DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Going to see Goo Goo Dolls tonight on their Dizzy up the Girl tour playing that album in full and then a 2nd set of greatest hits/"deep cuts".

Was presently surprised going through Spotify this morning of how much of that album and Goo Goo Dolls in general that I remember and like.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CSC said:

Going to see Goo Goo Dolls tonight on their Dizzy up the Girl tour playing that album in full and then a 2nd set of greatest hits/"deep cuts".

Was presently surprised going through Spotify this morning of how much of that album and Goo Goo Dolls in general that I remember and like.  

I love them because they are great and also because they are from Buffalo and are huge Sabres fans. Back when the Sabres being in the playoffs was a thing that actually happened they actually did an intro/hype video for the team.

Wow - so the concert was a total shitshow.

There were (somehow) 3 fights in the crown in the first half of the show complete with then stopping songs in the middle TWICE to tell them to stop and then the next time telling the crowd to part for the paramedics to get through.

This was followed by 3 song intermission with Johnny singing with ...himself on a giant TV which BOMBED hard.

At that point you could tell he checked out -  openly crapping on LA crowds, numerous times saying ssentially "here is our next song, let's get this over with.", mumbling through two songs he forgot the words on and finally cutting the band off on the transition into the 2nd encore song, saying goodnight and motioning for them to all get offstage. 

We were then kicked out by security 2 minutes after the show ended .... at 10:30pm.  Damndest show I've ever been to.  

For those of you who haven't heard the story of Threatin, a fake band with a fake fanbase that booked a European tour

https://news.avclub.com/please-enjoy-the-batshit-story-of-threatin-an-internet-1830338451

https://www.altpress.com/news/threatin-guitarist-drummer-quit-mid-tour/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CSC said:

There were (somehow) 3 fights in the crown in the first half of the show complete with then stopping songs in the middle TWICE to tell them to stop and then the next time telling the crowd to part for the paramedics to get through.

This was followed by 3 song intermission with Johnny singing with ...himself on a giant TV which BOMBED hard.

At that point you could tell he checked out -  openly crapping on LA crowds, numerous times saying ssentially "here is our next song, let's get this over with.", mumbling through two songs he forgot the words on and finally cutting the band off on the transition into the 2nd encore song, saying goodnight and motioning for them to all get offstage. 

We were then kicked out by security 2 minutes after the show ended .... at 10:30pm.  Damndest show I've ever been to.  

Feel bad for you but I mean: what type of mutants get into fights at a Goo Goo Dolls concert? Can't blame them for just wanting to get the hell out of there after that.

• Like 1

A friend on another board from Sacramento said the cheapest seats for the Metalica show there are $300. Let's see: I can pay $300 to see Metalica or I can spend 1/6th of that to see Iron Maiden. That's a real tough call LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to finally get into XTC and they're pretty good, I've only listened up to Mummer BUT these Dukes of the Stratosphear albums kick all leagues of ass.  This is as good as when I first got into that Cocteau Twins Victorialand album.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:52 PM, CSC said:

Well, LA and the GGD do suck ass, so there was bound to be conflict.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Good Lord this Garth Brooks at ND concert is fantastic.

Editing and production do wonders. Reading about the filming of it on the Setlist.fm for it was interesting. Lots of stops for crowd shots. Plenty of restarts and other stuff. The production people edited it together nicely.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, Ryan said:

Well, LA and the GGD do suck ass, so there was bound to be conflict.

As someone who considers Buffalo my spiritual home I say your opinion sucks.

Last Friday/Saturday/Sunday of the year I am seeing Thursday on back to back nights at the Music Hall of Williamsburg and the Get Up Kids at Rough Trade on Sunday. And on the 15th I am checking something off my bucket list and seeing the legendary Dead Milkmen at Irving Plaza!

So, you love Los Angeles? Weirdo. Liking Goo Goo Dolls and Buffalo is a symptom of a deeper issue that needs to be addressed. Why the snow fetish?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

So, you love Los Angeles? Weirdo. Liking Goo Goo Dolls and Buffalo is a symptom of a deeper issue that needs to be addressed. Why the snow fetish?

You see my user name no?

• 2 weeks later...

One downside of sharing a lot of interests with your significant other is that you end up buying each other the same thing for Christmas...

That how I have two bluetooth enabled turntables in the house right now.  I got her an Audio Technica and she got me an Ion.  On the bright side, we're gonna return one of them and have $100 to blow on records to start our collection, but figuring out which one to keep isn't easy.

