DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

EDIT: I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I DID, I TRIED TO ADD A QUOTE AFTER THE FACT AND NOW THIS HAS HAPPENED

Eh! That's what I thought about the weird thing I did for Album of the Year and that got like twelve different responses. So if 8-12 people put in 1-3 albums they liked from the last decade, that's anywhere from 16-36 albums which is pretty respectable! We're not going for a Sociologically Accurate Document, but like "Hey here's what these people you will never stop posting near thought about the last decade of music!"

I listen mostly to classic rock, hair metal, a bit of country, some jazz and classical/opera, and whatever my current obsession might be. (recent:  80's hardcore, early 00's pop-emo, showtunes - each obsession usually lasts a few weeks until I burn out and go back to my comfort musics)

Point being, I don't know too much about what is new. I like a few things. I love HAIM's second album, for instance. But I would be hard-pressed to even make a top 10 for the last decade - and it would be pretty well mainstream, like Miranda Lambert, or Taylor Swift's 1989

The power cord on my Sirius receiver bit the dust so I spent the week listening to Chris Stapleton's three albums, Wheeler Walker Jr's two albums, Drive By Truckers "American Band", Sturgill Simpson's "Sailor's Guide To Earth", Alison Krauss' "Windy City" and Vince Gill's "Down To My Last Bad Habit' multiple times. I don't recall a bad song in the bunch(especially in the cases of Stapleton and Walker). I went ahead and added Ghost's "Prequelle", Midland's "On the Rocks" and Greatest Hits sets from Waylon and Johnny Paycheck. Again not a bad song in the bunch. That is 188 songs on a USB drive and none of them suck.

• Like 1

Hearing that most in this thread listen to older music, and then checking out the "What's your age?" thread... yeah, I'm not surprised. Ya'll about the same age as my Dad, and he's the same way (except for liking Chris Stapleton, newer releases from old bands/artists he likes, and TV/YouTube rips from shows like The Voice, American Idol, etc).

I could definitely do a past decade best of list. I could probably do one that ranges from the mid/late 90s until right now, infact.

On a sidenote, if ya'll aren't listening to the new Kamasi Washington, you're fuckin' up.

I haven't listened to enough Stapleton to really be a huge fan, but I like what I've heard.

I've listened to plenty of music from this decade, but I'm not sure Converge, POS, Deafheaven, Dessa, et al are exactly likely to make much of a dent in a best of the decade list.

There's some allegations of rape from 2000 coming out against Maynard from Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer. One specifically, then there's a few stories from different people on the Tool subreddit (but I linked to the thread that's on r/indieheads), and the guy who runs Toolshed telling stories about how Maynard would pick up teenage girls (seemingly knowing the age of consent laws wherever he went, suspiciously) on tour back in the 90s. If you take the Twitter thread out of the story, it's all just your typical skeevy rockstar shit, with stagehands and roadies trying to get girls to come backstage. But the Twitter thread story is pretty damning, since it's straight up rape.

This really hurts me, because Tool is one of my favorite bands and was my first concert experience back in 2007. Maynard has always seemed really.... uh, weird, I guess. It's really painful to see some of the responses from Tool fans, since a good percentage of their fanbase are dudebros or basement dweller types, and you can already imagine how they're responding to this.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

There's some allegations of rape from 2000 coming out against Maynard from Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer. One specifically, then there's a few stories from different people on the Tool subreddit (but I linked to the thread that's on r/indieheads), and the guy who runs Toolshed telling stories about how Maynard would pick up teenage girls (seemingly knowing the age of consent laws wherever he went, suspiciously) on tour back in the 90s. If you take the Twitter thread out of the story, it's all just your typical skeevy rockstar shit, with stagehands and roadies trying to get girls to come backstage. But the Twitter thread story is pretty damning, since it's straight up rape.

This really hurts me, because Tool is one of my favorite bands and was my first concert experience back in 2007. Maynard has always seemed really.... uh, weird, I guess. It's really painful to see some of the responses from Tool fans, since a good percentage of their fanbase are dudebros or basement dweller types, and you can already imagine how they're responding to this.

Not shocking.

It's all been a farce since AEnima.

So I've been of the opinion that Death Grips has really been suffering since losing their mystique and becoming Just Another Band, but all of a sudden they have a new album that has some of the best songs they've ever put out. It's called Year of the Snitch and you can hear it in full here. I'm doing the text link to spare everyone who may not be interested from the cover art, cuz it nasty.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

So I've been of the opinion that Death Grips has really been suffering since losing their mystique and becoming Just Another Band, but all of a sudden they have a new album that has some of the best songs they've ever put out. It's called Year of the Snitch and you can hear it in full here. I'm doing the text link to spare everyone who may not be interested from the cover art, cuz it nasty.

