DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

That feeling when you get to see a legendary band you've loved forever with lofty expectations and they completely blow them out of the water. Tonight was one of the greatest nights of my life, I love the Get Up Kids SO much!!!!!!

Recommendations? I've only ever heard The Lion & The Lamb (from Rock Against Bush, Vol. 1) but I remember it being one of my favorite songs off that compilation. That CD introduced me to so many bands back in the day. I was a sophomore in high school when I bought it (and the DVD that came with it introduced me to David Cross, as well).

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Recommendations? I've only ever heard The Lion & The Lamb (from Rock Against Bush, Vol. 1) but I remember it being one of my favorite songs off that compilation. That CD introduced me to so many bands back in the day. I was a sophomore in high school when I bought it (and the DVD that came with it introduced me to David Cross, as well).

Start with Something To Write Home About, which is their biggest and most well known album and work your way from there. Their new 4 song EP Kicker is really great as well. Maybe and I'm Sorry are on that and they became among my favorites from them.

For some inexplicable reason I'm part of a Hip-Hop favored Discord full of RYM members even though I don't listen to hip-hop or post on the RYM forums. Alas, I've heard 3 albums this year because of it! *shrug* Drake's Scorpion is terrible. Nas's NASIR is good enough with many flaws and Mike Shinoda's solo album/mourning Chester album is basically just bad. There, now you know. Hurry up and release your damn album in October, Coheed and Cambria, I need something to listen to.

Per Forbes - the music video for Guns N' Roses "November Rain" is the first video from the 90s to pass 1 billion views. 

It is also the first video created "before the Youtube era" reach a billion (whatever that means)

The Cranberries "Zombie" and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirt" are the next two in line as the both have just south of 740 million views.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Alert: the Live Nation/Ticketmaster voucher thing is back. Got tickets to see Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins and 311/Offspring.

I'm so sorry.

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What can I say, I was a teenager in the 90's. 

As was I. Find a new excuse! ? Eh, just enjoy what you want, it doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Here I am posting the finest Basque hardcore punk from this year and people are still going to see... the Offspring. *sigh*

And just so this doesn't seem like ganging up on Mike I didn't say shit about the other bands. That would be mean.

My birthday is 3/11. I have to hate them by law.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Here I am posting the finest Basque hardcore punk from this year and people are still going to see... the Offspring. *sigh*

And just so this doesn't seem like ganging up on Mike I didn't say shit about the other bands. That would be mean.

If they have Jello Biafra's approval they have mine as well. I have a soft spot for the Pumpkins because "Tonight, Tonight" was used in the greatest most emotional video I have ever seen at a sporting event (at the last game at the real Coliseum for the Islanders with all the great moments in team history, it was incredibly powerful and moving. The only one that was even close was the one played before Mets games in 2015 with all the great moments. That one would literally cause me to tear up, particularly hearing the Bob Murphy calls of the 86 Series). And I make no apologies for loving Weezer, they had among the greatest first 3 albums any band has ever had. Pinkerton is one of my all time favorite albums, just absolutely brilliant. But if it earns me back some street cred I just got a ticket at the box office for The Descendents and Teenage Bottlerocket this October and will be seeing Rise Against and AFI next month.

Aw, you don't have to explain yourself man. My chiding was with love, anyone can like whatever they like; I consider this forum a judgment free board. At least in that I'm not gonna give someone serious shit about what I don't like, anyway. You've got enough reasons (and the first Offspring is great, btw)

• Like 1

I'll be the judge if he won't! Eh, I'll criticize it with 22 year old music nerds who post on RYM and think Pinkerton started the Men's Rights Movement.

So its been a couple weeks since that Maynard story came out and the only real discussion or dialogue I've seen is from THIS BOARD. It hasn't cracked through like the other #MeToo 'celebrity' stories have. A dozen people on my FB posted the hell out of Aziz and even Hardwick recently, and most of the bigger names have even been brought up on some of the podcasts I listen to, but crickets on this Maynard one. 

Maynard isn't really a well known name like Aziz or Chris Hardwick. I'd go as far as to say that Tool isn't even that well known, unless you're already a fan or just obsess over/love music. The general public might know "Sober" but probably couldn't name the band that performs the song. This isn't 2000, and no one really knows or cares about A Perfect Circle anymore. If it was Trent Reznor or Billy Corgan or Eddie Vedder, sure, I could see it breaking into the news cycle. But MJK? I love Tool, but I just don't think they're on that level where you can put a story out there and people would care. It's sad that news works that way, but it does.

I think musicians in general get a pass on these things, though. They shouldn't, but it seems like they do because "lol musicians and their groupies". Bowie is allegedly guilty of some nasty shit, Led Zeppelin could be guilty of sexual assault if you believe rumors like the mudshark thing, etc. It's like you have to do something heinous to even get blackballed from the music industry (see: Watkins, Ian).

I think they/he were big enough names before they went a decade plus without releasing anything, but they've faded from the public consciousness a lot.

Plus, as sad as it is to say this, the fervor around #metoo has died off quite a bit.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:16 PM, sabremike said:

Alert: the Live Nation/Ticketmaster voucher thing is back. Got tickets to see Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins and 311/Offspring.

I'm so sorry, what did you do to deserve this, you seem like a good dude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Maynard isn't really a well known name like Aziz or Chris Hardwick. I'd go as far as to say that Tool isn't even that well known, unless you're already a fan or just obsess over/love music. The general public might know "Sober" but probably couldn't name the band that performs the song. This isn't 2000, and no one really knows or cares about A Perfect Circle anymore. If it was Trent Reznor or Billy Corgan or Eddie Vedder, sure, I could see it breaking into the news cycle. But MJK? I love Tool, but I just don't think they're on that level where you can put a story out there and people would care. It's sad that news works that way, but it does.

I think musicians in general get a pass on these things, though. They shouldn't, but it seems like they do because "lol musicians and their groupies". Bowie is allegedly guilty of some nasty shit, Led Zeppelin could be guilty of sexual assault if you believe rumors like the mudshark thing, etc. It's like you have to do something heinous to even get blackballed from the music industry (see: Watkins, Ian).

The mudshark thing is true, trust me on this.

On a much happier note, for those of you into weird musical oddities from the past, they are putting together anthology comps of some of the oddball stuff from Lux Interior's record collection. Think "Dr. Demento" only way cooler.

• Like 1

I dont know if this is better for the metal thread because they've been like borderline for years, so I'm going to post it here with the warning that it's discordant as fuck

Daughters are back. Their self-titled album is one of my favorite rock records. They seem to be posturing for an even larger, more theatrical thing, and I am down.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I'm so sorry, what did you do to deserve this, you seem like a good dude.

Well, you were a teenager in uh....the mid 70s, so your favorite music is probably uh...... Captain & Tenille, Frankie Valli, Neil Sedaka and um.....*scans list of 1975 singles* America. Yeah...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2