DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

So De La Soul announced otday that their renegotiation with Tommy Boy has broken down so the original 5 albums will not be released to streaming services. For those who didn't know the split between Tommy Boy and De La was 90/10, meaning each member of De La got 3% in roylties on their music. Of course Tommy Boy has stated that re-releasing stuff like 3 Feet High & Rising is cost prohibitive due to music licensing o nthe sampling. De La argues that shit should've been handled ages ago (they're right) by Tommy Boy and the fact that it hasn't been taken care of  is gross negligence.

De La Soul is my favorite Hip Hop act of all time and this just makes more angry than sad.

James

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

So De La Soul announced otday that their renegotiation with Tommy Boy has broken down so the original 5 albums will not be released to streaming services. For those who didn't know the split between Tommy Boy and De La was 90/10, meaning each member of De La got 3% in roylties on their music. Of course Tommy Boy has stated that re-releasing stuff like 3 Feet High & Rising is cost prohibitive due to music licensing o nthe sampling. De La argues that shit should've been handled ages ago (they're right) by Tommy Boy and the fact that it hasn't been taken care of  is gross negligence.

De La Soul is my favorite Hip Hop act of all time and this just makes more angry than sad.

James

I remember when all of this was going down, De La Soul and the rest of the Native Tongues crew posted their entire catalog online.  I have to find it on whatever hard drive I saved it to, because this is a travesty.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone listen to Brandi Carlile? She's doing two shows at the Ryman in January that are supported by Courtney Barnett doing an acoustic set, so naturally I'm in. But I don't want to drive to Nashville just to see the opening act and then bounce - if I'm going to spend the money and drive all that way, I'll stick around for the main act. It's kind of off putting, though, because from what I'm reading is that she's mainly like alt. country or something? I mean if she's like Kacey Musgraves then hell yeah, but... uh, yeah. Naturally I'm going to hit up YouTube and check out her work, but I was just wondering if anyone here is a fan of hers or whatever.

If it turns out I don't like her music, then I'm okay leaving after Courtney Barnett is done. On another note, it'll be nice to go back to the Ryman again. I haven't been there since 2010 when I saw Zooey Deschanel & M. Ward's band, She & Him. Which, while I'm thinking about - they need to put out some new stuff, damnit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 6:24 PM, MORELOCK said:

I don't want to ruin anyone's childhood or anything, but the dreads were fake after a certain point, maybe all along.

If Counting Crows played any kind of role in anyone's childhood, it's safe to say it was already ruined anyway.

• Like 2

Last night I went to the Taking Back Sunday 20th Anniversary at HOB Orlando... First show I've been to in 15 years (don't go to show anymore, heck, the only concerts I go to are Hillsong concerts and such with my wife -- but I saw hundreds of live bands growing up {Terror, Hatebreed, Soul Fly, Billy Club Sandwich, Sworn Enemy, It Dies Today, Walls of Jericho, Stretch Armstrong, etc.})? Anyway, they played the entire Tell All Your Friends album which is what I wanted to see them play and then headed out of the venue. Great experience which brought back a ton of memories of my high school years. But yeah, that was most likely a one and done return for me. I'm too old for that stuff now.

Edited by Edwin