DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Christopher Cross tested positive for Covid-19 in early April.  It ended up triggering a rare side effect called GBS that's left him partially paralyzed.

This wonderful work of art came in the mail today... minus a full LP, but I got a refund and kept the rest, so hey. This is the guy from the 13th Floor Elevators mentioned in the other thread. Madness and genius aren't too often seen as visibly and as close together as in music; this is a perfect example.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This wonderful work of art came in the mail today... minus a full LP, but I got a refund and kept the rest, so hey. This is the guy from the 13th Floor Elevators mentioned in the other thread. Madness and genius aren't too often seen as visibly and as close together as in music; this is a perfect example.

What a great album. 

• Like 1

Music ramble:

- Jill Scott and Eryka Badu spent around 3 hours on instagram live playing each other songs and talking. It was a joy to watch and I highly recommend it if you are a fan. Watch with a glass of wine or tea. Spent last night watching a good deal of it with my wife and she knew all the songs. Embedding issues with the link so I couldn’t post it. 

- The day Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters came out I listened to it five times and haven’t touched it since. Super fan of her voice and that release was pretty powerful for me. Gonna give it time before a relisten.

- Yesterday I got recommended Bill Fay - Time of the Last Persecution. Upon first listen I’m putting it among my favorite albums. 

- While being back at work I’m pretty much designated to the basement warehouse by myself and I’ve been reorganizing and cleaning it up. First time I had a chance to actually spend good quality time doing that in five years without being pulled away for a sale. I found listening to Willie Nelson and Thelonious Monk to be good working music. Willie Nelson’s Red Headed Stranger and Yesterday’s Wine, and Thelonious Monk’s Underground and Munk’s Dream has been the usual plays. Different genres but in different ways keeps me humming and working.

Music Ramble Over

The official recording, on the official Queen channel. No double screening or anything. Only on YouTube for 48 hours, and it went up 7 hours ago. @DEAN got his Birthday present late this year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Since it's only the 90 minute prime time version, and not the whole 6 hour concert, it's missing this highlight:

I used to have the whole concert on a tape and wore that fucker out. So many amazing gems in the earlier parts. 

So apparently releasing archived concerts onto YouTube is a thing now. First Queen, now PRINCE!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

So apparently releasing archived concerts onto YouTube is a thing now. First Queen, now PRINCE!

Is there a better opening song ever recorded than Let's Go Crazy?  It has the right message and gives Prince the ability to absolutely shred on the guitar right off the bat.  Prince has quite a few better songs, but if you want to take advantage of a crowd who is buzzing with anticipation I don't know if there is a better choice in all of music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Is there a better opening song ever recorded than Let's Go Crazy?  It has the right message and gives Prince the ability to absolutely shred on the guitar right off the bat.  Prince has quite a few better songs, but if you want to take advantage of a crowd who is buzzing with anticipation I don't know if there is a better choice in all of music.

After watching the entire concert, which is great by the way, I'd also like to say that "Purple Rain" is also the best closing song of all time.  He stretches the guitar solo out for almost 10 minutes and pretty much exhausts himself by putting every emotion he has into it until he just kind of wanders off stage.  There was a lot of talk about his guitar playing right after his death, but I don't think it can be overstated just how incredible of a guitar player he was.  There are a lot of great guitarists, but I can't think of one who is able to convey emotion via a guitar like Prince could.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Follow up to the Lady Antebellum.  There's already a "Lady A" and she was pissed they were trying to take her name... So they changed it to... "Lady Antebellum".  

Meanwhile, The Dixie Chicks have officially changed their name to "The Chicks"

To be fair, I am willing to sacrifice Sammy Hagar to the economy.  Or for any other reason, really.

Gary Cherone is shooting up the Van Halen Lead Singer Power Rankings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

To be fair, I am willing to sacrifice Sammy Hagar to the economy.  Or for any other reason, really.

As long as we can lock Ted Nugent, Varg Vikernes, KK Warslut, etc. etc. etc. in that Wicker Man with him

Good to know John Fogerty still has a heart, at least. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh boy.

Bassnectar is accused of sexual assault, grooming and pedophilia. He's said he's "stepping back" from making music.

I don't have Instagram, but what prompted all of this was an Instagram account called Evidence Against Bassnectar

....well, shit, I liked some of his stuff. Time to go delete it all.

8 hours ago, JLSigman said:

....well, shit, I liked some of his stuff. Time to go delete it all.

I feel that's what my wife will end up doing as well when she finds out.  I know of one song from him but she has a good bit of his stuff.  But once you find out something like that it's hard to justify holding onto it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I feel that's what my wife will end up doing as well when she finds out.  I know of one song from him but she has a good bit of his stuff.  But once you find out something like that it's hard to justify holding onto it.

I've done this with Kid Rock (it was a thing in the early 2000's wrestling scene, don't judge me) and Jeremy Soule (that. hurt.) and a few other minor artists when it's come up. It sucks, but the least I can do is make sure I'm not giving them iTunes/Spotify hits. 

(makes note to check in with my niece who's did the festival circuit for a few years)

• Like 1

Turns out that it wasn't Bassnectar that she liked as it was actually Basshunter. So I got that confused which makes it that much easier to say fuck Bassnectar. 

I think the only known shithead I still listen to are The Beatles. Lennon being an abusive shit didn't dampen my love for them as much as it should. But that's about it. 

• Haha 1