DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE TWO - 1st Round (7/20/16)

RIPPA

I really enjoyed Tozawa vs Johnson.  It was a little sloppy but that made it feel more like a fight than the previous matches.  Holy fuck I just used Meltzer logic but what can you do?  Tozawa ducking a clothesline and hitting the fastest German suplex I've ever seen was insane.  I was sad he could only shush the fans instead of the usual "shut the fuck up!"

"The Michael Jackson of Wrestling" is not really a great gimmick, all things considered.  We're lucky we Ventura or Heenean aren't around or someone would have asked if that mean Mack had a few 9 year-olds waiting in the dressing room.  Like others here, I really dug Mack whipping out the Human Tornado dance kicks but wish he'd capped it with the split-kick to the junk.

Watch the guy in the "Paul Heyman Guy" t-shirt at ringside when Ali hits the springboard Spanish Fly.  You can pinpoint the exact moment his brain melts and his soul leaves his body.

I like the inclusion of Tajiri specifically and the inclusion of atypical cruiserweights in general.  What I mean is that cruiserweight style has been narrowly defined as young guys doing highspots.  They're doing well to define it as just a weight class instead, with more styles and older guys like Tajiri.  It's pretty great and I'm really satisfied with the shows so far.

7 hours ago, The Z said:

Does Tajiri really still need a translator or is he just doing a gimmick? The guy lived in the US for at least 5-6 years.

On the Talkin' Shop Jericho podcast, Gallows told a story about Tajiri not knowing English during their first match with each other, and then the next night he walked up and started talking to him in English about what they would do.  I think I've heard that story from a few different people.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Z said:

Does Tajiri really still need a translator or is he just doing a gimmick? The guy lived in the US for at least 5-6 years.

Its a gimmick and probably him generally enjoying fucking with people. Cena mentioned a story about Tajiri and the travel crew they were a part last year on Jericho's podcast that made it kind of obvious. Tozawa doesn't need a translator from what it seems either.

On 7/21/2016 at 0:11 PM, JCM said:

That's 100% bullshit. I went back and watched it just to make sure. Some people try way too hard to get offended.

On 7/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, NickMD said:

I heard one, at most two people booing when he came out.  But the crowd in general was fine.  Maybe he was going to work heel regardless of that for all I know.  But like with anything else, one or two people doesn't make people bad, it's just bad apples.  I would love to see what else Mustafa can do outside of this, seems like the guy can go.

I heard a low choir of boos when his music started. Not like X-Pac heat, but enough to hear even when his music was playing.  And while I don't know if he was supposed to work heel(his heel work seemed spurious and only prevalent in the beginning of the match), it's suspicious that a wrestler with little to no publicity gets a reaction out of anybody for just walking out. The general reaction to CWC performers that are not as well known has been apathy. 

But I could just be overreacting because the Islamophobia in the Orlando exasperated after the Pulse shooting so I am inherently suspicious of sudden booing for a generally unknown wrestler.

Doesn't Lince wrestle local (or at least in the area) too? That could be the obvious reason. Or it could be a couple asshats; case in point, even Bayley got a couple boo-birds.

For me, he was already a heel with the getup; he looked like a eurotrash hipster, being good looking didn't help.

Dug his wrestling gear thou, with a lil tweaking, it would be a keeper; dampen down that B&W contrast, yo (the 1st thing I see is arrows pointing down).

Very cool to see Damian Slater on this stage, he's someone i've seen wrestle in Australia quite a bit over the last decade or so. Would've been nice if he'd had more chance to show his personality, as he usually excels at being the sort of smug dickhead you want to see get punched in the face. In terms of experience, aside from working for the majority of the good promotions here, he has spent some time working and training with Jesse Hernandez in California which for a time was a common stop for Aussie wrestlers headed to the US, plus he spent a bit of time in Zero 1 as Ocean Neal as well.

Overall, i'm still looking forward to every episode, it's cool seeing lesser known talents getting a chance to shine among bigger names. I really liked Mustafa Ali, between this and his recent match with Jonathon Gresham for Freelance Wrestling, i'm really keen to see more of his work.

• 3 weeks later...