DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

I think pre-One Hot Minute Chili Peppers' stuff still holds up pretty well but everything after is pretty embarrassing.

They are one of those bands where if they come on the radio it's a instant channel change and if they come on Pandora it's a quick thumbs down. God do I hate that band.

Gucci Gang is dumb, but it's the kind of dumb that works in hip-hop because it's really fun and it's not hurting anyone. I rather listen to Lil' Pump than someone like Xxxtentacion or 6ix9ine, anyway.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I think pre-One Hot Minute Chili Peppers' stuff still holds up pretty well but everything after is pretty embarrassing.

I highly disagree. Stadium Arcadium and By The Way are some of their best work, IMO. Without Frusciante, the ban'd's sad, though.

On a side-note, I saw Weird Al last night on the The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour. All original material except for the an acoustic medley at the end of the first act. Then he did an encore of Radio, Radio and The Saga Begins. It was phenomenal.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Casey said:

Gucci Gang is dumb, but it's the kind of dumb that works in hip-hop because it's really fun and it's not hurting anyone. I rather listen to Lil' Pump than someone like Xxxtentacion or 6ix9ine, anyway.

I'm pretty jazzed that I'm old enough to have no idea what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

I highly disagree. Stadium Arcadium and By The Way are some of their best work, IMO. Without Frusciante, the ban'd's sad, though.

I think their post OHM stuff is perfectly competent dad rock, but nothing I'd voluntarily listen to.  

Hard agree about Frusciante.

I think Blood Sugar Sex Magic stands up as one of the finest albums of the last thirty years.

I don't think they have ever gotten close to that level again. Califonication was a perfect background record.

saw Andrew WK last night. he was playing in a small country barn (actually a really cool venue, so much different than anything else). kick ass show. lots of energy, great party vibe, it was just awesome.

So, is it me or are we somehow glossing over the fact that somebody put a mini suicide note on Twitter and was found dead.  Because that's fucking horrible and really sad.  I've heard of Frightened Rabbit but never heard their music, but it really sucks reading that.  And the responses to the tweets are even sadder once people find out he was found dead.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Why learn about a new band who will never release new material now, when you can bang on about has-beens from your teenage years, right?

I'm listening to their most acclaimed album (Midnight Organ Fight) right now. Perhaps it's impossible to separate the music from the events connected to them, like coming to Elliott Smith a decade late, but...it's pretty fucking good. He was no great shakes as a singer, and no one member of the band is blowing my mind by any means, but there's something they clearly did right - sidestepping the cloying, precious lyrical cuteness of Wilco, owning their place as a folk-steeped band without using it like a boring, banjo-shaped crutch (looking at you, Mumford & Sons). There are other artists that come to mind, like Arcade Fire or Band of Horses, but it's only like them in the sense of doing well the things you'd wished those bands had done better. I'm going on vacation soon and this is definitely getting some play on the drive. 

But yeah. It sucks a friend of mine had to post this on FB a few days ago for me to even know these guys existed. 

On 5/12/2018 at 1:23 PM, twiztor said:

saw Andrew WK last night. he was playing in a small country barn (actually a really cool venue, so much different than anything else). kick ass show. lots of energy, great party vibe, it was just awesome.

One of the best Red Eye guests ever (God do I miss that show) and the ATHF episode he was in was one of the most demented ever (Frylock suffering from cancer and WK shows up playing "Party Party Party!").

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I was two years old when Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out.

And I was just a lad of 34...

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, Casey said:

didn’t you just pay to see a show with the fake Dead Kennedys?

...and walked out on them after two songs. (Only non-OG member was the singer, btw. Didn't matter.)

Where music's concerned, there will never be enough of both passion and spite from this end of the microphone. And I just felt like reiterating RIPPA's line. I swear...

Arguably the one OG member that was missing is the most important, though. You might still have East Bay Ray, Klaus and DH... but Jello is the most important, IMO.

but I just love Jello Biafra, so... I remember listening to his spoken word albums/shows when I was in high school. I could listen to that man talk all day long.

• Like 2

That's exactly why I walked out. It was impossible to enjoy it. The only place to sit was outside in the smoking area (fuck Joliet/The Forge) so I grabbed some concrete, bummed one from an older guy walking past and he said he was ignoring them too and only came out like me to see TSOL -- and he had already seen them at SIR Studios back in the '80s! Yeah, if that guy paid to get in, everybody got a check that day. I just hope their cut included the drink prices because WOOF. 

To make up for it I bought Fresh Fruit on vinyl last Saturday, btw. Now Jello got paid too

• Thanks 2

I have a gigantic dilemma on June 2nd: ROH is running Hammerstein the same night Shelter  (who were one of my favorite bands in high school) are playing Brooklyn Bazaar. It would kill me to miss Shelter but my best friend is a gigantic wrestling fan and I know he would love to go to the ROH show. Now if you'll excuse me I'm just going to go on YouTube and repeatedly listen to Mantra over and over again. Fun fact: Ray Cappo actually grew up in Danbury which borders my hometown of Brewster and I actually saw them years ago at the old Tuxedo Junction. Was supposed to see them in 1997 there but they were nearly killed in a horrific van accident and obviously they had to cancel the booking, but they came back a year later.