DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

My favorite gig would probably be Janelle Monae on her Dirty Computer tour. Despite having a bad back, I didn't sit the entire show.  Last night I finally also got a chance to see The World/Inferno Friendship Society about 2 miles from my home. I'd been wanting to catch them for at least a decade, but they never play in California for some reason...

Interesting that the best concert I've ever been to was probably Motley Crue at MSG in 2005. No opening act, close to 3 hours of nothing but their hits, everyone in the band was on their A game and the crowd was going nuts. 

I've seen World/Inferno three times. Second time I was sitting on the stairs to the stage to avoid the crush of humanity and got a good ribbing from Jack for the vest I was wearing. Last time was actually a show in the back of a bar that Bill Cashman hipped my friends that I went with to, leading us to get in free. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I can pick a legit "Best Show I've Seen" but some favorites would be KISS in Detroit and both times I've seen Sunn0))). The first time Boris opened for them and that show blew my mind. The second time I thought I knew what to expect and instead Attila was dressed as a giant tree and it was great. The first show featured the drummer from Boris crowd diving during the Sunn0))) set. I was instantly hooked on Boris. Japandroids was also a really great show. It was the "Post-Nothing" tour and the crowd was small. Lots of younger kids who seemed to be at their first concert and they seemed to be having a great time, as did the rest of the crowd. Those songs were built for drunken sing-alongs and good Lord did they deliver.

The best "local" (at least Ohio local) show(s) I've ever been to were Gil Mantera's Party Dream. They played this small club in Bowling Green all the time and they filled this place to capacity. Their shows were always gigantic parties with a synth-pop soundtrack. One year they got onto the Warped Tour and I really thought they might be on the cusp of some mainstream success. It never happened, sadly. I think if they came around a few years later they may have been bigger. If you like fun dance music/synth pop-ish stuff, do yourself a favor and check them out. Lyrically, they are kind non-sense but the songs just kinda make sense anyway. 

Actually, honorable mention goes to ICP. Not a Juggalo by any stretch of the imagination but I do know some and I've been to a few shows with them. Their stage show is really great and they foster a sense of community that can be genuinely touching at times, especially during the Great Milenko tour as that was my friend Dan's favorite album of theirs and he passed away during college and it brought up some memories. 

I am old, but hear me out... At his prime there was nothing like Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. It was back in post-highschool days (well, maybe legit highschool days, we all dropped out, so there's that). Bob was the opening act for Bachmann-Turner and he blew those fucks off the stage. To this day I am shocked that they had the balls to try and follow the show that Bob put on. From the opening notes of "Nutbush City Limits" to the close with "Beautiful Dreamer", Seger had the crowd eating out of his hand. After his set we went out to the car to smoke pot, no one gave a fuck about hearing BTO after that.

I've been to shows where the closer didn't have the best set (Ozzy in 2000 trying to follow Pantera giving the best live set I've ever seen) but never one that was so absurd it buried the headliner.

I know Van Halen rather famously did to Sabbath in '78.

Edited by Brian Fowler

On the flipside (kinda) - when I saw the GZA live, he had legitmately around 8 or 9 opening acts, all local, and they all sucked.

GZA was an hour late, and only did something like a 25 minute set, it sucked, then he bounced.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I've seen World/Inferno three times. Second time I was sitting on the stairs to the stage to avoid the crush of humanity and got a good ribbing from Jack for the vest I was wearing. Last time was actually a show in the back of a bar that Bill Cashman hipped my friends that I went with to, leading us to get in free. 

I just found out they're coming back out here in February already, since their album got postponed to January, and they're on Jello's label so it's back out west for their actual tour.

Yeah, if they're on AT then them not hitting Cali would be weird. 

The first show I saw of theirs was probably the best because I had no idea who they were really. I was there to see Subhumans and all of a sudden here is this bunch of weirdos. This is back when they had the sax player with the beard and suit who looked like a drunk lawyer, guitarist with shaved head and wifebeater, the dreadlocked female bass player, everything was SO out there for being in some big venue in the middle of the day in Chicago. Getting insulted twice by the singer in front of an entire crowd is one thing but the freshness of that first one made it more fun. 

EDIT: I forgot, I pretty much had a panic attack on the way up because our driver could not... drive... well... certainly on the Dan Ryan, anyway (she couldn't even park the car off the curb). So after that I bailed and went back with a different car of friends and we all got high and a car with literally six people in it tried to run us off the road on the way back. It was better than what happened to my former ride though. Maggie had met a random crusty at the pizza place she worked at and he hitched a ride. This guy actually had a forehead tattoo that said "SPARE CHANGE" in a yield-sign-esque triangle. So, he spanges enough money for vodka, gets drunk in the car and punches her boyfriend on the way back, and they dump him off on the highway in the middle of the night. PHEW.

Edited by Curt McGirt

In terms of greatest live act NOBODY can touch Gwar. I mean, how the fuck do you top ripping the guts out of dead bloated Elvis and playing jump rope with them???

Was it really worth dropping Juice World’s name so soon after his death for one of the (two)most reviled diss tracks of all time? 

Garbage ,not even gonna post the other one with Suge Knights prison phone call intro/outro. 

4 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Was it really worth dropping Juice World’s name so soon after his death for one of the (two)most reviled diss tracks of all time? 

Garbage ,not even gonna post the other one with Suge Knights prison phone call intro/outro. 

I really don't understand why anyone could possibly give a fuck about a Nick Cannon/Eminem battle in 2019.  

So I discovered Floor Jansen via Beste Zangers  and from there, Nightwish.

I've gone down a really really deep youtube pit. Seriously, Youtube  recommendations could be so freakin random sometimes but this time I'm so glad I checked out Floor Jansen & Henk Poort - Phantom Of The Opera. She idolizes him and he's Andrew Lloyd Webber's fav Phantom. Now I got 7 years worth of live recordings to go through.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:28 PM, sabremike said:

In terms of greatest live act NOBODY can touch Gwar. I mean, how the fuck do you top ripping the guts out of dead bloated Elvis and playing jump rope with them???

Saw GWAR in '95 with The Meatmen and another band opening.

Meatmen were up to GWAR's level without the stage set, but Tesco Vee did have a sweet cow suit he wore.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:06 PM, supremebve said:

I really don't understand why anyone could possibly give a fuck about a Nick Cannon/Eminem battle in 2019.  

"Eminem? Is he still in the league?"

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

"Eminem? Is he still in the league?"

Apparently, I haven't given a single solitary fuck about what Eminem has done since 2002.  Honestly, do people go back and listen to anything after "The Eminem Show?"  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Apparently, I haven't given a single solitary fuck about what Eminem has done since 2002.  Honestly, do people go back and listen to anything after "The Eminem Show?"  

It's funny, there are some artists that I never tire of, (yesterday I was listening to Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) all day, and at 70 the dude can still bring it.) Eminem I can't even be bothered with for a twinge of nostalgia. I think I'd honestly rather watch Vanilla Ice prancing around with the Amish trying to make a table then pay attention to anything Eminem may have done in the last fifteen years.

Got vinyl copies of Highway to Hell, Straight Outta Compton, and Purple Rain for Xmas. This will probably be the first time I've heard Purple Rain in full besides watching the movie itself. Once I tried to find it on Soulseek and you cannot find ANYTHING from Prince on there. That man really did hate being bootlegged as much as he hated the record companies. 

• Like 1