Must admit I rather like it! I have to cop to not being all that familiar with Death Grips, but I'm digging what I hearing... Ah, more stuff to download... Thanks!

After the very brief discussion, uh, somewhere in this forum with respect to Scott Hutchinson's death and Frightened Rabbit and Midnight Organ Fight, I found The Winter of Mixed Drinks at Papa Jazz Used Records in Columbia, SC (i.e., one of the only good reasons to visit that shithole city and state).

And I really have to wonder what the fuck has been wrong with musicians for the last 10+ years. Not every album has to be all things to all people and sound like all the other stuff. Winter is ambitious and bigger and brighter, but that totally shot in the foot all the things that made the other album so fucking great. There's no ebb and flow or change in pace, nothing down that sets off the up moments or vice versa. See also Arcade Fire going from Funeral to Neon Bible, see every Foo Fighters album since 2000, and I'm sure people way hipper than me can point out 15 other examples. It's the sort of thing that makes me appreciate the career of a band like Sleater-Kinney all the more, because their album from a few years ago could have been released by them at any point since Dig Me Out and sound entirely like it belonged in their catalog and also like an album only they could do. I'll probably dig up the other Frightened Rabbit albums at some point, but it will be with a heaping helping of, "How much of a letdown will this be?"

Oddly enough, also on the list of things I picked up in that trip was Figure 8, and if ever there was a guy who changed his sound to his detriment, Elliott Smith might be the Trope Maker there. Figure 8 has its moments, much like XO did, but you also realize, listening to it, that, had he been picked up by a major label very early in his career, he might have never done "Between the Bars" as it is on Either/Or (which is as close to perfect as a song gets). 

It's a weird juxtaposition to what I'll be doing tonight, since I'm going to another one of Lera Lynn's shows, and if there were ever someone who's figured out the value of being herself and staying in her lane, it's Lera. One of many reasons why I love her.

On 6/25/2018 at 7:00 PM, Casey said:

While I wouldn't exactly be surprised, I really, really hope this isn't true.

Why sure, I'll be the first person to mention Liz Phair in the Music forum and say that I picked up Girly-Sound to Guyville. Interesting listen, though a bit sad in a sense. I pretty much checked out on her stuff after the 2003 album that was a shlocky, uninteresting cash grab. But, this was still a good purchase that gives a nice insight into the process, much like the 20th-anniversary re-release of Girlfriend did for Matthew Sweet's best album. Disappointing to think, though, that ever since recording this set of songs, she's felt the need to revisit and mine them again with every single album she's put out (aside from the aforementioned '03 release). That made sense with, say, Whip-Smart, but in 2010? You know, make up your mind already - move on, or don't move on, but don't half-ass it. This stuff probably could have been released 10 years ago if she'd really felt like doing it.

And don't worry, my own waxing nostalgic over 90s acts is now complete.

Got a piece of spam from the place that showed that TSOL/DKs abortion (well, the latter part was an abortion anyway) and they're hosting a "Day of the Maggots" that's full of late '90s nostalgia -- the covering acts are as follows

(Sic)

Now I'm Nothing

Hellbilly Deluxe 

White Pony

and opening this bill is... I so wish I was making this up...

THE FRED DURST EXPERIENCE

The only question I have about that last one is, does that come with a free case of HPV? 

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Got a piece of spam from the place that showed that TSOL/DKs abortion (well, the latter part was an abortion anyway) and they're hosting a "Day of the Maggots" that's full of late '90s nostalgia -- the covering acts are as follows

(Sic)

Now I'm Nothing

Hellbilly Deluxe 

White Pony

and opening this bill is... I so wish I was making this up...

THE FRED DURST EXPERIENCE

The only question I have about that last one is, does that come with a free case of HPV? 

It's actually a tour. The next night it will be stopping in the ninth circle of Hell.

• Haha 1

There's a beat tape record label on bandcamp called Paxico Records and I listen to everything they put out at least once. I tend to keep it to myself though cuz I know that I'm maybe weird for just listening to beat tapes by themselves and whatever.

I have to break that tradition because the new Swarvy record, "Anti-Anxiety," is some magic, so please check it out.

That feeling when you get to see a legendary band you've loved forever with lofty expectations and they completely blow them out of the water. Tonight was one of the greatest nights of my life, I love the Get Up Kids SO much!!!!!!