Randy

Random music thoughts

1,463 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Pretty much every "name" band that's still performing from before the turn of the century seems to charge an arm and a leg - presumably because the older crowd now has disposable income and will spend the money for the nostalgia trip alone.

...except BOC, who will play your county fair for $3 a pop. 

How I think of older bands who still tour (good for them, but, you know...)... 

Chester Bennington (Linkin Park frontman) was apparently discovered dead just a couple hours ago from hanging.

The lyrics on Hybrid Theory are absolutely haunting now. So sad. LP is very divisive, but they are a band that meant so much to late teens-early 20's me.

Damn, terrible news. Always enjoyed Linkin Park, especially those first two albums with hit after hit and still lots of good ones in recent years. RIP

Yeah, this is the first time a singer from my "childhood" (more like preteen to late teens) has passed away and it's really.... I don't know. Weird? I don't think that's the right word, but I grew up with the music of Linkin Park - they're basically the first band I became obsessed with - and it's just so damn heartbreaking. I know he was abused by a male in his family when he was younger so I'm sure that pretty much damaged him from the get-go.

Fucking tragic. RIP Chester, I'll be bumping Meteora today (IMO their best album).

1 person likes this

Damn, I didn't know about Chester until just now.  I loved their early stuff and the hits especially were in heavy rotation back then.  Heck there's still a couple I'd play at the gym.  Without knowing how truly bad things are/were he definitely seemed like a guy who's had a fucked up life.  But damn, that voice and the songs really resonated with myself an many others.  The sad thing is that leading up to it he seemed pretty optimistic about the new album so this seems relatively sudden to some.  But that really sucks, RIP Chester.

Maybe I'm reaching on this, but I'm speaking from a place of my own depression. But I wonder if the poor fan reception to the new album triggered something. Like, I know that seems trivial, but something I deal with daily is thinking that the people I love don't like me, and it sits in my mind for days. I feel like something like that may have happened. Linkin Park always cared a ton about their fans, so imagine getting that kind of reaction from people you care that much about.

Also,lots of people checked out on LP after the first 2-3 albums, but seriously, everything up until the last two were good-very good.

I'm pretty sure The Hunting Party kind of divided their fanbase as well.

1 person likes this

I was never a fan of Linkin Park, but the EP he did with STP was pretty good and it's terrible he's dead. 

Have they said much more, I'm just going to assume this is linked to substance abuse resurfacing again until I'm told otherwise. Never liked them, but you never want this for anyone or their family, friends and fanbase.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:41 AM, Ryan said:

Have they said much more, I'm just going to assume this is linked to substance abuse resurfacing again until I'm told otherwise. Never liked them, but you never want this for anyone or their family, friends and fanbase.

I sadly wouldn't be surprised if that happened, but didn't this happen on what would have been Cornell's birthday?  If so I could see that being the main reason why things went south for him.  I'm also wondering if a day like that was coming up why there wasn't anybody around to be there for him.  It seems like one of those days where you'd need a friend or family member to be around for support, especially since him and Chris were so close.