DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I first heard Vertical Horizon back in 1999, along with just everybody else, when their "Everything You Want" became a major hit.  They've been one of my two or three favorite bands ever since.  Over and over and over I've fruitlessly checked their tour dates to see when they'd be anywhere even remotely close to me.  No dice.

Until tonight.  Thursday night I was on Facebook and VH posted that they were excited for their new tour, starting that night.  On a whim, knowing I'd yet again be disappointed, I checked the tour dates. Much to my surprise, they were indeed coming to Spokane.  2 days later.  I quickly bought a ticket, snagging a good seat since I was flying solo.

18 years.  I've been waiting 18 years.  And it was awesome.  I am soooooo glad I checked the tour dates!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome... 

Vinyl Ambush played a private event last night and it wasn't long before the Peel Police showed up. We thought the show was over but much to everyone's delight, they joined in for an incredible jam session. They were so impressed by the band instead of putting a stop to the show they wanted to join in then offered the band words of wisdom. Talk about community outreach. Many thanks to Peel Region Police for making it such a fun and memorable night for the Band and everyone there. You guys ROCK!

Hey hey! Remember a couple months back when I got the wrong order -- TWICE -- from Amazon? They want their records back, or else they're billing me, even though they don't know what the records are! I'm tempted to print out the shipping labels and send them some Conway Twitty.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BL88 said:

If you click here, you can listen to and maybe even pay for my new album. It's called Hard J. I've been working on it for two and a half years, and being honest, I think it's pretty good.

FUN FACT: My avatar is part of the album cover.

Just listened to it while browsing this forum.

Probably my favorite of yours to date.

If I can scratch up some cake later, I'll pick it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

New Foos dropped yesterday.

That's a mandatory pick-up. I do love me some Foo Fighters.

• Like 1

I jammed this in the ride like five times yesterday. Three of the chords he plays in the bullfighter verse at the end (4:41-4:45) sound like his amp is literally exploding. It's maybe the nastiest sound Young's ever made with an electric guitar, and that covers a LOT of ground*. If you play it at top volume on a powerful stereo it sounds like a plane crash. Also gotta love how it just comes out of nowhere in an otherwise very calm song and just bushwhacks you. 

He also does a deranged cover of "On Broadway" on this EP where he changes the lyrics, glops it up to Blue Cheer proportions, and yells something like "I WANT SOME OF THAT CRACK! GIMME THAT CRACK! I WANT THAT CRACK! YAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" haha

* And yes, I have heard Arc before

It was also a Japanese-only import, IIRC. I'm tempted to go dig up my copy of Freedom now since I haven't heard it in years and would like to compare track versions. 

Incidentally I found a brand spankin' new version of On the Beach last week on vinyl. They apparently even repressed Time Slips Away! 

Got a ticket to see Iron Maiden tomorrow at Prudential Center for $15 via SeatGeek. Thank God for all the suckers who MUST see a basketball game where we all know the end result in advance.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hope you enjoy The Book of Souls. Either way, it's Maiden, why not? The Somewhere Back In Time tour show was so incredible. 

I would love to catch a Book of Souls show. When I saw them a few years ago they were doing the retro set. Shit, I just wish they'd bring back Ghost of the Navigator.

"Purgatory" is my live Maiden dream song. Can you imagine what they would do with three guitars on those harmonies? Also "Phantom of the Opera" because they didn't play it when I saw em

Here's a jacked-up version with Bruce live

Also, full disclosure: I still haven't heard The Book of Souls. Maiden albums (hell, songs) have gotten intimidating for me in their length and I passed it by, which I think I'll rectify tonight. 

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I would love to catch a Book of Souls show. When I saw them a few years ago they were doing the retro set. Shit, I just wish they'd bring back Ghost of the Navigator.

It was quite awesome. Book of Souls is really a great album, my fave off it is "The Red and the Black". I checked for you and sadly the only Canadian dates are in Toronto and Quebec City. In mid July they are doing two shows at Barclays Center that I want to go to. The opening act was Ghost and they were freaking incredible, one of the best opening acts I have ever seen. They were worth the $35 I spent on the ticket and train fare alone. Add in Maiden and that show was the best value of any show or event I've ever been to.

• Like 1

People on the HF Devils board are trying to tell me the secondary market prices cratered because "Iron Maiden aren't a draw anymore". Let the sheer waves of their stupidity and cluelessness wash over you.

No thanks on that end. I went ahead and have got CDRs of The Book of Souls so I'll let you know when I get around to them. In the meantime there's this (which is very much not Maiden) 

The Dogs and Kraut songs are time-capsule worthy and I can't believe I never got into this stuff before now. In particular the Dogs' song sounds like the best song that the Stooges never recorded.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

People on the HF Devils board are trying to tell me the secondary market prices cratered because "Iron Maiden aren't a draw anymore". Let the sheer waves of their stupidity and cluelessness wash over you.

They sure tour in big arenas a lot for not being a draw...

Dead and Company last night in Boulder was fucking amazing. I spent the show with my roommate's brother in law, who's an old head like me. His wife has been fighting breast cancer for the last two years and he's been there for her like a rock. He got a night with me to kick back, and enjoy himself and the scene/ music we love.