DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

The $20 Live Nation ticket deal is now on until this Monday. Got a ticket to see Rise Against in Brooklyn on August 1st. One of the supporting acts is AFI, who are actually the main reason I'm going. The other is Anti Flag, and I am soooooo looking forward to a bunch of didactic lectures from them. Seriously I like some of their songs but just like with Kid Rock I'd rather not be hectored at all night.

• Like 1

My dude, it is possible to think that one of the most popular and influential artists of his generation palling around with literal fascists is a bad thing even if he's only doing it for marketing purposes.

• Like 1

"literal"

I never said one couldn't think it's a bad thing. But it's extremely apparent he's only doing and saying these things to get his name all over the place.

23 hours ago, sabremike said:

The $20 Live Nation ticket deal is now on until this Monday. Got a ticket to see Rise Against in Brooklyn on August 1st. One of the supporting acts is AFI, who are actually the main reason I'm going. The other is Anti Flag, and I am soooooo looking forward to a bunch of didactic lectures from them. Seriously I like some of their songs but just like with Kid Rock I'd rather not be hectored at all night.

I sure wish I could score some tickets in that price range, but every show I check has only $50+ tix left.

Oh c'mon man, Johnny Cashed. You've seen enough people get it on this board from RIPPA. In real life I guess that would just mean being ignored for the rest of your miserable existence.

EDIT: Just to further elaborate for anyone who doesn't understand, when you get banned on here, you get this as your profile photo 

Spoiler

johnny-cash-finger-2.jpg?w=809

THAT is getting Cashed.

Oh, yeah, I knew what it meant on this board but didn’t know what it meant when applied to reality, haha.

I’ve been ignoring what he does in public since a few years ago, personally. I love his music (and shoes actually), but he’s kind of a trash human being. A genius for sure, but he’s got some issues.

• Like 1

I would love to go see that but tickets are running like $100, right? Also, no KK (or Jon Lord for that matter) makes me sad

...and now I know why AXSTV has ran the Classic Albums shows on both British Steel and Machine Head the past two consecutive days, for that matter. Which are awesome BTW. I just didn't put two and two together. Duh. 

Tickets for this one go on sale tomorrow, but the venue pretty much never charges more than $35, usually more like $20-25 for the hill. So I'm optimistic as of now.

DKs/TSOL was fun. Bollweevils were a great opener. TSOL was, despite some mistakes, spot on and Jack was grinning ear to ear the entire time. DKs... well, some old guys that deserve to get paid got paid, I'll leave it at that. Wasn't feeling it. 

For all the ska fans (and non-ska fans, as they are the "ska band for people who don't like ska"... like me), the new Hub City Stompers record, Hater's Dozen is out. As always they have the shittiest album cover possible 

81ureMUgGOL._SL1500_.jpg

It seems like almost a concept album of anti-love songs, and it's pretty good. When they aren't hating love-wise they're hating otherwise so at least the title works, even if the cover doesn't. At all. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Judas Priest (and Deep Purple) are coming to my small town and I'm beyond excited.

Priest was my first ever show back in 1986.  I should have gone to see them a couple of years ago.  Now that its down to being a Rob Halford solo show I can't get excited by it.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

For all the ska fans (and non-ska fans, as they are the "ska band for people who don't like ska"... like me), the new Hub City Stompers record, Hater's Dozen is out. As always they have the shittiest album cover possible 

Hide contents

81ureMUgGOL._SL1500_.jpg

It seems like almost a concept album of anti-love songs, and it's pretty good. When they aren't hating love-wise they're hating otherwise so at least the title works, even if the cover doesn't. At all. 

You misspelled "most awesome album cover possible". They are one of my favorite bands and I know the drummer Nuno from going to Red Bulls games.

• Like 1

So is anyone going to talk about that new Childish Gambino song/video? Without the video, it's a totally trash song, but the visuals make it a pretty great song because it's such a quirky, fun, disturbing video. I haven't liked anything Gambino has released since Camp, so I'm probably very bias on this issue. EP and Camp were my shit back then.

Awaken, My Love kind of alienated me and I couldn't get into it for whatever reason. Probably because that year was dominated by me listening to Kanye, Drake, A$AP Ferg, Danny Brown, Flatbush Zombies, ATCQ, Post Malone, Rae Sremmurd, RTJ...

Damn, 2016 was a pretty good year for me when looking back at what albums were released that I loved.

I like the song well enough, but with the context of the video, This is America doesn't exactly play like a jam. Both the uptempo and the trap portions are darkly tongue in cheek to the point where I'd feel like an idiot really vibing out to it. I'd have to be in a weird mood to just listen to it. That other song from the SNL performance was nice, but I still haven't heard the studio version. I wouldn't claim to be a Gambino officianado anyway. I don't I've listened to any of his albums all the way through. 

i've come to a sleep-deprived conclusion, and here it is, because it is a random music thought.

if you bought a red hot chili peppers album at any point, I don't want to hear you complain about any rappers under the age of 25, because you paid to hear anthony kiedas no matter what you tell yourself, and there's not a world where anthony kiedas is more talented than lil uzi vert or yachty or whatever

that includes me in this. i bought californication. i don't like yachty. but i can't say nothing about him otherwise because god have you listened to californication lately

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a couple of their albums, but while it's been awhile I never once got them for Kiedis's rapping.  I was much more into the cool shit Flea was doing than whatever Anthony was going on about.  I have no issues saying I liked their older stuff, and cherry picking their 2000s hits there was some decent songs too.

Then again I don't listen to rap yet somehow keep hearing about this mumble rap.  I'm not going to go all "Get off my lawn!" but if that's a thing then I'll just stick with the old shit if the mood strikes me.