DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL PRESEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Best thing about preseason: being able to get tickets to games for next to nothing on StubHub. The Jets preseason opener is a week from this Thursday and I already have a ticket to the Mets game that afternoon. Can get a Jets ticket for $6 and do a two sport doubleheader.

7 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

Man, if that's the case, your Bills probably should have gone after him. ; D

No thanks, I've seen that movie. I remember him throwing away the playoffs, at least once, maybe twice. If you need a guy to shit the bed in the biggest game of the year, accept no substitutes. . . .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000677791/article/geno-smith-im-auditioning-for-32-nfl-teams-right-now?campaign=fb-nf-sf32098873-sf32098873

GENO~! auditioning for the Jets and the other 31 teams. Any takers? Would you prefer G-Nooooo to Sanchez if you're Denver? 

OH MY GOD I JUST HAD THE BEST IDEA EVER

San Fran should throw them a 6th rounder for Geno so we can have the shittiest QB controversy of all time.

Silly when players do that. I never begrudge a player for getting paid when a Free Agent and I understand the dislike of the franchise tag, but holding out when you have two years left on your contract isn't logical. It very rarely works, and in the meantime he is getting docked pay, which is ironic since he is losing money when he likely won't get any more money while complaining about not making enough money. It works so rarely I am surprised players still bother, it hurts the team and could strain relations with a team he will be on for at least two more years.

People complain, and someone will probably say it, that its not fair since NFL teams can cut players and pay them nothing so why can't they hold out for more money. Well, the players and owners agreed on the CBA. This is the structure they all agreed upon. Players can up the guaranteed money in their contracts to get around this, and they do, which is their right. But the CBA is what structured the rookie contracts, and if players can (rightfully) want more up front money in case they get cut, owners can (rightfully) expect players to play out their contracts. Especially with two years left on it. So in these cases I do side with greedy owners and not greedy players, they can change it in the next CBA if it really bothers them.

29 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Silly when players do that. I never begrudge a player for getting paid when a Free Agent and I understand the dislike of the franchise tag, but holding out when you have two years left on your contract isn't logical. It very rarely works, and in the meantime he is getting docked pay, which is ironic since he is losing money when he likely won't get any more money while complaining about not making enough money. It works so rarely I am surprised players still bother, it hurts the team and could strain relations with a team he will be on for at least two more years.

People complain, and someone will probably say it, that its not fair since NFL teams can cut players and pay them nothing so why can't they hold out for more money. Well, the players and owners agreed on the CBA. This is the structure they all agreed upon. Players can up the guaranteed money in their contracts to get around this, and they do, which is their right. But the CBA is what structured the rookie contracts, and if players can (rightfully) want more up front money in case they get cut, owners can (rightfully) expect players to play out their contracts. Especially with two years left on it. So in these cases I do side with greedy owners and not greedy players, they can change it in the next CBA if it really bothers them.

He's making $1M this season. He is arguably a top 3 WR and inarguably a top 5 WR. He could get injured week one and never get paid. He literally has to hold out here. He'd be foolish not to.

6 minutes ago, Vincey Greene said:

He's making $1M this season. He is arguably a top 3 WR and inarguably a top 5 WR. He could get injured week one and never get paid. He literally has to hold out here. He'd be foolish not to.

Agree to disagree. If he doesn't get an extension (which he shouldn't), he will make 800K this year and be in the same situation next summer. And other players may 'step up' in his absence, there is a new QB that he really needs to get chemistry with which he won't get sitting at home. He should voice his displeasure before the next CBA is agreed to.

I'd say the same thing if Tyrod was holding out, and he deserves more than two million. That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

Agree to disagree. If he doesn't get an extension (which he shouldn't), he will make 800K this year and be in the same situation next summer.

Whether or not the Texans should pay him is a different discussion (they probably shouldn't, but they're not exactly a free agent destination to begin with and not taking care of Hopkins probably wouldn't help. I'd pay him, but to be fair I'm very close to the situation as he is one of my favorite fantasy players.) I'm merely saying he's wise to try to maximize his earnings as these things are fleeting.

Pay him Rick!!!!

this is absurd. DeAndre more than earned his money, and I'd say he's more than likely to earn every dollar he gets. Sign a long term contract, make him the highest paid WR, then watch that contract turn into a bargain almost instantly. Just like Watt's contract.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly fine with athletes holding out if they're not being paid what they're worth, especially in this sport. Now if someone is making 8 million and wants 20 million, they can fuck off unless it's a star QB or something.

I joined a fantasy football dynasty league and inherited a team. I watch football but I've never done fantasy before so I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. So I thought I'd try here:

1) Most sites list DL's, not DT's. Are Defensive Tackles usually just considered Defensive Lineman in Fantasy football?

2) How important are defenders in the realm of FF?

Here is the team I have:

Eugene Sims LA

George Johnson TB

Zach Zenner DET

Landry Jones PIT

Giovani Bernard CIN

Blake Bortles JAX

Martellus Bennett NE

Paul Posluzny JAX

Manti Te'o SD

Rolando McClain DAL

Justin Hunter TEN

Patrick Chung NE

Rob Ninkovich NE

Ryan Succup TEN

Morgan Burnett GB

Stefon DIggs MIN

I have no idea who most of these people are aside from the obvious like Teo, Landry and Bortles.

I'd appreciate any help here. Thanks

16 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

I don't do fantasy either, but one obvious decision for you would be to get rid of Rolando McClain since he's suspended for 10 games...

Nice call.

Looks like I have him only for this year and I have to pay him if I waive him anyway, so I think I have to keep him.

I only did an individual player defense league once. Only thing I can tell you there is keep an eye open for guys that play key positions on bad teams and don't instantly overlook those guys... being middle linebacker on a really bad team, for example, tends to lead to pretty high tackle numbers since they never have the damn ball.

A lot of the real life top cornerbacks put up disappointing fantasy numbers because teams tend to avoid throwing at them more than required.

I didn't really get the full hang of it. It's an interesting format, but it's tricky.