DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I went to the Childish Gambino concert last night, and let me tell you...that dude puts on a fucking show.  I wouldn't call him a good singer in general, but he's an amazing live performer.  He understands exactly what his limited vocal range is, and never tries to move outside of it.  I went to the concert with really high expectations, and he greatly exceeded them.  One of the best shows I've ever been to in my entire life.  He claims this is the last Childish Gambino tour, but I have the sneaky suspicion that he's going to drop the name and do something completely different...and I'll be there for that shit too.

Credit where credit is due, far too few performers understand their limitations and stay in their lane as opposed to making fools of themselves. Glover is not a great singer by any measure, but the dude knows how to put a song across so that you feel it. The only real comparisons I have for him are in a completely different genre of music, Bob Dylan and John Prine; neither man can sing worth a fuck, but it doesn't matter, they can touch your soul. 

I think you're absolutely right that he's going to re-invent himself and do something cool. Count on it.

Watching a bunch of Stones vids this AM and two things are abundantly clear:

1. Charlie Watts is in the discussion for coolest mofo who has ever lived. (He has made best-dressed lists in 5 different decades and has always eschewed the rockstar bullshit, remaining faithful to his wife of 54 years (and I thought Kathy and I had been married a longass time! (33 years) )

2. Lisa Fischer could sound like Aretha and Janis at the same fucking time, since then she has grown into arguably the best jazz singer of our lifetimes.

Discuss.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone on here loves Liars the same way I do, but, just in case, the new Liars record that came out last month (Titles With The Word Fountain) is fucking completely amazing. It is, however, amazing in the same way that They Were Wrong So We Drowned was, which means that it seems like everyone fuckin hates it. It is the Angus's Raw Id record I thought TFCF could be, but this goes way further. However, if you were on Team Anti-Drowned, you'll strongly dislike this one.

This is probably not the appropriate place for it, but what the hell... Is it possible for Kanye to make himself look anymore ridiculous than he did today? I suppose he could have bit the head off a live chicken or sang "I'm a Little Teapot", but other than something along those lines I'm finding it hard to imagine a more embarrassing performance. I suppose to be fair one has to say: "What a talent, what a musical genius, but sweet tap-dancing Jeebus, what an asshole."

• 3 weeks later...