DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I meant more corny in the Nekromantix/Mad Sin sense -- total immersion in the fashion of psychobilly as a subgenre, which can get pretty OTT. Guitar Wolf missed that which I like. Now, where's my CD of Golden Black...

Anyway, I'm exhausted after work, so here's a couple links that will do what I could have

https://yattatachi.com/history-punk-rock-japan -- A good basic underline though they cross it with noise artists

http://clrvynt.com/japanese-hardcore-feature/ -- A better basic underline

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/core-values-2-japanese-hardcore-and-burning-spirits/ -- One hell of a laundry list of essential bands, with Youtube files.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/mattgee725/no-side-a-history-of-japanese-punk-and-hardcore/ -- Another good list but no files. I own a lot of this stuff, or will buy the ones I don't on sight.

Basically hardcore in Japan started with either SS or The Stalin's Stop Jap LP back in the early '80s, Gauze heard Discharge and came out with Fuck Heads, then there were a bunch of crazy bands like the incredible GISM who combined metal and punk with the most violent possible imagery and stage show to warp all kinds of minds. The base Japanese hardcore style (Burning Spirits) is highly anthemic and semi-melodic but they have a strong crust scene with its own permutations, like crasher crust (lots of fuzz and feedback), and there's plenty of thrashier stuff in the vein of SxOxB and Outo, and of course grindcore bands like Unholy Grave who have one of the longest discographies ever. As with all genres of music in Japan I'm sure there's a big Straight Edge scene, pop punk, basic '77 style stuff (AKA Killed By Death), etc. but my interest is in hardcore so that's what I know about the most. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I meant more corny in the Nekromantix/Mad Sin sense -- total immersion in the fashion of psychobilly as a subgenre, which can get pretty OTT. Guitar Wolf missed that which I like. Now, where's my CD of Golden Black...

Anyway, I'm exhausted after work, so here's a couple links that will do what I could have

https://yattatachi.com/history-punk-rock-japan -- A good basic underline though they cross it with noise artists

http://clrvynt.com/japanese-hardcore-feature/ -- A better basic underline

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/core-values-2-japanese-hardcore-and-burning-spirits/ -- One hell of a laundry list of essential bands, with Youtube files.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/mattgee725/no-side-a-history-of-japanese-punk-and-hardcore/ -- Another good list but no files. I own a lot of this stuff, or will buy the ones I don't on sight.

Basically hardcore in Japan started with either SS or The Stalin's Stop Jap LP back in the early '80s, Gauze heard Discharge and came out with Fuck Heads, then there were a bunch of crazy bands like the incredible GISM who combined metal and punk with the most violent possible imagery and stage show to warp all kinds of minds. The base Japanese hardcore style (Burning Spirits) is highly anthemic and semi-melodic but they have a strong crust scene with its own permutations, like crasher crust (lots of fuzz and feedback), and there's plenty of thrashier stuff in the vein of SxOxB and Outo, and of course grindcore bands like Unholy Grave who have one of the longest discographies ever. As with all genres of music in Japan I'm sure there's a big Straight Edge scene, pop punk, basic '77 style stuff (AKA Killed By Death), etc. but my interest is in hardcore so that's what I know about the most. 

Thanks! This gives me a lot of stuff to check out that I'm under-familiar with. That invisibleoranges link is going to cost me money, but that's perfectly okay. I'm pretty much all caught up on custom action figures and I'm getting review copies of most of the new books that I want, so there's some dough left for music. I can already tell you that Mrs OSJ is going to hate you lots for this. Our taste in music differs greatly, we share a common love for the Cramps, but other than that she pretty much hates most of what I listen to.

Oh no. My buddy Greg has a similar situation with his SO, so I've witnessed this plenty. Just don't listen to GISM or Disclose around her haha

If you're actually going to buy these things you're in for an uphill battle. I've got a couple sources and try and jump on reissues when I can but some of it you just have to get bootlegs of. GISM, for example, will never be reissued in a million billion years (and there are rumors/stories of Sakevi physically attacking bootleggers). The mentality of a lot of Japanese bands is very unique in that once a band is done it's typically very much over and the members fully jump into new projects with their all, so not a lot of reissues or anything -- new creation is priority. If I had to pick a handful of records that are the essentials I would say

Death Side - Bet On The Possibility

Death Side - Wasted Dream (these are two sides of the same coin and both as important as the other)

Bastard - Wind of Pain

Judgement - all EPs

DSB - everything

GISM - Detestation

SxOxB - Leave Me Alone (coming in the mail here soon!!! Later material is more grind, this was pure fastcore at its best)

Lip Cream - any, pick one

Disclose - Tragedy

Paintbox - Earth Ball Sports Tournament (THIS ONE. FUCK.)

