DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Logged in exactly when tickets went on sale and the fucking touts already got them all. Hope they drown in a pool of AIDS. But I had a backup: bought a ticket for Dashboard Confessional at the end of March with the money I had budgeted. I feel... VINDICATED!!!

On 1/3/2018 at 11:57 PM, OSJ said:

Except for Sister Rosetta Tharpe preceding Ike by about twenty years...

Any questions?

The problem with the "Who invented rock and roll?" question is that there isn't really a hard and fast rule of what rock and roll is.  Sister Rosetta Tharpe is clearly a candidate, but if you go back and listen to "Rocket 88," I don't think you can describe that song as anything but rock and roll.  Sister Rosetta was playing rock guitar solos on gospel records, but Ike and them played a song in a style that couldn't be called gospel, pop, or anything else.  I don't know if Rocket 88 gets made without Sister Rosetta's influence, but rocket 88 is something completely different. 

• Like 1

So it turns out i already have a really good idea on what my favorite record of the year is going to be.

As you may know, my favorite band is a canadian group named Women. They broke up Extremely Hard: the band had two brothers that got into a fight on stage, leading to the lead singer having to flee the country and still being prohibited from returning. Thank god, I got to see them live a month before this happened. In 2012 their other guitarist, Chris Reimer, died in their sleep from an undiagnosed heart condition. Later that year, an unfinished record of his was published as the opening of the Chris Reimer Legacy Fund, a program that provides scholarships to children in dance and music education. They also announced that the fund was going through the rest of his personal recording and seeing what they could do to publish those as well.

This month, they announced the fruits of that labor- "Hello People" will be released on April 19th. I will probably cry all day.

• 2 weeks later...

FUCKING SLAYER are doing a farewell tour and they will be playing PNC arts center in Jersey. You better fucking believe I'll be there. 

Also the original Misfits are playing Prudential Center. The prices are fucking stupid: $300 for floor seats and $80 for the nosebleeds. I may get one of the "cheap" seats or I can just take half that amount and get my Slayer ticket.

A buddy of mine in Jersey paid out the ass for Misfits, says Ticketmaster is reaming folks with special fees too. I told him I see them every Halloween when I do Danzig for our cover band Teenage Martians so I'm not gonna bother haha

As for Slayer, no Jeff and no Dave = me staying at home too, even though I've never seen em.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A buddy of mine in Jersey paid out the ass for Misfits, says Ticketmaster is reaming folks with special fees too. I told him I see them every Halloween when I do Danzig for our cover band Teenage Martians so I'm not gonna bother haha

As for Slayer, no Jeff and no Dave = me staying at home too, even though I've never seen em.

The Misfits show selling out in minutes at those prices just proves the old adage: Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. 

• Like 1

So very true. I've even heard, contrary to the limited footage I've seen and initial reports, that they aren't sounding very good live either, complaints about Glenn's voice not holding up and Jerry having to hold it together. I'm not about to waste that kind of money on a less than stellar performance. 

Slayer (read: Kerry) really disappoints me with them not even trying to make an overture to Dave and just getting Paul Bostaph in again. It's the final tour, for fuck's sake. Throw some money to Paul under the table and give Dave what he deserves for a change, which is why he left in the first goddamn place. You know you're gonna double ticket sales because it's a retirement tour anyway AND you've stacked the lineup (well, not as far as I'm concerned, but for some people. All those other bands can take a walk IMO. Unless Anthrax is playing only Fistful of Metal and Testament is only playing The Legacy that is). 

Judas Fucking Priest is playing Pru Center in March and they are only selling the lower bowl for $50. I've seen them recently and Halford is still fucking amazing. If anyone got shut out of the Danzig cash grab pay 1/3rd less and go to that, because I 10000000000000% guarantee it will be a way better show. Fuck, use some of that money and go see Kid Rock for $35 as well. I'm not a huge fan but that will probably be a better show as well, and as an ECW fan I'd probably enjoy the nostolgia of some of those songs that were played on their TV show.

I saw Danzig Legacy at Bonnaroo a few years ago and it was extremely entertaining but for all the wrong reasons. Including Danzig chasing a photographer off the stage and into the VIP section and trying to beat him up.

Oh and I guess the music was okay too. I don’t know about the original Misfits lineup, but Doyle was there and they sounded okay I guess. Danzig era isn’t even my favorite era of the Misfits (‘sup Michale Graves). Played all the hits from the Misfits and his solo career, but I didn’t care at all for the Samhain stuff.

I’m forever grateful for seeing Slayer at ‘Roo and them turning the mushroom fountain into a blood fountain.

In a 4 week span I am seeing Silverstein, Senses Fail, Moose Blood, Knuckle Puck and Dashboard Confessional. Still on a total emo kick, I blame Phil Housley!

Someone told me that Lateralus is their favorite album of all time, and I couldn't stop thinking about how wrong that was.  Lateralus is like my fourth favorite tool album.  I still think the Opiate EP is the best, and I still think this is their best song:

Lateralus is being sold from Sorry State Records right now for $45. That is not a misprint. And Undertow is only one LP and it's going for $35! Absurd. 

Just a shout here, if any of you are in the market for a killer bass distortion pedal, get yourself a Blower Box. My run of the pedal is reconfigured from this and is green/black with the same Away art (yes, this is Voivod approved; they even signed the first 15 pedals) but I got ahold of it and it's a ripper, even on a practice amp. 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Someone told me that Lateralus is their favorite album of all time, and I couldn't stop thinking about how wrong that was.  Lateralus is like my fourth favorite tool album.  I still think the Opiate EP is the best, and I still think this is their best song:

Maynard's Dick is the best Tool song, what the fuck are you even talking about bruh

Going to see Story of the Year in March so the trend continues. Also Bayside and New Found Glory are playing at PlayStation Theater in May. If I could book a concert and pick any two existing bands to be on it that would probably be it. 

At the Neck Deep show last week the weirdest thing happened: they were playing music in the intermission and "Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard came on. Literally the entire crowd of like 1,800 people went crazy when it came on and sang along with the entire song. I've been going to shows for years and can never recall seeing anything like that. Don't think people realize just how big Yellowcard were for the pop punk crowd.

I'd be more psyched if it was Madlib producing a new MF DOOM album, instead of Madlib working with Mos Def & Talib Kweli and DOOM working with Czarface. Never been super into Mos Def & Kweli, individually or together, especially since I saw them live a few years ago and they were TRASH. It's really not my type of hip-hop, but who knows, I'll give it a listen when it comes out and we'll see what happens.

What excites me more about Black Star is that they've been photographed with Kanye recently, and Kanye producing other people's stuff is always a good time. Speaking of Kanye - WHERE'S THE NEW ALBUM, FAM?!?