DVDVR Message Board

Is It Chilly In Here? I Feel a DRAFT - Smackdown - 7/19/2016

Dolfan in NYC

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This board will go supernova when they run Nattie vs Eva Marie for the Smackdown Womyn's Title at Mania

The culmination of a four month long feud that co-headlined three Smackdown PPV's because all of the women except for Carmella are injured.

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

Bayley as Becky The Farmer's Daughter but with 60% more Christina Ricci from BLACK SNAKE MOAN?

I'll just give you all some time to process that.

It (not) surprisingly took me only 10 minutes to appreciate that to its fullest.  It's like I was interested, INTERESTED,  VERY INTERESTED ... then I suddenly lost interest.

According to the PWInsider one of the names they re-signed is Curt Hawkins. Why???

When he was last with the company he barely even made it to Main Event and Superstars most of the time.

His stint on the Indies sucked ass. He had one of the worst matches I've ever seen inside a PWG ring and not against anyone, against AJ Styles of all people. This is a headscratcher.

Well, if they need jobbers why not him?  I liked him in that role, just don't have him go much further than that.  I'd rather him be a jobber than somebody that was somebody special back in the day.

Idea for the titles that would never happen - contendership opportunities go back and forth between brands. For example, with the WWE strap, a Smackdown guy is already defending against a Raw guy. Whomever wins, and after a contractually obligated rematch, Smackdown holds a few matches to determine a new number one contender. 

Do this for all titles and you can have belts switching brands AND give wrestlers on each brand a reason to have matches against each other. 

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

6 women gives you 15 possible singles matches that's plenty its just simple maths bro

And 45 possible two-on-two tags, and 10 possible three-on-three tags.  I think.  Of course face/heel alignments are going to affect things in practice.

And then there's handicap matches!

• Like 1

I know people hate rankings but why don't they just do rankings. When Becky has won enough matches to be considered the #1 contender she gets a shot at the PPV. If she wins at the PPV then the belt comes to Smackdown! while she's champion.  Then she can face Nia Jax when Nia is #1 contender and so on..   So it's not really a touring champion but it does give people from the other brand an opportunity.

Adopt the Chikara title shit method: Three straight wins puts you in line for a title shot.  Angles can work themselves out on an individual by individual basis.

Edited by nate
Edit: Meant title "shot" obviously, but title shit makes me smile today.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Cesaro was very frustrated and I think that speaks to a bigger issue. The RAW roster is great on paper but I feel that guys like Cesaro, Zayn, Owens are going to have a very tough time moving up the card. Not much has changed for those individuals.

I think Owens will eventually be elevated. They let him off the leash a bit in terms of how he's allowed to interact with the crowd, interviewers, etc. He gets treated a bit differently. I get the sense that, while he's not protected very well now, he will be as soon as they want to elevate another guy.

Cesaro and Zayn are fucked, though. They needed to be on Smackdown, where their competition is part-time Cena, AJ Styles, and then a bunch of guys who would ostensibly be used as gatekeepers to elevate people in Cesaro or Zayn's position like Orton and Kane. Instead, they're blocked by Rollins, Reigns, Brock, and Bálor, the latter of whom will immediately be pushed above them. 

• Like 1

Instead, they're blocked by Rollins, Reigns, Brock, and Bálor, the latter of whom will immediately be pushed above them. 

Brock is part timer and on what basis do you think Balor will go ahead of Zayn & Cesaro immediately?

Balor will immediately be ahead of those guys. Not a matter of how good he is.  They've had a plan for him for two years.  The Balor Club stuff is happening sooner or later.  

They don't know what they are doing with Zayn or Cesaro.

• Like 2

In Cesaro's case, I'm getting of the mind with him that the best thing WWE can do is not renew his contract when it's up, and he can pop on over to NJPW and let Gedo make him a star and the money he deserves.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

In Cesaro's case, I'm getting of the mind with him that the best thing WWE can do is not renew his contract when it's up, and he can pop on over to NJPW and let Gedo make him a star and the money he deserves.

And now I want a Cesaro Rampage World Tour where he wrecks shop in NJPW and ROH and CMLL as the unrecognized "Best In The World" more than anything.

Not to beleaguer the thread with another TAEK~ but boy did I have unreasonably high hopes for the direction of the product coming out the other side of this thing, and boy was I (in retrospect, predictably) majorly let down.   This is of course without having seen one post-draft show, and there could be all kinds of trades and changes and wrinkles yet to be unveiled ("let's see where it goes"), but for some reason just the initial takeaway of ending up with essentially the same slapdash, staid (and now-diluted) product, bent over backwards for USA, left me with one simple, cold realization: hey dummy, it's still the WWE (Then. Now. Forever.).  Vince is gonna Vince, and you're still going to have to dig through shit to get to want you want.  In a way that's much more cathartic than clinging to as-yet unrealized hopes (the Diva- er, Women's Revolution!  The Yes Movement! The New Era!) and now it's just down to the basic decision if that's a reality I still want to support (financially as well as symbolically) with my $9.99/month.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:
2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

The eventual Kings of Wrestling reunion with Claudio and Hero will be awesome across the indies and Japan. 

I really don't want Cesaro to go.  But if he kicks all kinds of ass around the world for a year or two then that would definitely help his case when coming back.

That said, he's 35 and would be around 37 if he were to go this path.  Would that be worthwhile for him?  It's young but for wrestling it could be getting up there.  And if he's making good money would it really be worth the risk?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I really don't want Cesaro to go.  But if he kicks all kinds of ass around the world for a year or two then that would definitely help his case when coming back.

That said, he's 35 and would be around 37 if he were to go this path.  Would that be worthwhile for him?  It's young but for wrestling it could be getting up there.  And if he's making good money would it really be worth the risk?

Styles was 37 when he went to NJPW.  Worked out pretty well for him.

• Like 2