DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Posted Image

I think Jawbreaker might be the best band of the 90s. I liked them a lot when I was of the age but it didn't hit me until I was an adult just how amazing a band they are. They're super tight and Blake's one of the best, most talented lyricists and vocalists who has ever lived. I just got into vinyl again and picked this up -- it's such a great vinyl album. It's so intimate and the record scratch and personal investment it takes to put on a record and actually have to flip it clicks a lot. I love this so much.

The one current band that stands out like this are The Menzingers. Those guys are cut of the same cloth.

• Like 2

Got a question:

Typical etiquette states that you don't wear a band's shirt to their concerts. But what about wearing one to their tribute band's show, hm?

Is it a lesser known shirt? You want to convey your love of the band but you gotta think that people will turn their nose up at anything too obvious. 

I think you'll look beautiful, no matter what you're wearing.

• Like 1

Is it a lesser known shirt? You want to convey your love of the band but you gotta think that people will turn their nose up at anything too obvious. 

Debatable. It's a re-do of their Japanese tour shirt.

Posted Image

I think you'll look beautiful, no matter what you're wearing.

Posted Image

RateYourMusic seriously needs a feature to block ever having to see certain people's reviews for as long as I live if they actually want me to consider contributing money to their site.

Seriously, johnnykungfu is like everything wrong with the internet. Dude reviews every fucking record ever made with words that he doesn't know what they mean.

I just got the new Taxpayers album sent to me. I have not really been all that in to their old stuff, but this album is just incredible. It's like Defiance, OH got locked in a creepy basement with nothing but Tom Waits records and Replacements cassette tapes.

Reported via  AP on Jay-Z's "Made in America" festival

The band's 90-minute set featured hard rock anthems, songs with techno influences as well as groovy and eerie jams. NIN closed the night with a slow and smoky cover of Johnny Cash's "Hurt," which earned nonstop cheers from the crowd. Reznor was soft as he sang the song's verses — making it the set's highlight.
  • Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23956750

Dance record label Ministry of Sound is suing music streaming service Spotify, claiming Spotify playlists copy its compilation albums.

Ministry of Sound regularly releases collections of dance hits.

The compilations are not on Spotify, but the label says Spotify infringes copyright because some users' playlists mirror the albums' track listings.

Ministry of Sound said "a lot of research goes into" creating the compilations. Spotify did not comment.

"What we do is a lot more than putting playlists together," Ministry of Sound chief executive Lohan Presencer told The Guardian.

"A lot of research goes into creating our compilation albums, and the intellectual property involved in that. It's not appropriate for someone to just cut and paste them."

I grew up in North Jersey going to all the local punk shows -- Weston, Lifetime, Chisel, a bunch of awful hardcore bands. It was requisite that I had all of the early Bouncing Souls album, buts. I fell off those guys in a huge way and their stuff did not hold up at all. Their lead singer's really drowned out in the early records (and there's a little reverb, it sounds like) and the music's so loud. So his stuff is really shouty and they try to have these sing-a-long choruses. I don't mind stuff being emotionally immature at all (teenagers are that, after all, and that's who these songs are written for) but it's just off.

But then one of my friends who has great music taste was pushing their Gold Sounds album that came out a few years ago. I checked it out and, uhm, it's ridiculously good. They obviously listened to a ton of Kinks and Bruce (and probably contemporaries like Gaslight Anthem and Thursday) and made an album that really nailed what they've been trying to do all these years -- write anthems that capture a time and a place. The music's a lot tighter and in the background, letting the lead guy sing (not that he's Freddie Mercury, but he's got a good pop-punk voice) and focusing on a lot of melodies. This album just friggin' rules it, and I can't believe I'm saying that.

Got a question:

Typical etiquette states that you don't wear a band's shirt to their concerts.

Seriously? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's stupid as soon as anyone is actually pathetic enough to call you out on breaching some sort of unwritten rule by doing it, but it makes sense to a point. Everyone knows you probably like the band you've paid money to see, so it's a bit redundant to advertise the fact by wearing their shirt too, whereas wearing another band's shirt is a chance to advertise a lesser known band you like, demonstrate your good taste, or be perverse. There's something to be said for wearing a Muse shirt to a death metal gig, or going to see Ellie Goulding while clad in some disgusting Pig Destroyer T, even if that something is 'Piss off, no one thinks you're clever or is impressed by your eclectic tastes. Twat.'

I'd say wearing a band's shirt to their own shows gets more acceptable the older the band are though, as the more of a history they build up, the wider the range of albums/line-ups/eras there is to be represented on a shirt, and the more scope there is to not be wearing the same 2013 tour shirt of a band who formed in 2012 as hundreds of other people. Most of my wardrobe is band shirts though, so I have overthought this.

I think Jawbreaker might be the best band of the 90s. I liked them a lot when I was of the age but it didn't hit me until I was an adult just how amazing a band they are. They're super tight and Blake's one of the best, most talented lyricists and vocalists who has ever lived. I just got into vinyl again and picked this up -- it's such a great vinyl album. It's so intimate and the record scratch and personal investment it takes to put on a record and actually have to flip it clicks a lot. I love this so much.

The one current band that stands out like this are The Menzingers. Those guys are cut of the same cloth.

I'm listening to "Bivouac" right now on Spotify (I know, I know) on your recommendation, and it's pretty decent - something about the vocals and the delivery reminds me of a punked-up Replacements (laughed when I read a music writer made the same comparison in the band's Wikipedia page). The drummer is really good. Dunno that I'd call them the best band of the 90s, but they're definitely a pleasant discovery.

• Like 1