DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Based on the hip hop nerds I hang around, they think every part of this Eminem thing since the album dropped has been a pile of shit from everyone. So, there's that. Hardcores really hates Em for many reasons I don't give a shit about since I don't listen to him.

• Like 1

I dunno. Em still has flow, it's the beats that do nothing for me. A buddy who had me burn the record for him (if it's not one of the ones some other assholes took the vocals and just put their own trap beats under) agrees, and he's a far bigger fan of both him and hip hop in general than I am. 

As far as the lyrics go as long as he's not talking about beating/killing his ex, whatever. It's nice that he has other targets now I suppose

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did I miss the story about the tragic death of Tony Iommi?

Oh, come now... Iommi's great, but really in the same league with Beck? I don't think so.

From a technical standpoint Em is still one of the best. Doesn't always make for the best music but he's been better this year than he has in a while.  I thought he pretty much killed MGK..   I can't get into rappers who can't actually rhyme for shit anyway unless they have masterful production and catchy hooks (i.e. Future).  

Definitely not hip hop related: Friday BMG announced they are reissuing the final four Dio albums, Angry Machines, Magica, Killing the Dragon, and Master of the Moon, which have been out of print and unavailable since 2013.

Combined with the announcement they distributed all four albums digitally on Friday, making them available on all the major platforms. CD and LP details to come. Wendy Dio hinted at possible bonus material.

The only one of them that is a noticably good record is Magica. Angry Machines is pretty much the consensus vote for worst Dio album (RJD showing grunge influence and singing topical lyrics in 1996!) The other two are fairly solid, don't reinvent the wheel type stuff.

But... I own the first six Dio albums on vinyl, and really desperately want to complete the connection. To the best of my knowledge, Angry Machines was never pressed on vinyl. Magica, KTD and MoM were all only ever issued as limited edition, RSD exclusive picture discs. Last I checked, all three run into the triple digits used.

Beck is probably better on the grounds of technical mastery, but Iommi wrote some of the greatest songs and riffs of all time.  His fifteenth or twentieth most memorable song is better than the best thing Jeff Beck ever wrote.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Beck is probably better on the grounds of technical mastery, but Iommi wrote some of the greatest songs and riffs of all time.  His fifteenth or twentieth most memorable song is better than the best thing Jeff Beck ever wrote.

^ This.  While I rank Beck 3rd all-time (after Hendrix and Alvin Lee), he has never been much of a songwriter. What he does better than anyone else is display a technical mastery of the instrument that no one, not Clapton, Fripp, Iommi, Page et al have ever approached. 

On 9/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, OSJ said:

Life is too short to listen to Marshall's self-indulgent bullshit. 

Let me throw this out there... Jeff Beck, greatest living guitarist? Discuss.

The real greatest living guitarist is Ernie Isley.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The real greatest living guitarist is Ernie Isley.  

Yeah, not too many guys could keep up with both Jimi and Carlos Santana. I still think Beck is the technical virtuoso, but Ernie def belongs in the discussion. Good call.

55 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Yeah, not too many guys could keep up with both Jimi and Carlos Santana. I still think Beck is the technical virtuoso, but Ernie def belongs in the discussion. Good call.

My pick is Ernie Isley, because I don't know a single genre of music that he can't play.  The Isley Brothers could have been the best rock band ever, the best R&B band ever, the best funk band ever, etc., but they decided to be great at all three instead of the best at one.  Ernie's guitar playing is pretty much the key to that versatility, that and the fact that when we do the greatest living frontman Ron Isley has to be in the conversation.

I don't know anything from the Isley Brothers besides Contagious, but that's a banger. Even if it does feature R. Kelly.

Also, I'm working on the hip-hop thread. First order of business is to come up with a cool topic title, like "Banging the Head that Doesn't Bang". Maybe... "The Hip that Doesn't Hop". Hmmmm.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't know anything from the Isley Brothers besides Contagious, but that's a banger. Even if it does feature R. Kelly.

Their first hit was "Shout," in 1959 the one song you know is from 2001...they have a single on the charts in almost every year in between.  How is that the only song you know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Their first hit was "Shout," in 1959 the one song you know is from 2001...they have a single on the charts in almost every year in between.  How is that the only song you know?

Because I don’t listen to the Isley Brothers and that song was popular when I was 12?

20 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is where I point out that "Shout" is essentially the unofficial anthem of the city of Buffalo.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:30 PM, Casey said:

Also, I'm working on the hip-hop thread. First order of business is to come up with a cool topic title, like "Banging the Head that Doesn't Bang". Maybe... "The Hip that Doesn't Hop". Hmmmm.

Well it's the hip-hop thread and I'm here to say/We're talkin' 'bout rap in a serious way.

You're welcome.