DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

On 12/24/2017 at 3:38 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Ike Turner was an abusive piece of shit, but good Christ could that man play the bass.

Ike Turner is secretly one of the most important American musicians of all time.  He has a very good case as the inventor of rock and roll.  

On 12/28/2017 at 1:42 PM, supremebve said:

Ike Turner is secretly one of the most important American musicians of all time.  He has a very good case as the inventor of rock and roll.  

Except for Sister Rosetta Tharpe preceding Ike by about twenty years...

Any questions?

• Like 2

Everything I like is objectively great unless I stop liking it and everything you like objectively sucks even if it's something we both like. That's my motto! I'm so very lonely.

Just spent $92 on MF Doom albums the other morning. I'm going to try and get as many real (ie not bootleg/fake) albums as I can. I'm pretty happy that I found the Operation Doomsday boxset w/ lunchbox for a reallyyyy good price, too.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of Motorhead, sometimes their influence can show up in the strangest of places

Not all that strange. The Go-Gos started out as a punk band.

Yeah, I know, but still... it's the Go-Gos. 

$92?! Damn. They come with a free mask?

All jokes aside, that is one hell of a haul. Which ones did you get, specifically? I'm still kicking myself for passing up on the Madvillain LP when I saw it at our local store last year. And if you got Vaudeville Villain I wanna know where you got it at

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I know, but still... it's the Go-Gos. 

$92?! Damn. They come with a free mask?

All jokes aside, that is one hell of a haul. Which ones did you get, specifically? I'm still kicking myself for passing up on the Madvillain LP when I saw it at our local store last year. And if you got Vaudeville Villain I wanna know where you got it at

• Madvilliany
  • Unexpected Guests
  • Mm.. Food (+DVD)
  • Keys to the Kuffs
  • Mouse & The Mask (Metalface Edition)
  • Take Me to Your Leader
  • Born Like This

It was a mixture of Walmart & Amazon. The latter has Vaudeville/Venomous Villain, but only through 3rd party sellers. Only $25-35 dollars, which isn't bad for something like that. My next haul is going to be some of the collab albums, KMD's only two albums, and probably Special Blends Vol. 1 & 2. Eventually I'll have to order all the Special Herbs volumes individually, since the boxset is pretty expensive when I've found it.

I'm psyched to get that lunchbox edition of Operation Doomsday, though. I've wanted it for a long time.

Gonna have to look up that lunchbox, sounds neat. My buddy splurged for the Special Herbs box actually. Dunno how much it was, I'll ask him tomorrow. 

"Deep Fried Frienz" off Mmmm... Food has been a standard on my ever-evolving hip-hop mixtape CDR for years. You know what's really underrated? Born Like This. Glad to see you nabbed it. Also, I had no idea Walmart sold records; you better hope Amazon doesn't fuck you over btw. Third party is the only way I'd order vinyl from them again after the nightmare I endured this year. 

• Like 1

Nah, they aren't edited. Hell, I've bought CDs from Walmart in person, and they have more Parental Advisory than edited now.

Wanna point me in the direction of a record player that's not super expensive and looks like a vintage one? My roommate from years ago gave me a nice looking one that looked like something out of the 50s, but it had a tape deck and CD player too. I loved it, but it eventually stopped working :(

Jawbreaker is playing 3 shows at Brooklyn Steel in late February and tickets go on sale tomorrow. I repeat: JAWBREAKER IS PLAYING 3 SHOWS IN BROOKLYN AND TICKETS GO ON SALE TOMORROW!!!!!!!!