DVDVR Message Board

Horror Comics

J.T.

My childhood has been restored and my old man's memory has been vindicated.

I hit up a garage sale while at lunch today and an older gentleman was getting rid of some of his grandfather's comic books.  He had an old but well kept stack of horror issues, mostly DC's The Witching Hour.  For years, I have vaguely remembered reading a story in some DC horror comic as a kid about a man eaten by carnivorous butterflies.  I was about to chalk it up to dementia until I ran across this issue at the garage sale.

8837.jpg?-5018367517497925043

And what should be inside but a story entitled "They Shoot Butterflies, Don't They?" by Michael Fleisher (story) and Fred Alcala.(pencils and inks).

Loony lepidopterist hires a burly jungle guide to help him find the rare Heliconius Eyelitus, a butterfly found only in the jungles of Brazil. When the guide discovers a temple filled with wondrous treasure, he offs the butterfly hunter and any natives that get in his way.

Too late, he finds that the temple is guarded by a swarm of the butterflies and they’re carnivorous.

tumblr_m7vovmxdpH1r4pu8bo1_500.png

tumblr_m7vovmxdpH1r4pu8bo2_500.png

It is nice to know I am not crazy.... er.... suffering from early onset Alzheimer's..

I bought the whole stack of horror comics; apologies to the XBone fund. 

My girlfriend will be pissed but what is a man cave without nerd shit?

• Like 2

Michael Fleisher was one seriously deranged mofo*. People think he was over-the-top with his Spectre stuff... That was nothing compared to the weird shit he'd come up with in the straight horror comics.

*Recalling that he sued a buddy of mine for describing him as "bugfuck", let me say that I intended that as a compliment.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been reading a ton of Crossed because for some insane reason my library may have a complete or near complete run of the trades. The fact it stays really good barring a few runs is a real testament to Avatar's nabbing of people for WFH. Ennis' stuff is likely the best followed by probably Gillen, Lapham, and Alan Moore but there's a ton of gems if you can handle the extreme violence.

Nothing touches the experience of reading issue...5 I think? Of the original series in singles.

Ennis spent most of the first half having a lot of tension and creepy shit punctuated by a short burst of late issue violence. But in issue 5 they spend the whole issue thinking everything is going too well. They don't even see any Crossed. And I remember feeling a knife in my gut waiting for the shoe to drop as the last few pages wound down and then...nothing. Ennis has built the thing so damn well that an issue where nothing bad happened was a super tense read. Yet rather than feeling ripped, I remember exhaling with relief. Just so satisfying and unique and something that probably won't work in a collected edition binge read.