface if they just let her show more of her natural goofy-fun side. At the very least it'll help emphasize her serious bizzness promos.

I have friends who are like Natalya when trying to communicate; it's like a long awkward silence whenever they talk. Funny enough, when they were doing stuff with Tyson, he really helped anchor her.

Becky's promos tend to get decent reactions from what i recall. Her problem at this point is more keeping the audience tuned in during her actual matches. Natalya is not the best opponent to help her with that. I think she might do a little better with Bliss & Naomi.

I was so excited for SD on draft day. Then Shane got mugged. The SD roster is the worst B team in history. They have Ambrose and Gable/Jordan and who else???? Fuck Dolph Ziggler his face run has been awful, turn heel. Randy Orton, you sir are boring. Kane, I could care less at this point. Crews, give him a 30 second promo so I know he has not forgotten how to speak. Miz, a bathroom break for the fans. Corbin, a turd. Usos, when I say Uce, yall say zzzzzzzz...

Then there is Main Event, which I hoped would get a shake up after all this, but no, its the same except without Swagger, so it's worse.

forgive my negativity but I love SD/Main Event and I just want the best for it.

On 27/07/2016 at 4:17 AM, The Natural said:

In the WWE Draft 2016 Smackdown show thread, I said my Sister paid for me and Dad to see WWE in November before the roster split announcement. Looking at the rosters, I was hoping to get RAW. I'm wanting RAW even more now. PLEASE!

On 27/07/2016 at 4:19 AM, Eivion said:

You say that, but if Smackdown hasn't died in flames before then there is a good chance people like Joe, Nakamura, & Bayley will end up on SD.

I went on wwe.com to see if WWE Live was updated with details, it has and the show I’m going to gets…RAW! Touch wood I’ll get to see Sasha Banks for the first time, wanted to since she came up to the main roster in July 2015 but she was at different shows to mine. The other show same time as mine/my Dad’s is Smackdown. I really hope this doesn’t get switched, nobody gets injured and there are no new additions to the Smackdown roster I’d have liked to see. Good job I got to see AJ Styles last time around.

• Like 1