DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

On 5/24/2018 at 4:58 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Preaching to the choir sir

SHame when someone doing a cheap publicity stunt for attention has it backfire on them.  She didn't need to do it.  Funny back when you may have wanted to see Janet naked she covered it all up.  By the time she passed her best before date she thinks she's Lil Kim

33 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

SHame when someone doing a cheap publicity stunt for attention has it backfire on them.  She didn't need to do it.  Funny back when you may have wanted to see Janet naked she covered it all up.  By the time she passed her best before date she thinks she's Lil Kim

This dude trying to convince us that he wouldn't want to look at Janet Jackson naked right fucking now...

tenor.gif

• Like 2

You know, I can recall going to many movies in theaters in the earlier part of the decade, and thinking to myself, "Wow, these Sprite commercials are really dumb. I feel bad for this wannabe rapper who thinks being a Thirst Transformer named Beatbox is a good thing. His career is going to go nowhere."

Eventually, I saw him at Raptors games and mistakenly thought, "Hey, why are they focusing on Sprite Guy?" only to learn later who he really was.

In retrospect, I think I may have had Drake's fame gauged appropriately the first time. Stupid Beatbox.

Why is Slayer not in the Rock and Roll hall of fame? Like, why in the fuck are they not in??? They are FUCKING SLAYER, they should have their own goddamned wing in the place.

14 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Yup, it's totally because a publicity stunt went wrong. That's also why Justin Timberlake's career cratered immediately following.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jann Wenner ain't need no Slayer

Readers Digest>Rolling Stone, RD is far more hip and edgy.

I saw this on television when I was a kid and no one has ever believed me when I told them it was an actual thing.

I am convinced that the best purpose that YouTube will ever serve is proving that not all old people have Alzheimer's.

Does anyone have any online sources for who is playing instruments on individual songs?  I've been listening to a lot of Funkadelic lately, and would like to know who is playing what instruments on songs where 15 different people are playing.  They have such a crazy collection of talent, I kind of want to appreciate their individual contributions to the whole.  Some of them like Eddie Hazel and Bootsy Collins have styles that are easy to identify, but who plays those drums on "I Miss My Baby" or the bassline on "I'll Stay?"  Is there really no record of this online anywhere?

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

Does anyone have any online sources for who is playing instruments on individual songs?  I've been listening to a lot of Funkadelic lately, and would like to know who is playing what instruments on songs where 15 different people are playing.  They have such a crazy collection of talent, I kind of want to appreciate their individual contributions to the whole.  Some of them like Eddie Hazel and Bootsy Collins have styles that are easy to identify, but who plays those drums on "I Miss My Baby" or the bassline on "I'll Stay?"  Is there really no record of this online anywhere?

For I Miss My Baby, the original LP of US Music With Funkadelic credits Harvey McGhee as the sole drummer, so that answers the first part, and there are two credited bass players on Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, one was Boogie Monsson, the other is Jimmy Calhoun. I don't have the record in front of me, so I'm not sure if the liner notes indicate which track or tracks Calhoun guested on. I use Discogs for basically every question like that, with varying success.

Edited by grilledcheese
Added a sentence.

15 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

For I Miss My Baby, the original LP of US Music With Funkadelic credits Harvey McGhee as the sole drummer, so that answers the first part, and there are two credited bass players on Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, one was Boogie Monsson, the other is Jimmy Calhoun. I don't have the record in front of me, so I'm not sure if the liner notes indicate which track or tracks Calhoun guested on. I use Discogs for basically every question like that, with varying success.

Thanks, I didn't even think about checking Discogs.  The issue with a lot of Funkadelic songs is that there are times when there are upwards of 15 people in the band, and their roles are described as vaguely as humanly possible.  Honestly, Bootsy Collins is one of the most iconic members of the band, but he's rarely credited at all.  

• Like 1

Here is a horrific thing to invoke, that I'm willing to take awful awful horrible credit for:

we're kind of running out of Decade here, so I was wondering about how we'd handle a best of the decade thing around these parts. The thing is, I don't know that enough people can justify making a list of like 50 or whatever. If I'm wrong, someone else can do that, because ultimately I don't want to.

What I was thinking about doing instead was polling people for interest and submitting a top one-to-three albums of the decade, building a DVDVR Canon of That Decade, and then have people make a ballot out of those records.

There's a third option that might give DeathFromAbove flashbacks: we could also totally skip the albums and just do a decade songs tournament. I don't know that I'd be willing to run this.

Either way, just things floating in my mind to convince me to be invested in the future. Any thoughts?

If anyone else wants to to it go ahead, but I'm just going to say I have zero interest in running another best of the decade poll personally. I put in my time and found the lack of participation too frustrating for my tastes, though I am thankful for those who did.

34 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

thus the following paragraphs

I considered those other paragraphs before making my post. Even trying either of those methods, I'm not sure you'd get any meaningful results.

I'm not saying definitely don't do it, I'm just far from convinced we'd really learn much about the board on a whole.