DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

(crossposted to the Anime thread)

For those on Spotify, they have finally made a TON of older Yoko Kanno soundtracks available. Brain Powered, Escaflowne, and this niche show called COWBOY FUCKING BEBOP you might have heard of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Just found out and was rushing over to post this. Amazing. Spotify does seem to be making some nice inroads into the fortress that is the Japanese music industry. 

And today I found the .hack//SIGN soundtracks that Yuki Kajiura did, with appearances by her bands/alter egos FictionJunction and FJ!Yuuka. Also some random Gundam series singles. And her two not associated with a show or game albums. If Noir or Xensaga show up, I may have a heart attack. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Random: I spent $200 on that Linkin Park 20th anniversary Hybrid Theory super mega deluxe (or whatever they call it) boxset. 5 CDs, 4 CDs, 3 DVDs, and some extra goodies. Fuck off, it's the first band I ever really got into. They'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

Very Random: I know Ethan Kath is a piece of shit, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Crystal Castles (meaning, fronted by Alice Glass). Her solo stuff is good, but it doesn't hit as hard as stuff like Baptism, Crimewave, Not In Love, etc.

Edited by Casey

On 7/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, JLSigman said:

And today I found the .hack//SIGN soundtracks that Yuki Kajiura did, with appearances by her bands/alter egos FictionJunction and FJ!Yuuka. Also some random Gundam series singles. And her two not associated with a show or game albums. If Noir or Xensaga show up, I may have a heart attack. 

Queue one heart attack:

-Xenosaga II movie soundtrack 
- Noir I, Noir II, and a third I don't recognize the cover from 

As well as a collection of live FictionJunction stuff, Pandora Hearts soundtracks, and more. 

This is absolute madness. I don't know if you can get more talent in the same place at the same time. It's like the golden age was drawing to a close and this was a big celebration of it. Beautiful. This is Arsenio's final episode so that makes perfect sense of why I got that vibe.

Edited by Jiji
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Putting this here instead of the metal thread because it needs to be heard by everyone, including you, now. 

I was pleasantly surprised, that's pretty fucking good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

20 years later and he finally cleared that Godzilla sample.

When people talk about all time great rappers, Pharoahe Monch never gets mentioned, but at his best Pharoahe is absolutely in that conversation.

• Like 1

Simon Says was one of the first hip-hop songs I ever heard when I was younger, thanks to The Source Vol. 3 CD. It was pretty different than the other stuff that was on that album, and it really stood out to me.

Shamefully, though, I haven't delved too deep into his discography. I think I listened to Internal Affairs a few years later, and from there I discovered Canibus and got obsessed with him for awhile.

Being that 90% of my workday is going over blueprints for ground up projects, music is the one thing my job allows me where I can blast some tunes in my office without needing headphones or earbuds 

So the playlists I have for my shift tend to go all over the place. Rap, rock, classical, 90s rap, viking metal, video game soundtracks, etc. Various covers of songs in different styles like gregorian chant covers, 8 bit covers, cumbia covers, instrumentals etc

So I recently found my newest music addiction, bardcore covers of songs. There's a nirvana medieval cover song that's sung in Latin I think? Fucking love this shit!❤

My previous music "discovery" was these cover songs done Animal Crossing style. So picture Old Town Road or Africa, but done like they came out on an Animal  Crossing soundtrack!?

I just want to express my gratitude for creative artists who go on YouTube and share their own cover songs in various styles from "tavernwave" to "synthwave" etc. That's all. Thank you for making my day at work go faster and making it more fun

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 3