DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Charles Bradley died over the weekend due to stomach cancer. While "The Screaming Eagle of Soul" was already an amazing talent in his own right, he had a habit of including interesting covers on his albums. 

Covering Nirvana: 

and covering Black Sabbath:

It's gotta be a big hit for Daptone Records, losing Sharon Jones less than a year ago and losing Charles now.

• Like 1

Got my ticket for the first night (Dec 1st) of the MXPX 25th anniversary tour in NYC (Sadly the second night was already sold out). One of my all time favorite bands, I ain't got no place to go, so I decided to go to a PUNK ROX SHOW!!! Seriously, they (and The Toasters) were like my favorite band in high school and college.

• Like 1

They're both playing a festival in Huntington Beach later this month. Sadly it's the one festival date they're doing WITHOUT Flogging Molly, and they announced and then unannounced Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

I'll get around to seeing Bad Religion at some point and then feel weird about the fact I'm a friend of one of the band members' daughter.

In other news, Weird Al announced some details about his 2018 tour. No costumes, no props, no video screens. And he's going to play very few, if any, parodies.

Oh... and Emo Phillips will open every show.

22491470_10155536575906005_5239119970592

• Like 1

"Fan club" releases are your friends. This most almighty of hardcore albums is coming in the mail. GAUZE MOTHERFUCKING GAUZE

EDIT: I just found this. In the middle, I think the crowd pushes the barrier to the front and the singer yanks probably a bouncer from the crowd and starts wailing on him. That is the proper reaction to this music. 

Having gotten the full Al experience on the last leg of his tour, I'm down for a show of nothing but original material.  The closest show to me on that tour is in Des Moines but he's scheduled to play at the Surf Ballroom which would be a drive, but would probably be a hell of a show at a historic venue.

I've been listening to Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile and the War on Drugs on repeat for a few days now.

I'm ashamed of myself for only just now discovering Courtney Barnett - holy fuck, she's incredible.

2 hours ago, BL88 said:

I have Boris tickets.

That is all.

Super jealous. The only chance I ever got to see Boris live was during the Lights in the Sky tour, opening for Nine Inch Nails in 2008. But they weren't on the Nashville date (it was HEALTH, which I was okay with).

"Pink" is a fucking awesome album.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Super jealous. The only chance I ever got to see Boris live was during the Lights in the Sky tour, opening for Nine Inch Nails in 2008. But they weren't on the Nashville date (it was HEALTH, which I was okay with).

"Pink" is a fucking awesome album.

Dang. I would maybe make a point to see them no matter what the next time they're only vaguely nearby. Their newest record, Dear, was started as an intended farewell record until they ended up recording several albums worth of material in that session. So it seems like there's a finish line in sight for Boris and we're coming up on it.

Former Marilyn Manson guitarist and founding member Daisy Berkowitz, real name Scott Putesky, passed away at age 49 due to colon cancer. 

I really liked Manson's work until about 1998. I feel like the band lost a lot after Berkowitz left.

Fuck cancer.

https://www.spin.com/2017/10/daisy-berkowitz-marilyn-manson-dead-49/