DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE TWO - 1st Round (7/20/16)

RIPPA

Tajiri/Slater was solid and a nice showing for Slater. Da Mack/TJP is easily the best match of the first round so far. Never seen either guy, but I went away wanting more of both. Still I felt a bit sorry for Da Mack as he and Perkins seem to have similar gimmicks which just made Perkins outshine him even more since he seemed to be a level or two higher. Lince/Ali was a fun spotfest with both guys going for broke. I would definitely like to see more of Ali as he seems like a potentially decent heel with that promo and his opening attack. Tozawa/Johnson was pretty decent. Johnson definitely has a lot work to be done, but the talent does seem to be there and it actually worked a bit in adding to underdog feel Bryan was pushing on commentary. Tozawa was fun and definitely on a different level. Can't wait to see more of him as its been quite a few years since I watched him in Dragons Gate. This was good show, better than the first one by a decent bit.

• Like 1

That Tajiri can still do a handspring elbow at 45 amazes me. He has no right to have not changed at all since his ecw days. The bastard doesnt age.

TJP has to be signed, he's got "it" whatever "it" is...and Da Mack put on a good showing. He could do well in a tag team.

Is Mustafa Ali the same one who was wrestling for IWA:MS in 2007/2008 or so? Holy fuck that springboard spanish fly.

This episode was way better than last week. You had a two fun spotfests and two Japanese pros working smart matches around green opponents. I wouldn't mind seeing all 8 of these guys again at some point, which is something I definitely did not think at any time last week.

Was TJ one of the guys NXT scooped up? I was never too crazy about him on the indies, but the WWE style seems like it would highlight his best qualities.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Da Mack reminded a lot of Human Tornado, which made me sad that Human Tornado isn't wrestling anymore. 

Human Tornado still wrestles. I watched a video recently where he was wrestling Peter Avalon at some kids birthday party, and he works a bunch of Californian lucha indies, there's loads on youtube.

• Like 1

EVERYONE impressed on this episode. (Yes, even the rough around the edges Johnson.)

Man, Slater comes off as a seasoned vet. How long has he been around?

TJP is like in a different gear; he's not necessarily faster, he's just a hell lot slicker. Yeah, he pretty much makes everything look easy.

Mustafa put everything on the line, he really help elevate Lince. It's great to hear he recovered from the stinger. Glad Zumbi didn't meet weight allowing Ali to compete.

Tozawa/Johnson was a damn stiff and often sloppy match but freakin entertaining. There were definite communication problems but, man, did Tozawa's personality shine through. Tozawa's ready for the main show, hope he gets signed.

"You can build a building on this bridge, it's so architecturally sound!" Never change, D-Bry.

And I'm already regretting watching this tourney... because it will eventually end.

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Cagematch has him debuting in 2003. He really sold that arm like a champ.

And on this tip - I loved, LOVED, that Tajiri targetted EVERYTHING towards the arm

He wasn't just throwing kicks - the kicks were aimed at the arm.

I think I am going to really enjoy old man Tajiri even more and I really enjoyed young man Tajiri

• Like 3

I think the MVP of this week's episode is whoever assisted in laying out Tozawa/Johnson. It was fairly obvious from the start that Johnson is really limited, but Tozawa did a great job working around Johnson's limits and put together a well-done basic match that still showcased Tozawa's strengths and had a flashy finish. Overall. the match felt to me like what it would have felt like if you stuck Akira Tozawa on an episode of 1986 NWA World Championship Wrestling in the Techwood studio and gave him eight minutes to wrestle a local job guy, but told him to make the job guy look good too.

• Like 1

I've seen Kenneth Johnson wrestle live a handful of times, and he's usually a bit more crisp.  I assume nerves played a role in this match.  Still a fun match.

So DB replaced jetlag with slick as his go to phrase this week.  

God Tajiri is so fun.  Outside of his ever growing eye bags he hasn't aged a bit.   

I was amused by the general banter at the beginning done so they could tease current events.

(It also fits with the reports that Bryan was offered the GM position back in May)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

I usually don't shit on Full Sail, but tonight I am. Fuck them for how they did Ali. He was not supposed to be heel, but as soon as they saw the Pakistani flag and the country was mentioned, they started booing him.

That's 100% bullshit. I went back and watched it just to make sure. Some people try way too hard to get offended.

4 hours ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

Human Tornado still wrestles. I watched a video recently where he was wrestling Peter Avalon at some kids birthday party, and he works a bunch of Californian lucha indies, there's loads on youtube.

Good to know. I remember he got injured shortly after he started working ROH, then he announced his retirement shortly after. I should have figured it wouldn't last, like most wrestling retirements. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good to know. I remember he got injured shortly after he started working ROH, then he announced his retirement shortly after. I should have figured it wouldn't last, like most wrestling retirements. 

Ummm... Isn't the rumour he's HIV positive?

1 hour ago, JCM said:

That's 100% bullshit. I went back and watched it just to make sure. Some people try way too hard to get offended.

I heard one, at most two people booing when he came out.  But the crowd in general was fine.  Maybe he was going to work heel regardless of that for all I know.  But like with anything else, one or two people doesn't make people bad, it's just bad apples.  I would love to see what else Mustafa can do outside of this, seems like the guy can go.

That said, it was a damn fine episode.  I was blown away by the moves I saw.  No matter how much of a spotfest the middle two matches were, I still loved them.  And Kenneth Johnson deserves the absolute best, can't help but love the guy considering all he went through.  I'm positive that even the guys who lost will get more attention/money as a result of this.  For guys like Kenneth I'd be over-the-moon to find that's true.

I'm glad people liked Da Mack. I wasn't sure he could leave an impression. I always thought he's pretty solid, but he doesn't do anything too flashy.

By the way, when he was a kid he apparently took part in a German TV show called "Mini Playback Show" where kids do playback versions of popular songs, so he had that Michael Jackson gimmick since he was a pre-schooler. Unfortunately no footage of that seems to exist anymore, at least not on YouTube.

Correct

The taping last week was the 2nd round

They will tape Quarters the same week as the Post-Brooklyn NXT tapings

The Semis and Finals are airing live on Sept 14

Again as a reminder - DON'T GO TO THE CWC WIKI PAGE!!!! It has spoilers for everything taped so far

4 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Ummm... Isn't the rumour he's HIV positive?

I've heard that rumor, but never seen it substantiated anywhere except a couple internet message boards.  The guys who broke the story ran a podcast I'd never heard of.  Never seen it reported anywhere more credible.

Tornado took about nine months off in 2013-14.  He's wrestled 60-80 matches since then, according to Cagematch, including 15 or so this year.  I'm assuming it's just a rumor/