DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Kendrick is boring as hell and is still insisting on screwing a lot of his best work by sticking some bullshit skit nobody wants to hear in the middle of it. Also for a guy who is supposedly a political symbol now, a whole bunch of his songs are basically 21st century Jim Morrison (another rebel symbol who was basically doing songs about himself, though at least Kendrick writes less about his dick).

I have yet to hear a bad Run The Jewels track.

• Like 1

RTJ2 wasn't as good as the first (or the third), but clearly Meow the Jewels is the best thing either of them have ever done.

Also, I'm on board with the idea of best active rapper being Earl Sweatshirt. I know Odd Future isn't a thing anymore, but he's easily the best thing to ever come out of it.

Seeing Kid Rock here at Pru tomorrow for $15 via StubHub because I need to relive the 90's when I was 21 and happy. TicketScammer was offering $20 tickets that were actually $37 with all the fucking fees. I plan on running for president with my only plank being that I will throw the vile scum who run that company in prison the minute I take office. I expect to win with at least 97% of the vote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I saw Kid Rock almost twenty years ago, and he puts on one fucking hell of a great show.

That's the main reason I'm going. Saw clips of it and thought "Shit, that looks awesome!". Also of course the 90's nostolgia.

I saw Kid Rock as part of the Summer Sanitarium tour and he had one helluva show, and I heard it's gotten better.  Have a good time, but if you don't know already he's running for office and will talk about that a fair bit.  So if his views aren't to your liking then be prepared for that.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw Kid Rock as part of the Summer Sanitarium tour and he had one helluva show, and I heard it's gotten better.  Have a good time, but if you don't know already he's running for office and will talk about that a fair bit.  So if his views aren't to your liking then be prepared for that.

As someone who is libertarian with conservative leanings I probably would agree with a lot of what he says but frankly I don't want to hear it. I paid to see a concert, not get a political lecture. If I wanted to hear political talk I would go to a Ron Paul speaking engagement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, in that case @sabremike has nothing to worry about.  Have fun!

He did a speech attacking people on public assistance who refuse to work and deadbeat dads who don't support their families to lead into "You've Never Met a Motherfucker Like Me". Show itself was actually real good, well worth $15. I'd describe it as a cross between Motley Crue, Eminem and Lynyrd Skynerd. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing he's done away with the pole dancers who were part of his show when my roommate saw him in 2000.

We saw Flogging Molly last night and it was killer.  I'd never have agreed to go had I stopped to think when tix went on sale and realized it's day one of the Invasion. A friend flipped his $35 tickets for $150 each and if it were just me and not an Xmas gift for the GF, i would have done that in a heartbeat.  Still glad i wrnt (and that we took the upgrade to "VIP balcony but no VIP amenities" when they saw my cane and offered it, because Jesus it was a tight squeeze in the amphitheater.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm guessing he's done away with the pole dancers who were part of his show when my roommate saw him in 2000.

Nope, he had the pole dancers which is one of the things that reminded me of a Motley show.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

We saw Flogging Molly last night and it was killer.  I'd never have agreed to go had I stopped to think when tix went on sale and realized it's day one of the Invasion. A friend flipped his $35 tickets for $150 each and if it were just me and not an Xmas gift for the GF, i would have done that in a heartbeat.  Still glad i wrnt (and that we took the upgrade to "VIP balcony but no VIP amenities" when they saw my cane and offered it, because Jesus it was a tight squeeze in the amphitheater.

The last time I saw Flogging Molly, it killed my desire to ever be in GA on the floor again. We packed in so tight during ballads that my feet weren't touching the ground. It was safer during Andrew WK beforehand.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

an album came out yesterday that I could see myself speaking of in the most effusive terms I could ever use, but a lot of the things I want to say about it are things I will have to wait and see if they come true. In the mean time, PLEASE listen to the new album from US Girls, called "In A Poem Unlimited." Here is the first track.

I love this album. “Mad As Hell” is my favorite track, it has an awesome video too. “Rage of Plastics” is great too, quality sax.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait, STP have a new singer, an album next week and are going on tour?!?

That's pretty much as bad as that fake bullshit "Dead Kennedys" reunion without Jello (and yes, I'm very aware Jello would never do a reunion tour on principle alone. Whatever, it was still bullshit).

7 hours ago, Ace said:

Yep. They've released two singles already with the new singer.

That honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm presuming they got the singer from a STP tribute band because he sounds almost exactly like Scott. Still not really STP but if someone offered me a cheap ticket I'd probably go.

I'm just impressed by the courage of stepping into a role where both previous men died tragically young.

I don't have any problem with bands getting new singers (Ronnie James Dio is my favorite singer after all) I just had no idea until I saw them listed for Rock on the Range.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

That honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm presuming they got the singer from a STP tribute band because he sounds almost exactly like Scott. Still not really STP but if someone offered me a cheap ticket I'd probably go.

X-Factor, actually. 

• Like 1