9 hours ago, CSC said:

One downside of sharing a lot of interests with your significant other is that you end up buying each other the same thing for Christmas...

That how I have two bluetooth enabled turntables in the house right now.  I got her an Audio Technica and she got me an Ion.  On the bright side, we're gonna return one of them and have $100 to blow on records to start our collection, but figuring out which one to keep isn't easy.

This could be you, but you'd rather have $100.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In a pretty wild coincidence, Mike Dean from Corrosion of Conformity showed up to Raleigh, NC's record store Sorry State Records (who are awesome) and hand-delivered Back On Black pressings of Eye for an Eye for them to sell; my copy came yesterday. As soon as I saw it also had Six Songs With Mike Singing attached I had to grab it. 

Spoiler

But anyway yeah for all you vinyl fans, Sorry State rules, especially if you like punk/hardcore. They get a lot of good reissues in of all kinds of different stuff too. Highly recommend their mail order; some stuff can get pricey but they're worth it. https://www.sorrystaterecords.com/

Oh, and CSC! Ditch the Ion, save the Audio Technica. Trust me. I've had to return a fucking Ion and ATs last forever.

• Like 2

So in a tiny touch of cross-pollination, I decided that two distinct recommendations were enough.  Between hearing about them on Grantland years ago (I think), and Lamp's Album OTY thread, I decided I should finally listen to Parquet Courts (as a Celtics fan, I still don't know if I should like the name or find it too fucking cute).

I went back to Sunbathing Animal, since that was the earliest album I saw that Amazon had streaming for free, and I think I just have 1 song left on it.  These fucking guys...I'm not going to say they're great, because who cares and what does that mean anyway, but holy Hell, do they lean into everything that they are a million percent.  The first thing I thought when the opening track cranked up was, "Oh fuck, it's another copycat of The Strokes", but then I realized how wrong I was.  It's like reading a book that makes you think of Stephen King and then you realize it's digging deeper into Shelley or Lovecraft; these guys momentarily sound like the canned, annoying bullshit of the last 10 years, and then rip the cover off that and go all-out Pere Ubu/Jonathan Richman in a way most of their contemporaries couldn't hope to do.  As much as anything, it's a sense that nothing they're doing is a goddamned affectation (except the name).  They understand their strengths and weaknesses and just roll with it.  None of them can sing, but that's fine, since they half-chant things at you like they're splitting the difference between D. Boon & a hardcore punk band.  They rely heavily on good lyrics and danceable punk-pop and are clearly unashamed of that, and I can dig it.   

I just hope to shit the rest of their output doesn't disappoint me.  I think there was some article or study a while ago, several years at least, that said people tend to gravitate towards things you hear between the ages of 13 and 30, and you kind of stop listening to new stuff past your mid-30s.  I hate the very idea of that, and yet I find myself pulling up Nirvana's Unplugged album more than I listen to new records, which is dumb and irritating of me to do.  But, listening to new stuff means sometimes you get burned - see my tragically late discovery of Frightened Rabbit, and how they managed to Sandanista! everything in their catalog after Midnight Organ Fight.  

• Like 1

Random one, but at some point last year 'Sleep' by 'Mr Post-Minimalism' Max Richter (of about a million soundtracks) came on Spotify (only the heavily cut down 'From Sleep' had been there previously).

It's 8.5 hours and, yes, designed to be 'listened to' during sleep. 

There is plenty of sleep music out there (I frequently use a 30 minute version of 'Weightless' by Marconi Union to put me under - it has failed once), but I think this is the 'best' of the all-night ones.

By consulting with famed neuroscientist and past collaborator David Eagleman, Richter has created a slow-motion, electronics-and-chamber-ensemble hybrid meant to reinforce and reflect natural sleep cycles. "An invitation to dream," Richter has called it.

They actually had beds for the live performances.

There is a YouTube version currently, the record company have added ads so I guess it's ok to post it. I actually have the BluRay Audio. Don't listen whilst driving/operating machinery etc.

On that subject - those of you who are heavily into that sort of thing may want to check out the Big Ears festival here in Knoxville - recent years have included a 12 hour drone that people brought sleeping bags to, and Richter himself performed twice in 2015. It's definitely the weirdest festival I've ever known of, and Knoxville an even weirder place to do it, but people come in from all over the world.

• Like 2