Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Got vinyl copies of Highway to Hell, Straight Outta Compton, and Purple Rain for Xmas. This will probably be the first time I've heard Purple Rain in full besides watching the movie itself. Once I tried to find it on Soulseek and you cannot find ANYTHING from Prince on there. That man really did hate being bootlegged as much as he hated the record companies. 

I have Purple Rain on CD and there's a damn good reason why people still hold it in high regard.  Heck, I was checking it out the other day.  As for vinyl records I got a copy of Back in Black for Christmas and one of Queen's albums for my birthday (name escape me for some reason but it has "We will rock you" on it)

I never thought I'd be into vinyl records but ever since getting the player I've been going crazy with it.  What helps is my mom still has her stash from over the years and let me go nuts with which whatever ones I care to check out.  There's just something really cool about playing the same records that she got when she was younger.  And the fact that she has a couple Bob Dylan records along with Neil Young and Springsteen was surprisingly awesome.

As for the first record I bought?  That would be WWF The Wrestling Album because of course it is.  Now my wife wants in on getting some records so when all is said and done we're going need at least a couple storage bins to hold everything.  But we wouldn't have it any other way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually not a huge vinyl guy until recent years too. After I had CDs, CDRs, or tapes of pretty much anything I ever wanted I started to get into it. The art is nice and to have something on hand in an excellent sounding format right in the room with me instead of digging through boxes or spindles is nice. If I need something immediately on disc there's always Soulseek. Discogs has been a real boon as well and they haven't been around long either. 

The only problem is storage. I'm sitting here looking at three sets of shelving, two crates of records and three shoeboxes of 7"s; the next move is gonna be a bitch. It's not like everything else where I just tossed them in plastic storage boxes with lids and threw them in the garage, the attic or the back room. You just can't do that with wax. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt obligatory.  As Network and Foxboro Hot Tubs are my favorite Green Day records I keep hoping they'll do another project like that where they adopt a new genre and personae.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Got vinyl copies of Highway to Hell, Straight Outta Compton, and Purple Rain for Xmas. This will probably be the first time I've heard Purple Rain in full besides watching the movie itself. Once I tried to find it on Soulseek and you cannot find ANYTHING from Prince on there. That man really did hate being bootlegged as much as he hated the record companies. 

For my money there is not a better transition in a song than "Do you want him, or do you want me?" from "The Beautiful Ones."  He goes from feeling down about how this beautiful woman is giving him the run around, and then turns on a dime to stop feeling sorry for himself and demanding her to either love him or leave him alone.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spotify algo introduced me to The Dear Hunter via "King of Swords (Reversed)".  On exploring a little, I'm a little disappointed that fans call this the 'least Dear Hunter song ever' because it's funky and wild and a little sinister while still being joyous (as befits the card it's named for) and being kind of excited at the idea of diving into a 6-album story cycle that isn't yet complete,  even if his usual output is less up my alley than this one unrepresentative album cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I tell my wife that I just don't dig Billie Eilish like she does? I mean, I'm happy that a girl like her is out there doing what she's doing. From all accounts, she is a decent human and a good role model for a lot of girls. She is obviously very talented and has a great voice, when she uses it. And it's not that her songs are bad, they're just not my bag. But my wife is absolutely in love with her and keeps telling me new information and sending me links to her performances that I "just have to check out" and she waits for my opinions her her and I know she really wants me to be on the same page with her about this girl, but I'm just not there with her on this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a very awesome tweet.

So along with getting back into vinyl records it turns out a month after moving there's a brewery that's not even a half mile from us.  Their name is Double Groove Brewery and along with having beer names inspired by songs they have a record player along with a thousand records patrons can choose from to play.  The beers are pretty good and my wife and I could just sit there for hours drinking and listening to music.  One unintended side effect is that it prompts me to look up records I didn't know I wanted in my collection.  Good news is there's a record store a mile away from us.  Bad news is the ones I want tend to sell out as soon as they get them.  May have to make a trip to Baltimore to find some good used stuff to get.  But if given the choice between getting new wrestling figures or records I think at this point records will be my pick for the time being.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If you start looking up stuff and ordering from Discogs you're in trouble haha

Shit, I just bookmarked it. Yeah, I'm in trouble.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://radiohead.com/library#ir

Not sure how many Radiohead fans there are here, but they've made the Radiohead Public Library, which is basically an archive of everything they've ever done (their catalog, music videos, TV appearances, B-sides, rarities, and playlists curated by the members of the band).