Gauze - 面を洗って出直して来い (translation is close to "Go Wash Your Face And Come Back", commonly said after someone's ass gets kicked in Japan. This record says that to you the whole time you listen to it.)

The Gauze records actually got re-released last year so you can find them for about $35 a pop if you're lucky (Hell's Headbangers still has 'em with superficial packaging damage -- seriously, a crinkled corner is not going to stop me buying one of those). If you want any help tracking anything PM me. The scene is so deep that I'm still getting into bands; hell I just heard The Sexual for the first time yesterday...

Edited by Curt McGirt

I just remembered you're a CD guy. That might make the struggle a bit easier (I stress "might") and you'll be able to find far more material than having to scrape around for represses of old flexis, for example. (Flexis are another particular feature of Japanese hardcore, it was a cheap way to get out material so some bands' first material was on that format. You don't see that internationally anywhere else.)

On 2/26/2019 at 1:34 AM, Curt McGirt said:

That would be me!

Their reissue catalog alone is awesome and they have supreme taste on the new punk front. The comp they're putting out in March is gonna be a first-day purchase over here. One of the guys from the store also has a secondary label with my buddy Usman, Bunker Punks Discs and Tapes, if you're missing out on some Japanese and US hardcore goodness like the Execute reissues that I still need to get ahold of. Oh, and as far as stuff they put out themselves, check out the Stripmines stuff, it rips. 

Thanks for mentioning the comp. Come Monday, I'll be ordering that. 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The SxOxB/Googolplex split came in from Sorry State and it contains NOT JUST Leave Me Alone by SxOxB but the equally raging Thrash Night 7" trax!!! For some seriously deranged thrashing hardcore, it gets no better. 

RIP Tottsuan

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 2/27/2019 at 1:18 PM, Contentious C said:

The one and only redeeming quality of cassettes appeared on Tom Petty's album, Full Moon Fever.  If you've listened to "Runnin' Down a Dream", you know what I'm talking about.

this is news to me. can you elaborate?

Well, funnily enough, I suppose it wouldn't have appeared on the tape, but would have appeared on the CD. Maybe streaming versions have jettisoned it, but it's a nice time capsule moment.

"Hello, CD listeners.  We've come to the point in this album where those listening on cassette, or records, will have to stand up - or sit down - and turn over the record, or tape.  In fairness to those listeners, we'll now take a few seconds before we begin Side 2.

Thank you.

Here's Side 2."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Look at what I just found: A video no one else will care about because I dont think anyone but me heard this record on here. Even so, Dawson will probably never tour the US and certainly hasn't for the Peasant record so this is about as good as it gets for me getting to see this material live. Oh, backstory: his album Peasant was my vote for the best album of 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Butch Vig:  Audio Engineer Power Nerd is my favorite YouTube thing right now. 

Listening to him waxing geek about the nuances of sound mixing has been a real education.

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Butch Vig:  Audio Engineer Power Nerd is my favorite YouTube thing right now. 

Listening to him waxing geek about the nuances of sound mixing has been a real education.

His remix of Last (in good quality) was a holy grail for a lot of NIN fans for a long time until Trent posted it on remix.nin.com when that site was still active. It's soooo good.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

One of my favorite bands ever (Anberlin) just got back together and I got a ticket for their July 6th date at Irving Plaza that pretty much sold out in half an hour (they actually added a second date for the next day).

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Rock and Roll HOF tonight on HBO and so cool to see Def Leppard inducted.   Before I was a huge Mettalica guy in college that was my fucking band.  Most of the band now is still fucking awesome but man I think Joe Elliott prepares for his concerts by letting people kick him in the nuts 100 times.  Don't remember his voice eve getting this fucking high.  

Edited by hammerva