DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

and Avery Tare is performing this year, so that’s a definite selling point for me. And Spiritualized/Yves Tumor.

If Bonnaroo wasn’t 30 minutes away from me, I’d probably go to Big Ears, Mempho or Beale Street instead.

here's a question.

The end of the decade is coming up at the end of the year. Let me float three options.

1) we attempt to do a decade ballot thing because the odds are better that we've heard enough albums over the last ten years to do that vs. end-of-year lists.

2) I'll be blunt: the reason I started doing "SHOW ME YOUR AOTY" is because I tried to run the AOTY poll here a few times and got dramatically less responses as that went on. I came up with the other thing as a replacement, because people feeding their personal favorite record to an arbitrator is significantly less work than exposing yourself to enough records to feel like you have a good sense of the best of the decade, and by doing that whole process we end up with a DVDVR-specific Best Albums Of The Year proxy.

So yeah I'm suggesting a potential "SHOW ME YOUR ALBUM OF THE DECADE" spinoff next year. How's that sound.

3) don't do nothin' big at all

There's no possible chance I can list one single album as the best of the decade. Maybe people doing lists of their favorite albums from each year, or picking one from each year to form a top 10, but choosing ONE will be nigh impossible.

For me, anyway.

• Like 1

For total clarity: the "I'd be willing to let two through" is for the thing where I listen to it and write the reviews. Around 12 people participate in that, so that'd be 24 albums, which is still A Lot to write about. If you think I'm going to do five albums per person in that format you're out of your mind, or, alternatively, you'd all need to pay me first, and it wouldn't be cheap.

If people want to do ballots, I'm totally fine with ballots. I was just trying to gauge where interest was.

I wouldn’t even say you’d have to review them, I just think it’d be fun to get a topic where we list our favorite albums of each year or something. Same thing for the movies forum, etc. I just like making lists like that, though. Gives me an excuse to revisit some albums I normally wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to, even if they are some of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's my misfortune to let you know that long-running punk zine Maximumrocknroll is wrapping up in the next three issues. End of an era; very sad. 

That it has lasted this long is a minor miracle.

I mean be honest, how many of us here still read paper magazines?

On 1/5/2019 at 8:11 AM, MORELOCK said:

On that subject - those of you who are heavily into that sort of thing may want to check out the Big Ears festival here in Knoxville - recent years have included a 12 hour drone that people brought sleeping bags to, and Richter himself performed twice in 2015. It's definitely the weirdest festival I've ever known of, and Knoxville an even weirder place to do it, but people come in from all over the world.

Never thought I'd see somebody bring up Big Ears on this board.

I've been driving down from Baltimore to host a craft beer trade @ Suttree's Tavern as a part of the festival for the last five-or-so years. It's a good time. Harlod Budd this year, man. This Heat! Lonnie Holley! Jlin!

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Never thought I'd see somebody bring up Big Ears on this board.

I've been driving down from Baltimore to host a craft beer trade @ Suttree's Tavern as a part of the festival for the last five-or-so years. It's a good time. Harlod Budd this year, man. This Heat! Lonnie Holley! Jlin!

No shit? I worked in the Suttree's kitchen for a spell, great bar and great people. I may have to come by this year!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting this under the assumption that the only person here who ever listened to all of Big Wreck's albums and/or gives a crap, but, oh man, maybe heroin is good for some people.

I'm not sure why, but I occasionally go on jags of listening to these guys, even though their first 2 albums are fairly scattershot.  The first half of the first album is strong, but it fades hard.  The second album has a stronger set of songs, but it feels like you have to wade through some fairly pedestrian stuff to get to the tracks that are top-notch.  Plus, they're not really prog, because they're stuff isn't weird enough, or long enough.  But they were well past grunge and not full-on metal, either.  I feel like the only description of them that made sense, especially with their second album, The Pleasure and the Greed, was "what nu-metal would have sounded like if the musicians and songwriters didn't uniformly suck." 

Might be hard to wrap your brain around, but if you listen to "Ladylike", or the (ugh) Nickelback song, "Good Times Gone", where Ian Thornley plays pedal steel and immolates everyone else playing, you might see why I describe them that way.  If these guys had been the dominant type on the radio instead of Disturbed or Staind or whatever other waste-of-space jerkwads there were on rock radio 15-20 years ago, maybe I would listen to the radio more than once every 5 years (i.e., when someone else still listens to the radio and I have to be in their car).

I was high on them in college, and then Thornley put out his first solo album, Come Again, which I own and still haven't listened to more than 2 tracks of, because, holy shit, it's fucking terrible.  This was a guy who, on the first Big Wreck album, railed against sellouts and phonies on the song "Look What I Found" and then put out that turd, which instantly reeked of radio-friendly unit shifting and cash-grabbing.  I still recoil from it when I see it, like a cat spotting a cucumber.  Ugh.

So I went through, well, a decade+ of telling friends who liked harder stuff to check them out, and lamenting their break-up, only to discover they released two albums in the last 10 years.  But, well, the nostalgia was better.  The only thing I can say about either the 2009 or 2012 records is I can't remember anything worth discussing about either of them, which, on some level, might be the worst thing you can say about music.  Good, bad, otherwise: just don't be boring, and they were boring.  It made me retreat back to the songs that were ostensibly referring to consuming every drug in sight, and wonder if maybe there isn't something to that after all.  

I'm kidding, of course.  Don't do drugs, kids.  Unless you can do all the drugs, and then do all the drugs.

After a couple years of almost no live music, between March and June I have tickets to: The Interrupters, Bob Mould, Joe Jackson, Dream Theater, Weird Al and CHVRCHES.  All of those but the Interrupters will be repeats of acts I've already seen, DT and CHVRCHES will be my third show each.

• Like 1

I have got to quit hanging out at the audiophile forum. I just spent about $70 this weekend on early CD pressings on discogs. It's not like I even have the proper equipment to appreciate the differences. (not true - I can recognize it when I am able to compare, but still)

All of them were $11 or less - apart from a rare-ish 1980's Star Wars soundtrack, which was $28 after shipping. It usually goes for 2x that or more, so I am hoping this one is in decent enough condition. 

That would be me!

Their reissue catalog alone is awesome and they have supreme taste on the new punk front. The comp they're putting out in March is gonna be a first-day purchase over here. One of the guys from the store also has a secondary label with my buddy Usman, Bunker Punks Discs and Tapes, if you're missing out on some Japanese and US hardcore goodness like the Execute reissues that I still need to get ahold of. Oh, and as far as stuff they put out themselves, check out the Stripmines stuff, it rips. 

• Like 2