I'm only posting this because the best live show in existence, Radiohead at Bonnaroo 2006, is finally in proshot/soundboard quality. And their 2012 performance is on there too, which I was at, so I'll be revisiting/downloading that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, MonteCarl said:

How do I tell my wife that I just don't dig Billie Eilish like she does? I mean, I'm happy that a girl like her is out there doing what she's doing. From all accounts, she is a decent human and a good role model for a lot of girls. She is obviously very talented and has a great voice, when she uses it. And it's not that her songs are bad, they're just not my bag. But my wife is absolutely in love with her and keeps telling me new information and sending me links to her performances that I "just have to check out" and she waits for my opinions her her and I know she really wants me to be on the same page with her about this girl, but I'm just not there with her on this. 

My sister is the same way and I feel similar to you. I dig about half of her newest album but a lot of it is too slow and samey sounding for me. Her live performances are just kinda there from what I've seen, with the exception of "All The Good Girls Go To Hell" from some awards show last year. I like that she's a cool role model for girls but...yeah, not my bag. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 12:46 PM, supremebve said:

For my money there is not a better transition in a song than "Do you want him, or do you want me?" from "The Beautiful Ones."  He goes from feeling down about how this beautiful woman is giving him the run around, and then turns on a dime to stop feeling sorry for himself and demanding her to either love him or leave him alone.  

This guy gets it. Best performance in a movie full of great musical performances. I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Gil Mantera's Party Dream

I'm obviously like months behind on this thread, but I wanted to shout out for the GMPD mention. I was introduced to them by my love of Pittsburgh rap cats Grand Buffet. I have one of their albums and am always looking to pick up the rest of them. You can get Bloodsongs for pretty cheap, but I have legit never seen their first one available anywhere, and their second record has two copies on Discogs right now, one is $65, and the other is $130, so fuck that noise.

Always cool to see I'm not the only person in the world to know of something that I think is so goddamn nifty.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I'm obviously like months behind on this thread, but I wanted to shout out for the GMPD mention. I was introduced to them by my love of Pittsburgh rap cats Grand Buffet. I have one of their albums and am always looking to pick up the rest of them. You can get Bloodsongs for pretty cheap, but I have legit never seen their first one available anywhere, and their second record has two copies on Discogs right now, one is $65, and the other is $130, so fuck that noise.

Always cool to see I'm not the only person in the world to know of something that I think is so goddamn nifty.

I saw Grand Buffet many times. They seemed to hit Bowling Green/Toledo a lot, often with GMPD. I own "Once Triangular," "Bloodsongs" and have quite a few live dvds that I shot at Howard's in BG. I bought "Best Friends" once and lost it. It wasn't so great so not a big loss but still burns. I honestly really like their last album, "Dreamscape" a lot and hoped it would draw new fans. I push "Bloodsongs" on every one I meet who likes synth pop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There really is nowhere else to put this so...

Dixie Chicks - Gaslighter

1st new Dixie Chicks music in 14 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn, did the political backlash against them really damage them that bad or are there other reasons? 

It was like 95% being blacklisted and 5% to raise families

Here is a story from Sept of last year when they had a small part of a Taylor Swift song and people were STILL bitching to country music stations

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evjvqe/sixteen-years-later-country-radio-is-still-mad-at-the-dixie-chicks-taylor-swift-soon-youll-get-better

Quote

At Houston's KKBQ, Johnny Chiang, Director of Operations for Cox Media Group Houston, found that listeners never complained about the actual song; rather, they only complained about the Dixie Chicks' inclusion. He explains, “After just four plays of the song, we had several complaints from listeners. They weren’t complaining about the song — they were complaining about the Dixie Chicks. You can’t even tell [they’re on the song]. The backing vocals are so benign you can barely hear them.” Sixteen years later, it seems like the Dixie Chicks still can't shake this grudge.

As for other reasons - well the most common (and correct opinion) is that it was because they were women. Several country artists have stated that if a man had said what they did, it would have blown over quickly (if even becoming a big deal in the first place). But considering the history of female country artists getting played on the radio... yeah...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...