DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I do not particularly like DAMN (I'd say it's his fourth best record if pressed (but I also think Untitled Unmastered is #1 and will not back down)) but A) it is hillarious that this is the first non-classical/jazz album that is going to win a pullitzer, and although it's usually enough for me that the "60s/70s Rock Is The Peak Of Western Art" crowd gets upset, B) I have been exposed to Classical Music Twitter/Reddit and they are LOSING THEIR FUCKING MINDS and it's just hysterical. Go follow NewMusicDrama on twitter if you need a good laugh this week.

• Like 1

I still don’t particularly like Kendrick, but I’ll be damned if “King’s Dead” hasn’t been in my head for a few weeks now. That’s more due to Jay Rock, though, I think.

I only like one song from DAMN.

@supremebve will like this:

Kanye is producing the following albums, and they're out within a few weeks/months:

• Pusha T: May 25th
  • Kanye: June 1st
  • Kanye & Kid Cudi (as Kids See Ghosts): June 8th
  • Nas: June 15th
  • Teyana Taylor: June 22nd

He's pretty inconsistent with release dates, so grain of salt and all. But I'm more hyped about new Kanye than anything else on that list (or anything in 2018, period). He's been showing off new Yeezys too, but I think I'm the only sneakerhead on this board, so...

On 4/23/2018 at 5:27 AM, Casey said:

@supremebve will like this:

Kanye is producing the following albums, and they're out within a few weeks/months:

• Pusha T: May 25th
  • Kanye: June 1st
  • Kanye & Kid Cudi (as Kids See Ghosts): June 8th
  • Nas: June 15th
  • Teyana Taylor: June 22nd

Kanye is doing everything in his power to make me lose interest in all of these things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Kanye is doing everything in his power to make me lose interest in all of these things.

The Kanye/MAGA convergence feels, in retrospect, completely inevitable.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, supremebve said:

This never before heard version of "Nothing Compares to You" was released yesterday on Prince's YouTube channel.

In ranking of versions of this song.

1. Prince & The New Power Generation (feat. Rosie Gaines) (live) (The Hits/B-Sides)
2. Prince (This 'un)
3. Chris Cornell (live) (KROQ Acoustic Xmas 2015)
4. Sinead O'Connor ( I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got)
5. Me First & The Gimme Gimmes (Take a Break)
6. The Family - The Family

On a vaguely related to Prince note, I picked up a presale ticket to Janelle Monae in June only to find out it comes with a digital copy of the new album... which I bought on presale months ago. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ace said:

In ranking of versions of this song.

1. Prince & The New Power Generation (feat. Rosie Gaines) (live) (The Hits/B-Sides)
2. Prince (This 'un)
3. Chris Cornell (live) (KROQ Acoustic Xmas 2015)
4. Sinead O'Connor ( I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got)
5. Me First & The Gimme Gimmes (Take a Break)
6. The Family - The Family

On a vaguely related to Prince note, I picked up a presale ticket to Janelle Monae in June only to find out it comes with a digital copy of the new album... which I bought on presale months ago. 

I think I'm going to go with...

1. The Prince studio version that was just released
  2. Sinead O'Connor's version if I see the video
  3. Prince and Rosie Gaines live duet
  4. Sinead O'Conner's version without the video
  5. The Family

I haven't heard the others, but I'll give them a listen over the next few days and see if they make their way into the top 5.

On 4/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, Zimbra said:

The Kanye/MAGA convergence feels, in retrospect, completely inevitable.

I mean, this is old news really. He was at Trump Tower during the transition.

Plus I’m pretty sure he’s just dredging this up because GOOD Music is about to dominate the entire summer and it’s free publicity. You can’t really be a supporter of Obama AND Trump, since they’re two wildly different politicians. I think Ye is just a fan of Trump, the person, which honestly worries me a little bit more than if he supported his policies and whatnot.

Either way, I try not to let political stuff affect my enjoyment for entertainment. Like the Saudi Rumble later today, or some actors/musicians’ body of work.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, this is old news really. He was at Trump Tower during the transition.

Plus I’m pretty sure he’s just dredging this up because GOOD Music is about to dominate the entire summer and it’s free publicity. You can’t really be a supporter of Obama AND Trump, since they’re two wildly different politicians. I think Ye is just a fan of Trump, the person, which honestly worries me a little bit more than if he supported his policies and whatnot.

Either way, I try not to let political stuff affect my enjoyment for entertainment. Like the Saudi Rumble later today, or some actors/musicians’ body of work.

Yeah, I don't think this is an R Kelly situation where you have to throw the whole artist away.  Just some dumb, disappointing shit.

My bigger beef with Ye is that he hasn't made anything I've really liked since Watch the Throne.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

My bigger beef with Ye is that he hasn't made anything I've really liked since Watch the Throne.

Yeah, I think all of the good stuff on The Life of Pablo is great, but everything else is borderline terrible...sometimes on the same damn song.  Father Take My Hands pt. 1 should be an all time great Kanye song, until Kanye starts rapping about assholes.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, Zimbra said:

Yeah, I don't think this is an R Kelly situation where you have to throw the whole artist away.  Just some dumb, disappointing shit.

Ye's shouting out his love for a guy who sexually assaulted a friend of mine. I'm throwing his ass away.

Fuck his new release. Go listen to Janelle Monae's new album where she sings over a fucking BRIAN WILSON harmony.

I saw The Mavericks last night. They played for an hour, walked off the stage and then came back out and played an eight song encore. Hands down the best concert I've ever been to. There aren't too many places around here where you'll have a mini conga line start up in the middle of a song.