DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

29 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Well, you were a teenager in uh....the mid 70s, so your favorite music is probably uh...... Captain & Tenille, Frankie Valli, Neil Sedaka and um.....*scans list of 1975 singles* America. Yeah...

Uh, no... Punk as fuck. Cramps, Ramones, etc.

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

Welcome to the joke.

I knew that, just any excuse to talk about my punk cred will do.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

John did cross a few desserts on nameless horses though

"desserts"? Had a splendid one last night, chocolate birthday cake with chocolate-chip mint ice-cream.

Weezer were just amazing last night. Played all the stuff I really wanted to hear (ie: lots of stuff off the first 3 albums) including 4 songs off Pinkerton. And yes, they played "Africa". The Pixies were also incredible. It really struck me listening to them live that Nirvana was essentially the greatest Pixies tribute band ever.

Tyler, The Creator & A$AP Rocky's new single, Potato Salad, is probably my favorite thing in hip-hop right now. I can't wait for their collab album. Odd Future and Rocky's first mixtape sparked my renewed interest in rap back in 2010/2011, so this is just a perfect combination for me. I can't even describe how hyped I am for this.

The video has some serious Otis by Watch the Throne vibes, too. I'm not a fan of his music, but Jaden Smith is an upgrade if he's supposed to be the Aziz to Tyler's Kanye and Rocky's Jay in that clip.

On 7/21/2018 at 12:21 PM, Ryan said:

OSJ was never a punk fan, it was all about Sweet.

I did have a brief glam phase, but it was all about Bowie and the New York Dolls.

I don't know how you appear, but I imagine an older man wearing Bowie glam stuff and it amuses me for the right reasons.

At a Smashing Pumpkins show now. Metric is the opening act and they are one of the most boring acts I think I've ever seen. They sure as hell aren't Anti Flag (who I saw open last night for Rise Against and AFI).

Courtney Love showed up as a special guest on the Smashing Pumpkins show and I know it will come as a total and complete surprise to all of you that she was pilled/drugged/drunk out of her mind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Unpopular opinion alert...Rap City is better in every single way than Yo! MTV Raps.  Rap City played everything, Yo! MTV Raps focused way too much on the mainstream.  

• Like 3

The Internet slipped a new album past me.

They're touring with the Gorillaz, but I think they've also got a show coming up at the National in the RVA.  Tickets or death.

The Internet's guitarist, Steve Lacy, also snuck an EP by me when I wasn't looking.

He recorded the fucking thing on his iPhone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, supremebve said:

Unpopular opinion alert...Rap City is better in every single way than Yo! MTV Raps.  Rap City played everything, Yo! MTV Raps focused way too much on the mainstream.  

Yo! was perfectly fine when Fab 5 Freddy was the host and was nearly the equal of Rap City. 

The revised unpopular opinion alert is that the show became too mainstream after Dr. Dre and Ed Lover became the regular hosts, but I blame the execs.  They were the ones that were too scared to play By The Time I Get to Arizona and How I Could Just Kill A Man.

If it weren't for Sheri Howell, Yo! would've been total shit after Fab 5 left.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yo! was perfectly fine when Fab 5 Freddy was the host and was nearly the equal of Rap City. 

The revised unpopular opinion alert is that the show became too mainstream after Dr. Dre and Ed Lover became the regular hosts, but I blame the execs.  They were the ones that were too scared to play By The Time I Get to Arizona and How I Could Just Kill A Man.

If it weren't for Sheri Howell, Yo! would've been total shit after Fab 5 left.

I think early Yo! with Fab 5 Freddy took place where rap was just rap, and there wasn't much of a mainstream/underground separation.  Once MC Hammer and the like took off and became mainstream, that is when MTV decided they were only going to cater to the rap that had a chance to be mainstream.  Rap City was the place where you could go and see dudes rapping in front of their project in a video that was clearly not filmed by a professional.  That is what I wanted from a show dedicated to rap music.  I wanted to see the mainstream dudes, but I was always looking for the next dude who was going to pop.  That was a huge part of rap fandom, and you weren't going to get that from Yo! MTV Raps.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, supremebve said:

Plus you could be a terrible performer and just throw out one of the host’s name in your song and get AirPlay.