DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

From a jam band perspective, I'm not super into Phish as I am into the few others I listen to here lately, but I am completely fascinated by this Baker's Dozen run they just finished.

13 shows with no repeat performances is pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Lee Aaron in the RAW thread. I have never heard of her, so I checked out a few of her videos. As a hairband loving teen in the late 80's, I would have been all over this. She kind of reminds me of the drummer from Vixen. 

I mean, she's no Fiona, but. . .

• 2 weeks later...

So Colin Stetson on twitter puts out there the other day this article about how to sing two notes at the same time, and then a retweet sent me down a weird youtube rabbit hole.

I have zero memory of this guy being on Letterman at all but that's gotta be one of the most out of the box musical acts ever on late night TV, right?

My wife before the summer said we had to at least go to one concert this summer. She has only been to a couple and I have been to a handful. She got super lucky at the beginning of August and scored us tickets to see Korn, Stone Sour, Skillet, yelawolf, and Ded. She is not into rock and metal but bought them for me. It was actually a kick ass concert and my wife came out of it a big Stone Sour fan (she already knew Korn.) 

Then a couple weeks later my cousin bought us tickets to see Green Day. That show was a blast. They played what seemed like forever. Looked it up on Setlist.fm and in total they played 26 songs. This happened during the show 

Overall it was a really kick ass way to end the summer and it was thanks to my wife and cousin.

• Like 1

GOOD WIFE!

My gf is unpredictable taste-wise. She got into club stuff when she was at university and remains so, mainly dark techno and house. Fine. She is just completely unaware of p much anything guitar based aside from the heavyweight hitters of the last 15 years, so like Coldplay (she doesn't like them but is aware of them). So I'll play stuff on shuffle and she'll be like "this is good, who is this?" or "this is shit can you turn it off?" with what seems like no rhyme or reason - two bands that sound similar in my head will get wildly differing responses. Anyway, this came on shuffle and I started to dart to turn it off and she burst out laughing and then said it was the best thing she'd heard in years and then went and bought it.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:04 AM, PetrolCB said:

This is awesome... 

Vinyl Ambush played a private event last night and it wasn't long before the Peel Police showed up. We thought the show was over but much to everyone's delight, they joined in for an incredible jam session. They were so impressed by the band instead of putting a stop to the show they wanted to join in then offered the band words of wisdom. Talk about community outreach. Many thanks to Peel Region Police for making it such a fun and memorable night for the Band and everyone there. You guys ROCK!

I have spent all of my life living in Peel Region.  Why are all the cops I have ever dealt with been dochenozzles instead of these guys

*douche chills* Admit it, one of you went to this.

Artist: ‘Make America Rock Again!‘: Scott Stapp, Sick Puppies, Drowning Pool, Trapt, etc.
Venue: Huntington, NY – The Paramount
Date: Aug. 31st, 2017
Gross Sales: $24,693
Attendance/Capacity: 980 / 1,573
Ticket Prices: $76, $46, $36, $21

My favorite jazz thing of the last decade has been BADBADNOTGOOD's Confessions pieces, and today they published Confessions Pt. III. Here's the whole series.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

For those unfamiliar, BBNG is a young Canadian jazz troupe that draws heavy from hip-hop beatmaking in their own sound. They've worked with a lot of great rappers (their album with Ghostface Killah is fucking beautiful) and put together some impressive solo records of their own, but the Confessions songs have been like next level for them. They just keep escalating and shifting, especially thanks to the addition of Colin Stetson on Parts 2 and 3.

also if i was a wrassler i would be using part 2 as my theme

On 9/14/2017 at 9:05 PM, Death From Above said:

I only heard one of their albums but I really, really like this:

I always forget this is a Feist song, because I'm a James Blake stan and I love his cover of it.

I went to Riot Fest this weekend w/ my brother and our two closest friends from high school and a bunch of respective spouses. I've never been to a multi-day festival before. It was a blast but being nearly 40 and sleeping on couches does a number on one's back. 

I saw a bunch of awesome stuff:

I changed flight plans so I could make it out on time to see New Order, who are one of my Top 5 favorite bands (and on some days my favorite). They predictably brought the house down. They ended with BLUE MONDAY (which I recently said what the best single ever recorded), Temptation (maybe my favorite New Order song) and Love Will Tear Us Apart. It was amazing seeing that live. Even better was seeing Bernard scold Peter Hook on stage and then push aside Gillian to play keyboard/sequencer/whatever on Blue Monday. She was NOT happy. Friday headliner was Nine Inch Nails -- we left halfway through as we are not NIN fans. They were actually pretty good and a NIN fan would have had their minds blown. Not my scene, tho.

Saturday was more of a "let's dick around Chicago" day. We saw the Mike D. of the Beastie Boys DJ set (pretty fun) and the Wu Tang Clan (REALLY fun) and bounced before Queens of the Stone Age since none of us even really know anything about them.

Sunday was THE BEST. We showed up in time to see that dog.'s reunion. All time great forgotten band. I also managed to see Built To Spill do You're Living All Over Me (technically proficient, great album, sorta whatever live) and Dinosaur Jr. (same) and GWAR (predictably hilarious but I had to bounce because they were on the side stage and it was too packed) and MIA (she was all-over-the place).

Then I had to endure some Prophets of Rage. They may be my least favorite band of all-time. I hate Tom Morello so much with his dumb Guitar Center nonsense (which included a double necked guitar at one point). It is hilarious to try and consider B-Real as this arch-leftist activist type, too. Chuck D. should be ashamed of himself for tying himself to this lot. At one point, they said "This is one of the most dangerous songs ever recorded" and it was Killing In The Name Of. Oh boy. I think on top of his lame as Vinnie Vincent Invastion parody act, Tom Morello is an absolute phony looking to make a lot of money by playing revolutionary. It's sorta ridiculous to claim yourself as this anti-corporate act and then go out on a big Live Nation tour the next second. 

But the reason I had to suffer through that nonsense was because JAWBREAKER reunited. If you don't know who Jawbreaker is, I'm sorry. You need to learn immediately. They're the best punk band of the 90s, who managed to combine the energy of punk music with beautifully poetic and heartbreaking lyrics. They're often described as the best "emo" act but emo has so many negative connotations. And, also, Jawbreaker transcends all of that. They're not just the best punk band of the 90s but probably the best band of the 90s. They broke up after their fourth album came out, as a lot of the Gilman Street types turned on them for releasing a major album, which failed to catch on in the mainstream. The pressures imploded the band, which legendarily ended in a fist-fight in the back of a van. This was their first show in over 20 years (save for a few warm-ups the past few weeks) and it did not disappoint. They tore the place down. Well worth the trip and the question if my co-pay covers a chiropractor. 

I know we've gone over this like 4 or 5 times but I have played around in music for almost my entire life and I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that Colin Stetson makes all these sounds come out of a single instrument. I can't even think of a comparable for the guy in, like, the entire recorded history of music. He's something completely unique, like an alien from another world.