DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Really happy about Rosetta Tharpe, but as OSJ wrote, she's part of rock's foundation and should've gone in when they initially started the hall. 

I like Dire Straits a lot and Nina Simone absolutely deserves her due. 

Out of the possible inductees, I'd like to see J Geils Band go in. They were a terrific rhythm and blues club act, and I think their biggest hits don't really reflect what their music was about. 

This is just like WWE's hall, where you know it's bullshit but it's still fun to discuss. 

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Fuck the voters for snubbing Priest. Oh also fuck them extra hard for not having put in Iron Fucking Maiden as well. And don't get me fucking started on no Slayer...

Shit, I don't even think Sabbath and Deep Purple are in, are they? I'm not Eddie Trunk, I don't keep up on these things

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bon Jovi got in, and Judas Priest didn't. I regret going to that place 17 years ago. Fuck them.

Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly were he first inductees and I have no problem with any of those selections, which were back in 1983. However, I have a huge problem with the fact that it took another thirty-five years to induct the woman who basically invented rock & roll and that they still haven't put Link Wray in, just shows the ignorance of the voters. Granted, I have pretty low expectations of anything associated with Rolling Stone, a publication I haven't taken seriously since they stopped being printed in newspaper format. ;-)

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I'm scouring every venue in the N.Y. Metro area for pop punk and emo shows to go to. I just turned 40 and I think this is my midlife crisis. Hey Knuckle Puck is playing the White Eagle Hall in Jersey City in March! Moose Blood plays Irving Plaza that month as well!

Go see Masked Intruder if you get the chance. Great live and a hilarious stage show.

• Like 1

Sabs and Purple are both in, and they illustrate one of the biggest oddities of the Hall.

Sabbath only inducted Ozzy, Tony, Bill and Geezer. Purple inducted damn near everyone except the guys who joined in the last decade or so. Coverdale and Hughes and maybe Turner all went in along with the guys from the first few albums before they got big, and, obviously, all the Mark II guys.

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Go see Masked Intruder if you get the chance. Great live and a hilarious stage show.

I've heard some of their stuff and it's great. Would really love to see them live. So sad that the guy from The Smithereens passed away because I wanted to see them live in a few months. The song Just a Memory always makes me think of my Whalers so it actually has a real personal meaning to me.

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly were he first inductees and I have no problem with any of those selections, which were back in 1983. However, I have a huge problem with the fact that it took another thirty-five years to induct the woman who basically invented rock & roll and that they still haven't put Link Wray in, just shows the ignorance of the voters. Granted, I have pretty low expectations of anything associated with Rolling Stone, a publication I haven't taken seriously since they stopped being printed in newspaper format. ;-)

Tell us what it was like living in the colonies, Sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm surprised they even inducted Bill considering the harpy who shall not be named and her wield in the industry.

It happened when they were still on good terms. Kinda the tail end of the on again/off again reunions before Heaven & Hell/Ozzy suing Tony/Reunion without Bill.

Better than getting shit mailed to you in a box, I guess! Or for that matter getting cut completely out of an album to avoid being paid royalties to even though you wrote the material...

Sorry, I just hate that woman. It seems like the only good thing she's ever done is keep Ozzy alive for his children. She even egged Iron Maiden at Ozzfest, for fuck's sake.

Another omission that pisses me the fuck off: Ronnie James Dio. Also you want a non "rock" act that absolutely belongs in: The Skatalites. Also The Specials while we're on the subject of ska.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Another omission that pisses me the fuck off: Ronnie James Dio. Also you want a non "rock" act that absolutely belongs in: The Skatalites. Also The Specials while we're on the subject of ska.

Wait, you mean to tell me Dio isn't in the HoF?  Aw, fuck that shit!  I don't mind Bon Jovi that much, but the fact that they get in and he doesn't annoys me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, you mean to tell me Dio isn't in the HoF?  Aw, fuck that shit!  I don't mind Bon Jovi that much, but the fact that they get in and he doesn't annoys me.

He is not. Not for Rainbow, as covered above not with Sabbath, not for Dio... It's infuriating given he's the best singer in the history of recorded music.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Feh.  They keep boning Kraftwerk too.  Who cares about the R&R HOF?

Knuckle Puck ticket for White Eagle Hall in Jersey City purchased! And New Found Glory and the Bouncing Souls both just played there and I didn't go because I didn't know I could get there via the PATH train *sob*. Dashboard plays Brooklyn Steel in April and tickets are still available...

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He is not. Not for Rainbow, as covered above not with Sabbath, not for Dio... It's infuriating given he's the best singer in the history of recorded music.

I'm choking on the hyperbole. The best singer in the history of recorded music? It's cool if you're a fan, and that's your opinion obviously - but goddamn.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm choking on the hyperbole. The best singer in the history of recorded music? It's cool if you're a fan, and that's your opinion obviously - but goddamn.

Yeah, Fowler, there's a Mr. Orbison on the phone for you he seems upset.

I love Orbison but Dio is the best. Period. 

From 50's doo-whop to 70's and 80's metal to having literally lost none of his vocal power into the 2010's, nobody comes close to the breadth and scope of his career.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love Orbison but Dio is the best. Period. 

From 50's doo-whop to 70's and 80's metal to having literally lost none of his vocal power into the 2010's, nobody comes close to the breadth and scope of his career.

See, I love Dio and agree with everything you say regarding his versatility and longevity, but Orbison was just other-worldly. It's like the discussion J.T. and I were having about who was the greatest guitarist, Jimi Hendrix or Alvin Lee? When you're talking about two guys at that level, how do you even begin to call it? Sure, Alvin lived longer so he had the more impressive body of work and variety whereas Jimi only really did one thing, but he did t so much better than anyone else ever has that even though he died at 28 and Lee lived to be 67, they're both in the discussion of GOAT with (IMO) only Jeff Beck coming close.

Freddie Mercury and Harry Nilsson would also have to be in that discussion, not to mention Aretha Franklin.

In the coming years a lot of the snubs will get in because there isn't a whole bunch of first ballot types coming up.

And while I'm happy with the Nina Simone induction, I'm even happier that this might lead to more outside the box nominations like John Coltrane and Willie Nelson.

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

Freddie Mercury

Yeah I think we can close the book on the objective side of best vocalist as far as male singers go. Orbison is probably the only other argument and Freddie would probably step down himself in the face of that one. 

Subjective thinking though is nuts. For example: Guitar players. Do you really think I'm not gonna pick Tony Iommi, Pig Champion, or Dave Chandler over Alvin Lee? (sorry John)

• Like 1